Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2018, 11:17 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Anyone using Apple TV for theirs?
Apple TV user here. The 4th gen with the SIRI remote, not the 5th gen 4k Model. I've heard really good things about the 4K model being able to run Zwift more smoothly than the previous 4th gen that I have.

I really enjoy the Apple TV, easy to use, has apps, iPhone can act as a remote and has Bluetooth audio out so I have the audio being sent directly to my cheap Bluetooth earbuds to keep the volume down in the house.

Great video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KVkjmeW6AM
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 AM

My set-up works fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zwift.JPG (139.8 KB, 406 views)
Old 10-30-2018, 11:56 AM
Ex-Mr.President

AmI correct that if you wanted to ride with someone next to you. You would need two computers/TV's to make it work? You cannot have two people using one account on one computer correct?

Two people requires two of everything?
Old 10-30-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Apple TV user here. The 4th gen with the SIRI remote, not the 5th gen 4k Model. I've heard really good things about the 4K model being able to run Zwift more smoothly than the previous 4th gen that I have.

I really enjoy the Apple TV, easy to use, has apps, iPhone can act as a remote and has Bluetooth audio out so I have the audio being sent directly to my cheap Bluetooth earbuds to keep the volume down in the house.

Great video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KVkjmeW6AM
Thanks for the link kppolich! That's a very helpful, and thorough, video.

I was wondering about the ANT+ capacity vs bluetooth connectors and the video has a great work-around. It seems like Apple TV 4K will be a good solution for setting up a dedicated bike for my wife. I may just redo my setup as well. Screen prices are pretty reasonable in the under 32" range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
AmI correct that if you wanted to ride with someone next to you. You would need two computers/TV's to make it work? You cannot have two people using one account on one computer correct?

Yes, two accounts, but you could run two zwift apps simultaneously on a single powerful computer, split screened or to twin monitors. Or you could use a tandem bike with your combined weight entered and ride as a single avatar, together. I was inquiring about Apple TV because the unit cost is low ~$179 + screen ($100) + trainer. I think dual Apple TV setups might be the most straightforward setup for side-by-side Zwifting.

Zwift may be considering shared accounts (household pricing) but that may be a ways off, and may not allow side-by-side setup.

Last edited by 93KgBike; 10-30-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:04 PM

It can be done on a shared PC, but it's easier/faster/more convenient just to get another appleTV. The big thing is that it currently requires 2 separate accounts. I wish they would introduce the highly demanded family plan.

Quote:

Old 10-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Thanks for the tips.

I wish they would do some cross or mtb courses. I know you wouldn't hop off of the bike, but I find ZWIFT incredibly boring and start every year, ride for about a month or two and then cannot stand getting on it. I just use training videos now or I record the UCI cross races and just pedal through that and up the tempo during commercials.

I know TACX has videos you cn buy that works with their trainers, but i haven't heard much on them in my searching.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link kppolich! That's a very helpful, and thorough, video.

I was wondering about the ANT+ capacity vs bluetooth connectors and the video has a great work-around. It seems like Apple TV 4K will be a good solution for setting up a dedicated bike for my wife. I may just redo my setup as well. Screen prices are pretty reasonable in the under 32" range.

Yes, two accounts, but you could run two zwift apps simultaneously on a single powerful computer, split screened or to twin monitors. Or you could use a tandem bike with your combined weight entered and ride as a single avatar, together. I was inquiring about Apple TV because the unit cost is low ~$179 + screen ($100) + trainer. I think dual Apple TV setups might be the most straightforward setup for side-by-side Zwifting.

Zwift may be considering shared accounts (household pricing) but that may be a ways off, and may not allow side-by-side setup.
Sidenote, the apple tv will only talk to 2 bluetooth sensors -- so the CABLE pod I described earlier would be good for connecting more (it creates a profile with all your sensors and sends it as one Bluetooth item)
Old 10-30-2018, 10:59 PM

Here's my recently finished setup:
Old 10-31-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Anyone using Apple TV for theirs?
Yeah, I use the apple 4k box...for me, it was the best way to go as my computer wouldn't run zwift well...works flawlessly and just shoots it onto tv via bluetooth from the kickr...as I dont have a smart phone it bypassed all of that as well. It works pretty simply with no ant wires or any of that. I ordered a rockerplate as well which should arrive next week and am looking forward to that setup.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:16 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_fighter View Post

Really nice! Watopia map is a nice touch
Old 10-31-2018, 10:03 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:

Where did you get that stand your computer is on? That would be perfect for my deal.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocarider View Post
A "his and hers" set up so my wife and I can ride together in Watopia.
This is what I need.

My wife spent lots of time last winter on our Kickr, while I was spinning nearby on the rollers.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:16 AM

I built it...It was actually a front fork mount for the rollers. It's similar to the wahoo desk. In the future, I'll probably switch to an Ipad stand and move the fork stand back over to the rollers.

Quote:
Where did you get that stand your computer is on? That would be perfect for my deal.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:53 PM

Don't want to sidetrack the intent of the OP's post, but is anyone else having a hard time calibrating a Wahoo Kickr within Zwift? Since the recent updates, my unit refuses to calibrate. Through the Wahoo Kickr app on my phone I can calibrate, but the routine fails within Zwift.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
How's the Climb?

Tags
zwift