Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 03:52 PM

Rapha bibs

I have a pair of Rapha Core bibs that I like. I’m wondering whether the Pro Team Training bibs are a worthwhile upgrade for someone who rides 10-15 hours a week?
Old 03-29-2020, 04:33 PM

Never had the core bibs but I have 4 pairs of the pro team bibs and a pair of the classic bibs and they are some of the nicest bibs I own. For shorter rides of 90-120 minutes pretty much anything will work within reason. When I go longer, 3h plus, I’m a huge fan of Rapha offerings. I’ve also really liked sportful total comfort which can be had on sale for much less. I think Excel was recently blowing em out for around $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2020, 04:38 PM

Why not give them a try? I love the Rapha Pro bibs. They fit a bit snugger than the Classic Bibs. I cant compare them to the Core bibs. I equally enjoy the Assos Equipe s7. They are well priced if you shop around.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:07 PM
aka RAEKWON

The pro team stuff is very nice. They have a lot more compression that the other lines. I have a few pairs and like em more than the classic. I never tried the core but I also really like the brevet line, which to me is an in btw, a little more compression than classic but not as much as pro
Old 03-29-2020, 09:17 PM

If you're riding 10-15 hours a week (moving time) you owe yourself more than a couple pairs of bibs so you can rotate them and keep them all lasting longer. The Core bibs, while nice, don't last - it's the fabric on the legs that will give up first.

The Core uses the Classic chamois which is great, the Pro Team line uses a thinner and firmer pad. I like both, but just something to be aware of.

The Pro Team Training bib is the same as the first generation Pro Team bib - it's fine but doesn't have the same compression as the current Pro Team II bib. The Pro Team Training bib also uses a pretty outdated gripper design - they work fine but I think the Pro Team II is nicer in that regard as well.

Lastly, Rapha is releasing a new Pro Team bib in the near future and that may change the pricing of the current bibs. I think that comes out in May from looking at their site.

Just some things to consider - I think you'll be happy with any of the Pro Team offerings as an upgrade from the Core.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:41 PM

I just ordered the pro team training bibs and used them for the first time today on a 71 mile solo ride. They worked great. As others have mentioned they have more compression. They also come up pretty high in the front where I couldn't just pull the front down to use the bathroom.

I also have classic, core and flyweight pro team bibs. The flyweight pro team is my favorite but all of them are good. My only issue with the core is that the legs openings are weirdly loose around the bottom when I put them on.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:08 PM

The PT training bibs are my favorite with the Cargo bib shorts being a close second but way too hot to wear about 80F.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:00 PM

For an “upgrade,” I prefer the Classic bibs. The material and chamois are so nice. The pro team bibs are nice, too, but they’re cut a bit differently (more aggressive) and most of the time I don’t need to pretend I’m racing.

I think the core bibs are a reasonable good value.