Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 07:11 PM

Knee Pain, Inflammation, and (Intermittent Fasting)

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...d-inflammation

On the thread I started about wheels, I mentioned the weight I have lost since 1/1 via intermittent fasting.

One surprise positive side effect is that my knees don't hurt after riding. When I started road bike riding in 2001, I was already a "clyde" at 195+ to 200+ lbs.

And I would have knee pain after riding a longish ride. Somewhere about 15+ miles. I thought that I just didn't have a good fit. But this still happened after being seen by a good bike fitter. I would be more comfortable on the bike but I would still have knee pain. I just thought there might have been some kind of permanent damage in my knees.

I went out in February during a nicer winter day and I realized that I don't have knee pain the next day, despite dealing with quite a few rolling hills. At first I thought that by being a little lighter there were less burden on my knees. But then I realize that this also happens in the trainer, as in I would have the same issue before after riding the stationary bike, but now I don't see that issue anymore even I am spending more time on the trainer.

So, I am not sure how valid the research on the inflammation relating to intermittent fasting, but based on personal experience I do think it helps. Who knows, maybe it is just placebo or a side effect of weight loss.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:14 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Are you doing more fluids while fasting? Are you fasting totally, or like me broths while fasting? Broth=liquid and salt. Extra liquids; HO2/hydration. Other fluids consider electrolyte content etc.

Just spit balling...
Old 03-29-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Are you doing more fluids while fasting? Are you fasting totally, or like me broths while fasting? Broth=liquid and salt. Extra liquids; HO2/hydration. Other fluids consider electrolyte content etc.

Just spit balling...
I am definitely drinking a lot of water throughout the day. During the fasting cylce I only drink black coffee and water.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:32 AM

Losing weight you effectively lower the gear ratio on your bike for climbing.

For a given speed in a given gear on a given grade when you're climbing your legs are not having to push as hard, which will help your knees.

Also if you lost significant weight you might have freed up flexibility in your back & hips that is helping range of motion which can help your knees. Sitting differently from less fat around your waist can act like a fit change.

Everything is connected.. it might not be anything to do with "inflammation" and could just be you're moving different.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Losing weight you effectively lower the gear ratio on your bike for climbing.

For a given speed in a given gear on a given grade when you're climbing your legs are not having to push as hard, which will help your knees.

Also if you lost significant weight you might have freed up flexibility in your back & hips that is helping range of motion which can help your knees. Sitting differently from less fat around your waist can act like a fit change.

Everything is connected.. it might not be anything to do with "inflammation" and could just be you're moving different.
Thanks! Yeah everything is connected. I wonder if it applies the same when I am on stationary bike.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:02 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Agree with the flexibility as possible issue. I lost right at 40 lb and the difference in my pelvis tilt and thus the posture of my spine is a lot different. I was getting lower back stiffness on and after ride for a while.