Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 12:16 PM

2015, this will be bigger

2913B24B-F086-4E13-A6B1-57DACF20791B.jpg

Last edited by buddybikes; 01-28-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I have a pair of Nokian Freddies Revenz Lite 26 x 2.3" studded tires that I've never mounted on my MTB. I'm thinking of installing them and going for a ride on the South/North County Trailways on Sunday after the snowstorm in NYC is over. How deep is too deep in your experience?
Put my Nokians on the trash bike last night. "Too deep" varies depending on snow consistency- a bunch of powder is way easier to deal with than a couple of inches of chocolate slush......
Old 01-28-2022, 12:58 PM

The snow will come up from the ground? Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
2015, this will be bigger

Attachment 1698038911
Old 01-28-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
The snow will come up from the ground? Whoa!
It's lighter than air. No need to shovel, just watch your overhead clearance.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:55 PM

No idea why this does it, think I will submit upside down and will appear correct. Dog survived, see what happens to him tomorrow
Old 01-28-2022, 02:26 PM

28 inches possible for Boston. We do snow, but that's a lot of snow. Every year I say this is the year I'll break down and get a snowblower, and then I say nah, I'll save the money and get a free workout instead. Then we get a storm like this. I can just tell Saturday night is going to be filled with heating pads and ibuprofen after a very long day of shoveling.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
28 inches possible for Boston. We do snow, but that's a lot of snow. Every year I say this is the year I'll break down and get a snowblower, and then I say nah, I'll save the money and get a free workout instead. Then we get a storm like this. I can just tell Saturday night is going to be filled with heating pads and ibuprofen after a very long day of shoveling.
How much property do you have to shovel? 28" is a ton of snow to move manually. I have a snowblower and my driveway is big enough now that i want a plow.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
How much property do you have to shovel? 28" is a ton of snow to move manually. I have a snowblower and my driveway is big enough now that i want a plow.
About 30 feet of city sidewalk and 40 feet of driveway. I did it all by hand in 2015 when we had blizzard after blizzard. I suppose shoveling out a driveway in the city during a blizzard is one of those "good problems" as at least we have a place to put the cars and don't have to fight over claiming street parking.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Not much of an event here in NJ, 5 inches or so i would guess.

wife caught this action shot of a pretty intense snowball fight though. it was wild.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:16 PM
Imshi Cycles

On a related note - I'm managing a xc ski/fatbike trail system/center in Grafton, VT this winter.

If any of you guys wanna come visit, trail passes/rentals are on the house!
Old 01-29-2022, 01:42 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Wind gusts reaching 75+ so still sitting it out for a bit.

Snow depths ranging from some bare spots on the driveway and our front stairs to over 4’ drifts in spots.

Wind is supposed to die down around dinner time so that will probably be a “furst go” at trying to open up the driveway but it sounds like the snow will continue until 9 or 10 tonight

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:16 PM

My daughter couldn't figure out how to get out the back door and down the steps to take our ten week old puppy out to relieve himself! She ended up sliding down the area where the steps should have been.

We're inland a bit, so the wind hasn't been as severe as Bruce and other are experiencing, but that's definitely the part that's making the storm more exciting. The snow is whipping all over the place. I'm sure we'll end up with 18" or more by the time it's done. Shoveling will happen later...
Old 01-29-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
On a related note - I'm managing a xc ski/fatbike trail system/center in Grafton, VT this winter.

If any of you guys wanna come visit, trail passes/rentals are on the house!
Hey Eric! My family is going to be in Newfane for a few days over President's Day and school vacation. I'd already looked a little bit into the Grafton Outdoor Center and trails as a possible outing for all of us (and the puppy.). Probably would end up being snowshoeing, though I bet I'd have fun trying out a fat bike. Maybe we'll be able to connect up with you!
Old 01-29-2022, 03:32 PM

We've got about 18" on the ground in Sandwich. The storm has been spectacular, fairly constant winds of 30-40, with measured gusts on the Cape of 70+.

I went out for a walk this morning at 8, after the dog briefly ventured outside. It was warmer earlier, and the snow was pretty wet. It's 25° now.

Dog went out a second time and played in the snow for a while...rolling in it, and jumping around like a rabbit. He's 13 years old, and it's great to see him playing like a puppy. (Now he's snoring on the ottoman near the wood stove).

I've been out twice with the blower, first to get the wet 8" of snow off the driveway, and a second time to get the powdery, blown snow under control. I've been waiting for the plow to come by, so I can go out and dig us out...but it hasn't shown yet.

Looks like tomorrow will be a great day for cross country skiing. It will be cold enough overnight that the powder should not get at all crusty.

Oh, and we lost power for a couple of hours this morning, which means we have no PaceLine or ability to flush toilets. I asked my wife *yesterday* if we were going to agree to buy a gennie before the storm, or while we were sitting in the dark today. So...yesterday, I called South Shore Gennie and asked if they could deliver/install yesterday. Looks like it will be April for a 22Kw whole house Generac. (We have NG at the house)

And one more win...we did takeout Thai food yesterday from a new, very good takeout place in Sandwich. Bought enough for three nights.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-29-2022, 04:04 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Just did my first pass to open up the driveway in case.

Depths varied from 0” up to 4 feet. Sheltered area looked close to 24”.

Winds are finally letting up so it wasn’t too bad.

Tomorrow morning will be a lot easier now.

Bk

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.