Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 10:58 AM

yep...a few years back...went out for a long spring training ride in the rain on filth-covered roads...4 flats, ran out of tubes and those self-stick park patches arent really intended for instllation on filthy/damp wheels standing on the roadside in the rain...was 50 miles from home, all other cyclist had better sense than to be riding on such a crappy day, had to call in wifey for extraction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
This guy did and it probably made his day

"On Tuesday, McColl suffered a puncture for the third time in just two hours while out cycling on the island. Out of spare inner tubes, the Scotsman waited at the side of the road before flagging down the first group of riders he saw."

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...-bunch-of-kids

Last edited by wallymann; 01-28-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:00 AM

I still carry a small patch kit in addition to spare tubes.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:11 AM

I've rarely been stranded on a bike ride, and never due to flat tires. I've had 3+ flats on a ride a few times, but I carry 2 spare tubes and a patch kit (and a pump instead of CO2 cartridges). I've had large enough slashes that I've had to boot tires a few times. Once, I had a casing rupture to large too boot, but this was on an organized century ride, and another rider was carrying a spare tire which he gave me, so I was able to complete the ride. But I've never had abandon a ride due to flats.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:13 AM

Question

I had it happen in 2000.. I was too naive to prep the wheels/rim tape properly at that point. Got a ride after the 3rd one.

I carry a patch kit and a tube always now on any bike.. haven't used the patch kit in 15+ years though.

I think tires have gotten better in the last 10 years.. the only thing that would explain it for me, cause the roads have gotten worse.

My more bizarre one was carrying a chain tool + spare pins for 16 years, never getting a single broken chain. Then I finally went weight weenie on my carbon bike in the spring of 2016 and within about 2 weeks had broken my chain far from home with no tools or spare pin. And I was in an organized century and about a hundred people stopped to try and help me and not a single one had a chain tool or pin.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:20 AM
Everything is connected

Cool story…I just watched the highlights from the 2016 de Ronde van Vlaanderen while on the trainer last evening, where Sagan decides to turn on the afterburner on the last climb of the Paterberg with Cancellera and Vanmarcke on his tail…beast.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:26 PM

I did a MTB race once when I got 4 flat tires. On that 4th one I was stranded. Another guy came by, a friend of mine and LBS owner and he tossed me a tube. I was so grateful for that! I got it installed started pumping it up and it was flat LOL. When I finally got back to the finish line he apologized realizing later that he had given me the tube that he flatted earlier. Man that was a rocky race.

I probably should carry two tubes but so far a patch kit and spare tube has been good. I do ride a lot with others too so there's always more.

About ten years ago or so I had to ride a flat about 15 miles home. It was a junky Bontrager Race wheel so I didn't care. Much to my surprise I was able to sand out the minor rim dents and that wheel lasted many more years. Tubulars I don't mind so much riding flat but I always like to carry a spare and some sealant too.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:10 PM
DELETE ACCNT

@redir
for road, my highest probable flats are:
1. puncture (nail, pin, etc)
2. puncture +tire tear
A dollar bill or plastic bag barely may work if the cut is small.

But I always carry a small piece of gorilla tape rolled up. No weight takes no space, and ultra strong.
Never used a tube patch but used the gorilla tape at least twice. More likely with thin road tire casings.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:14 PM

I had 13 flats in about 50 miles.

I have never been stranded due to flats.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:17 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I've had 13 flats in maybe 7 years. That's including all my bikes.
Never been stranded.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:19 PM

I usually get on flat every 4-5,000 miles

Don't ride hearse tires in the pouring rain on highways strewn with stuff that penetrates their wimpy casings and you won't get 13 flats. Nonetheless, I was not stranded.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:05 PM

Only time stranded was due to a chain break. Not far from home, called the wife for an extraction.

I had a cassette loosen up on me in the hills of western Mass. Was able to tighten it up using (I can't remember what...a stick, short screwdriver???) But it worked...

Never had more than one flat on a ride, whether I was riding sewups years ago or clinchers. I did shred a Michelin Race tire once, on some smooth road. Headed straight home after that, pulled them off and pitched them.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-28-2022, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Only failure that left me walking was a grenaded RD. it was a loooong walk and i carry a chain tool now.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:02 PM

Yup, mountain biking taught me to always bring a chain tool. I have one on my handy multi tool.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:26 PM

Looks like redir and I are the only ones who have ridden their hopelessly flat tires home.

For me it was about 5 miles.

If you can't ride the flat home, your wheels are too expensive.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:54 PM
I need you cool.

Only time I have been stranded was when I was out with some new wheels and got a flat...pulled out a fresh tube. Doh....34mm stem and not long enough for the 35mm rim depth...didn't think to replace spare tube in kit. Called wife for the car ride of shame back home.

Used to ride with a guy that did triathlons...he got a flat once and didn't have a spare tube...would have loved to help, but he had 650c wheels. It was only about 2 miles back to his car....I am sure he was fine.

Most flats I ever had on a ride was 3....I had two tubes, and the last flat was only 1/2 mile from home so I walked. This was back in early '90's when 20mm tires were cool....freakin' snake bike flats.