Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 01-19-2022, 01:58 PM

A stainless fork that will be part of an Onesto frame and fork set. This one designed for a mid reach rim brake and room for a 38 mm tire.

This one is headed to India....I think it might be my first to be in that country. That's a fun feeling.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3066.jpg (64.3 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3069.jpg (51.1 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3080.jpg (33.3 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3087.jpg (39.4 KB, 366 views)
Old 01-19-2022, 02:37 PM

Wow.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:05 PM

Would be interested in seeing that whole fork. One-inch or 1.125"?

One reason I'm curious is an idea of having a stainless fork built for a titanium Hampsten Strada Bianca that currently has a carbon Seven 5e commuter fork. Don't know if your business model includes just building forks, though, Dave.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Would be interested in seeing that whole fork. One-inch or 1.125"?

One reason I'm curious is an idea of having a stainless fork built for a titanium Hampsten Strada Bianca that currently has a carbon Seven 5e commuter fork. Don't know if your business model includes just building forks, though, Dave.
This fork is 1 1/8" steerer.

In the past I happily offered fork-only orders but at this point I don't have that luxury. Some items that go into a fork are very hard to come by and running out of them would put me at a risk of not being able to sell and build a frameset.

I imagine this will change in time but for now it's frame and fork sets only.

I hope you understand.

dave
Old 01-19-2022, 08:27 PM

This is really cool. I enjoy seeing calipers swallow a whole lotta rubber. Nice work Dave!
Old 01-20-2022, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post

This one is headed to India....I think it might be my first to be in that country. That's a fun feeling.
That's really cool Dave. I wonder how the riding is there? Must be a good feeling knowing someone that far off seeking a custom bike narrowed in on Kirk Frameworks.

If whoever this is going out to reads this forum, please join us and show us your new Kirk and the roads and trails in India, would love to see!
Old 01-24-2022, 10:00 AM

Onesto Finishes & Finishing Kit

Dear Dave,

I've been following this thread for sometime now and I'd just like to confirm my observations on your recommended standard finishes for Onestos:

1. Fillet - Brushed with bead-blasting for logos
2. Lugged - Bead-blasted with polished for logos with the occasional polished HT or w/ partial paint.

Did I get that right?

I noticed the recent sand-blasted fork crown.
Was there a sand-blasted finish or any other alternative bare metal finish for the main tubes for any Onesto that came out of your workshop?

Aside, on Finishing Kits and the rest of the things that go on to the frameset (which i know can be very subjective);

Given the pride you take in your creations, do you have a personal opinion /preference on what the frames get fitted with?

With the new MRB2021 being able to take wider tires, do you have an opinion which wheels would best match the machine? I noticed you were using the HED Ardennes with RH rubber.

Looking forward to have one of your creations one day.

best
B

Last edited by AR2266; 01-24-2022 at 10:22 AM. Reason: For clarity and grammer.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2266 View Post
Dear Dave,

I've been following this thread for sometime now and I'd just like to confirm my observations on your recommended standard finishes for Onestos:

1. Fillet - Brushed with bead-blasting for logos
2. Lugged - Bead-blasted with polished for logos with the occasional polished HT or w/ partial paint.

Did I get that right?

I noticed the recent sand-blasted fork crown.
Was there a sand-blasted finish or any other alternative bare metal finish for the main tubes for any Onesto that came out of your workshop?

Aside, on Finishing Kits and the rest of the things that go on to the frameset (which i know can be very subjective);

Given the pride you take in your creations, do you have a personal opinion /preference on what the frames get fitted with?

With the new MRB2021 being able to take wider tires, do you have an opinion which wheels would best match the machine? I noticed you were using the HED Ardennes with RH rubber.

Looking forward to have one of your creations one day.

best
B

Good morning -

Your first post on the Paceline - very cool - welcome.

Yes - my preferred finish is brushed fillets with blasted logos and blasted lugs with polished logos. All bikes are available with the optional head badge....that's up to the customer.

Do I have a favorite brand/group for my builds? No not really. I think all three of the major players offer top shelf parts. One thing I do shy away from is lots of mixing or parts because it can lead to issues. Brand X crank with brand Y BB can lead to issues with Q factor or c-ring clearance because industry standards can get set aside. Life's too short to spend time worrying about that stuff.

Yes - my personal bikes run HED wheels and Rene Herse tires. I love the way the HEDs ride and of course the wider rims kick butt. There are other wide rims out there and no doubt they work well but I choose HED for my personal bikes because I know the designs are well thought out and the product has proven to work well and put up with silly amounts of abuse. The Rene Herse tires are a similar thing. I've tried lots of tires and the RH for me offer the best blend of ride, low rolling resistance, durability and cost. I have 3 primary road-ish bikes and all 3 have RH tires and I love them.

I hope that that makes sense - let me know.

dave
Old 01-24-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Good morning -

Your first post on the Paceline - very cool - welcome.

Yes - my preferred finish is brushed fillets with blasted logos and blasted lugs with polished logos. All bikes are available with the optional head badge....that's up to the customer.

Do I have a favorite brand/group for my builds? No not really. I think all three of the major players offer top shelf parts. One thing I do shy away from is lots of mixing or parts because it can lead to issues. Brand X crank with brand Y BB can lead to issues with Q factor or c-ring clearance because industry standards can get set aside. Life's too short to spend time worrying about that stuff.

