Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 06:11 AM

Planning a 120km ride tomorrow. Solo excursion.

It's going to be °F39 (4°C) tomo so I need to wear all the winter gear.

Last edited by Thrust; 03-28-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:20 AM

Lovely day here yesterday! Temp close to 70, breezy, partly cloudy. Parks are 'closed' but allowing pedestrians and bicycles through the gates. Got in my usual daily 32 from the house down to Occoquan Regional Park and back- what we locals call "The O Loop':
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2752.jpg (149.9 KB, 242 views)
Old 03-28-2020, 10:10 AM

Currently half way in to a planned 100 miles. Stopped for a burger and Cheerwine float. Sunny and 85 degrees.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:00 PM

Metric today

An easy-going metric today, 62.3 miles. Breezy, cloudy, upper 40Fs. Starting to see a few other riders out as it warms up. Oddly, none on the eastern portion of my route, just in WT, Chilmark, and Aquinnah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anderson WT Grange Hall.jpg (121.8 KB, 210 views)
Old 03-28-2020, 03:20 PM

Went on a nice 27 mile ride today, took out one of the vintage Serotta's (NHX) felt good but still feeling a little out of shape from a prolonged time off the bike and the remnants of the porky belly I was sporting for a while (am still on the New Year weight loss challenge and have shrunk quite a bit..) the breezy headwind wasn't exactly helping either! I will say that there's a lot more people out and they are definitely friendlier - lots of waves and hellos - this pandemic has brought out some bad in people but I think it's brought out the good in the majority of them.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Weather here in Pittsburgh has been outstanding lately. A few days of rain but matched by an equal number of nice days in 60s and 70s even this weekend. Wind was notably strong today which made descending quite an adventure.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:24 PM

In the hills of western Kentucky -

Got in a nice 50 miles on Thursday the 26th, the weather was just too good to pass up.

It was very windy today, but still got in 20 miles. It seemed like a headwind no matter which way I turned, but I guess that make for a better workout, right?

It sure is nice to skip the rollers a few times.

Might get out again tomorrow, another nice day is forecast.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:25 PM

Yes.... first outdoor ride of the season today. Ski hills are closed, backcountry skiing is somewhat off limits for those that are responsible (ie me) so riding is 3rd choice in late March. Reasonably nice day.... stayed mostly dry (need to get fenders on bike tomorrow) and got in a pleasant but SLOW 50K. Saw a few others out..... all solo.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
In the hills of western Kentucky -

Got in a nice 50 miles on Thursday the 26th, the weather was just too good to pass up.

It was very windy today, but still got in 20 miles. It seemed like a headwind no matter which way I turned, but I guess that make for a better workout, right?

It sure is nice to skip the rollers a few times.

Might get out again tomorrow, another nice day is forecast.
Whereabouts in WKy are you? Too windy for me to get out in Lexington yesterday, though I had a good ride Saturday.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:51 PM

What's the consensus on cycling during the pandemic?

Should all cyclists stop going on solo rides, with the fear or crashing on roads and needing medical attention?

Thoughts? If the state says it's ok to exercise within the parameters of distancing, does that mean we should hang up the bibs til this clears?
Old 03-30-2020, 02:01 PM

Virginia's Governor just put the state on home lock down. Since I'm considered essential at work I'll still get in 20 miles a day anyway. Might take the long way home on a few occasions.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:16 PM

Gov. Ralph Northam issued a stay-at-home order for Virginians on Monday in an effort to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

He said no one is allowed to leave their homes unless it’s for essential work, food or medical reasons, or to get some fresh air or exercise while maintaining social distancing.

The last part is the confusing part. So that means people who cycle as a form of exercise, shouldn't?
Old 03-30-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
Gov. Ralph Northam issued a stay-at-home order for Virginians on Monday in an effort to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

He said no one is allowed to leave their homes unless it’s for essential work, food or medical reasons, or to get some fresh air or exercise while maintaining social distancing.

The last part is the confusing part. So that means people who cycle as a form of exercise, shouldn't?
It may be the same as Maryland's order.

Tim
Old 03-30-2020, 03:01 PM

light traffic and perfect weather the last couple of weeks here and have been doing 30-35 miles every day.

got rained out today...but will be out again tomorrow which will put me at ~750 mi for the month.

as long as I avoid a couple of routes with newly-installed 'segregated' bike lanes (hate them anyway), it's relatively easy to avoid other people.

as far as not riding because you might crash and need medical help, you can engage in any of dozens of activities that might require going to the hospital.

are you going to stop doing ALL of these...? yeah, me neither.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:48 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
What's the consensus on cycling during the pandemic?

Should all cyclists stop going on solo rides, with the fear or crashing on roads and needing medical attention?

Thoughts? If the state says it's ok to exercise within the parameters of distancing, does that mean we should hang up the bibs til this clears?
I'm still doing one weekend day ride with a friend, maintaining respectable distance…Alone Together (H/T to Dave Mason). I tone down my aggressiveness while descending and we take a lane on PCH in hopes of staying safer. I think of it as staying within the boundaries given by rational public officials.

Two friends rode up the closed section of 39 Saturday (mission to retrieve a lost wallet). To me that is venturing outside those boundaries because of the increased risk attributable to poor road surface and general remoteness. It sure looked beautiful, though, and it's top of my list for when some normalcy returns.

Just my own approach, hope that's of some help.