Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 12:16 PM

Options to accommodate a tight fitting dropper?

My new gravel frame with a dropper is coming together as we speak. I was thinking I could use a 150mm dropper, but turns out I will BARELY be able to squeak in a 125mm dropper due to the design. I dont want a 100mm dropper as the options arent great.

125mm drop is fine and more than enough travel, so it is more a matter of aesthetics that the dropper collar is butted up against the seat clamp.

It will be a close fit (+/- 5mm) so I am wondering where I can gain a bit of wiggle room? -

1) remove a spacer in the dropper to lose 5mm travel
2) buy the lowest profile seatclamp
3) have builder slice 5mm off the seattube right from the start

I imagine that 3) is really the easiest option though it sounds the most dramatic. That is unless the tolerances between the ST and TT junction are so tight that there isnt an extra 5mm to chop off.

What is the lowest profile seat clamp? Thomson? Or all they all the same?

Its not the end of the world if it doesnt work out, but I hope there is a solution!

Thoughts?
Old 01-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Meh

Heyo, haven't you heard, "droppers are dumb!"

In all seriousness, have you looked at the PNW Rainier dropper?

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/produc...per-post-gen-3

Not sure what your seat tube diameter is, but the Rainier allows you to easily reduce travel in 5mm increments (up to 30mm) using a collar adjust, so you can max out the travel for a given frame design. PNW makes really rock solid kit, too.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:37 PM

Ha ha - it never stops! I chose a 31.6mm seat tube and the frame is being welded as we speak, so there is no changing that. If the rainier can be adjusted, I would think the Cascade could be as well?

Like I said, it may work with mm to spare, I just cant tell right now. I am probably just better off waiting until I get the frame and mock it up to my exact saddle height then go from there. It is certainly within 10mm of clearance - more like 5mm - so going conservative (eg., getting a 125mm instead of a 150mm) isnt an option.

Maybe the post can be downwards adjusted be a mm or two. Can anyone verify this for the Cascade external dropper?
Old 01-28-2022, 12:50 PM
Meh

31.6 is a great diameter for a dropper, huge range of posts available in that size and they tend to be more reliable than narrower ones.

Unfortunately the Cascade does not offer the travel reduction feature that the Rainier has. Does the frame not offer internal routing? Since it's being built now, could internal routing be added?
Old 01-28-2022, 01:24 PM

I went through this recently, hope this helps:

tl;dr - Bike Yoke Divine 125 (I don't like their remote and opted for the PNW Loam Lever): https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/divine-125.html, scroll down for relevant measurments

The stack on the Divine is pretty low so you might be able to fit 125mm

Longer - Very through review of multiple posts and stats: https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vi...per-Posts,1762, check the stack on all the posts and you might find one that works

Last edited by dolface; 01-28-2022 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:48 PM

Had a similar issue with my XC hardtail, where I wanted to squeeze a 170 mm dropper on an XC bike...which is a little excessive.

Basically the issue is the distance from pedal to saddle height, right? Some ideas might be a lower stack saddle or shorter cranks or finding a seatpost clamp that takes up less space - I had good luck with the wolf tooth ones!
Old 01-28-2022, 01:54 PM

I put a One Up on a couple bikes with limited space. Very similar to the PNW in that they are designed to be compact, and the travel can be tweaked in 10mm increments for fine tuning.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:48 PM

This is for an externally routed post. I live in a really wet climate, so holes in frames that arent being used are generally a bad idea.

Turns out I misunderstood the geometry, and I wont be able to fit the 125mm. He said a 100mm model is all that will fit (which is fine, except that there are so few options out there!)

Bikes is done, so no going back and honestly, not worried, as a dropper is not crucial to me. All along, I was planning a QR seatpost clamp (which I already have) so I might skip the dropper altogether, depending on what is available.

More thoughts welcome!
Old 01-28-2022, 04:36 PM

I have a PNW dropper, I think its the loam? There's a neat little shim in the dropper that allows you to limit the travel if you're between sizes.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:34 PM

Given your needs (external, ~100mm, possibly adjustable travel) PNW checks all the boxes.

They are also a fantastic company, have a great recycling/repair program and make excellent products which they stand behind.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:09 PM

Solution.

Get an old school hite rite.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:59 PM

Yeah. Salsa lip lock and done.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:57 AM

You want to be slightly careful about your seatpost collar with a dropper - a taller collar will give you more clamping on the post with less torque. Too much pressure on the collar can make the post slow to return since its getting pinched, p=f/a

this is probably the best one out there -> https://engincycles.com/all-products/engin-seat-collar