Yes - my personal bikes run HED wheels and Rene Herse tires. I love the way the HEDs ride and of course the wider rims kick butt. There are other wide rims out there and no doubt they work well but I choose HED for my personal bikes because I know the designs are well thought out and the product has proven to work well and put up with silly amounts of abuse. The Rene Herse tires are a similar thing. I've tried lots of tires and the RH for me offer the best blend of ride, low rolling resistance, durability and cost. I have 3 primary road-ish bikes and all 3 have RH tires and I love them.

I hope that that makes sense - let me know.

dave

Good morning Dave.

Sensible indeed; thanks and noted on the recommendations on HED + RH.

I forgot to mention - i also noticed that Chis Kings appear to be the headset of choice; the same argument for the HEDs apply?

Back to the Onesto finishes - would the fillet model not work with a overall bead blast finish and the lugged with a brush finish? what were the considerations that led to these separate treatments being deemed as best suited for each model?

One more question - i also note that you had mentioned that the blasting is done by Joe Bell (or has that changed?) and the brushed and high-polished finishes are done by yourself?
I don't recall you ever posting about the actual process of hand finishing a frame, save for the anecdote about your professor in metal-smithing/ jewelry-making about not needing to ask if the work is done.

How do you actually do that polishing over every inch thatt looks so even/ consistent? do you use any power tools other than just grit paper?

Last edited by AR2266; 01-24-2022 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added content
Old 01-24-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Good morning Dave.

Sensible indeed; thanks and noted on the recommendations on HED + RH.

I forgot to mention - i also noticed that Chis Kings appear to be the headset of choice; the same argument for the HEDs apply?

Back to the Onesto finishes - would the fillet model not work with a overall bead blast finish and the lugged with a brush finish? what were the considerations that led to these separate treatments being deemed as best suited for each model?

One more question - i also note that you had mentioned that the blasting is done by Joe Bell (or has that changed?) and the brushed and high-polished finishes are done by yourself?
I don't recall you ever posting about the actual process of hand finishing a frame, save for the anecdote about your professor in metal-smithing/ jewelry-making about not needing to ask if the work is done.

How do you actually do that polishing over every inch thatt looks so even/ consistent? do you use any power tools other than just grit paper?

Hello again -

Yep....Chris King is a similar deal. I know there are other good headsets but it would be hard to find one that is better than a King

I tried the blasted finish on fillets and didn't like the look. It's purely down to that.

The brushed finish looks less consistent on lugged frames....the tubes and lugs look a bit different but not enough different to be good or interesting. Again I just like one over the other.

If the frameset is lugged and it's going to be blasted my partner JB takes care of it because he has a real blasting cabinet that can do a good job. If the frame is filleted I do both the brushed finish and blasted logos here. It's such a small area of blasting that I can do it in my driveway. High tech stuff!

I don't share how I do the finishing. There was a time when I shared everything about how I did everything. I got the crap end of the stick too many times with people steeling my words and using them as their own so now I run a tight lipped ship. I don't use many power tools when doing the brushed finish. I use a lot of elbow grease and and a few tricks I've come up with.

Sorry for not spilling all the beans - I hope you understand why.

dave
Old 01-24-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Hello again -

Yep....Chris King is a similar deal. I know there are other good headsets but it would be hard to find one that is better than a King

I tried the blasted finish on fillets and didn't like the look. It's purely down to that.

The brushed finish looks less consistent on lugged frames....the tubes and lugs look a bit different but not enough different to be good or interesting. Again I just like one over the other.

If the frameset is lugged and it's going to be blasted my partner JB takes care of it because he has a real blasting cabinet that can do a good job. If the frame is filleted I do both the brushed finish and blasted logos here. It's such a small area of blasting that I can do it in my driveway. High tech stuff!

I don't share how I do the finishing. There was a time when I shared everything about how I did everything. I got the crap end of the stick too many times with people steeling my words and using them as their own so now I run a tight lipped ship. I don't use many power tools when doing the brushed finish. I use a lot of elbow grease and and a few tricks I've come up with.

Sorry for not spilling all the beans - I hope you understand why.

dave

All good Dave and no apology needed - you've already shared plenty with your frank insights.

One last question, have you thought about what you are going to do for 2023 - the 20th Anniversary for your own brand? So that we also get a headstart in saving?
Old 01-24-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
All good Dave and no apology needed - you've already shared plenty with your frank insights.

One last question, have you thought about what you are going to do for 2023 - the 20th Anniversary for your own brand? So that we also get a headstart in saving?
I do plan on offering a 20th Anniversary bike. For my 10th I made ten special bikes....I won't be doing 20 for my twentieth! I have some ideas but haven't played with them yet. I've got a bit of time still....but less time by the day I suppose!

dave
Old 01-25-2022, 04:50 PM

Dave, with your 20th approaching, I think some merch would be good as well.
T shirts, caps and beanies, should have all four seasons covered. I can't justify a new bike as I have no reason to move on from the Kirk I have now.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
T shirts, caps and beanies, should have all four seasons covered. I can't justify a new bike as I have no reason to move on from the Kirk I have now.
I concur, I would 100% be down for some swag!
Old Today, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
I’m in on some swag.
Jersey, bibs, hat?