Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Of course they are less prevalent because they are riding alone. I'm pretty sure most crashes in bike races are because riders are contacting other riders right?

Compressing the time differentials could be fixed with shorter stages if it's even true, I'll take your word but I don't actually know if it's true.
To keep riders from contacting each other and crashing, using your logic, we need to stop them from riding together.

I do not have a list of TT crashes or investigations into the causes. Cornering at high speed on a sharp corner is definitely risky on the bars. Blowing skeet on a high speed descent is risky on a TT bike.

So again, you have not provided any real evidence that TT bikes are inherently more dangerous.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:30 PM

meh, TT bikes and kit (aero helmets, skin suits) all seem to be just contrived silliness...yeah, they might be faster but it's about team performance, not gear.

just use the same bikes thru the whole race...don't see the point of having such specialized equipment. it doesn't add any extra enjoyment for spectators.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Most other forms of "vehicle sport" protection & care go up as the speeds go up. Not cycling. We're probably the only sport where a human uses a machine to go faster than they can without a machine that is OK with the brakes getting worse and worse the faster the bike gets.
Cycling speeds aren't that much greater than other "open vehicle" sports, and slower than some.

Alpine ski racers regularly reach 80 mph in Downhill event, wearing lycra suits. Even cross country ski racers can approach 40 mph on downhills.

Speed skaters (both on ice skates and on roller blades) go at cycling speeds (30 - 35 mph), also wearing lycra and helmets which are similar to cycling helmets.

Skeleton racers can go 80 mph, head first, while lying on top of their sleds (at least lugers have the good sense to go feet first). Lest you consider that these sliders are on smooth, enclosed tracks, consider that the steet luge record is more than 100 mph.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:39 PM

This just seems to be a knee jerk reaction to Bernal's crash. What are the statistics regarding crashes with TT bikes vs regular bikes? I seem to think there are way more crashes in the finish sprints of the Tour than any with TT bikes.

I like the way science / engineering is part of the TT bikes. I know I am at least 2 to 3 mph faster on my P3. Of course I will admit that my worst crash was during a TT because I looked down at my garmin and ended up in the sand on the side of the road and crashed hard trying to correct. I'm quite sure I would have been ok on a road bike on the hoods.

Bernal's crash was totally preventable and I blame the team / rider.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
This seems to be the crux of your argument - you think the TT position is too unsafe, therefore everyone should think the the TT position is too unsafe. I know cyclists who have ridden for many years that think that riding in pacelines or packs is too unsafe. Because they think so, is that enough that we ban pacelines and packs in pro racing?

I think you've boxed yourself into a corner here. First you argued that TTs should be banned from stage races because they are too unsafe. Now you are admitting there are more crashes the road stages, so shouldn't you be arguing for the road stages to be removed from stage races instead of the TTs?
I haven’t boxed myself into anything.

Banning mass starts would ruin bike racing.

Banning TT bikes would have no effect on the race.

Some of the best riders in the world are suffering career ending crashes that probably wouldn’t have happened if they were on their regular road bike. And for what? So we can watch Ganna win by averaging 31mph instead of 28mph? It’s that important to you guys that swoopy bike go fast? It just seems senseless to me.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:43 PM

Haven't made it through all the silliness yet but I have this little nugget to add.

A crash on this...

jacked up my shoulder so bad I can't ride this...

...which I've never crashed. So which is more dangerous?
Old 01-28-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
To keep riders from contacting each other and crashing, using your logic, we need to stop them from riding together.

I do not have a list of TT crashes or investigations into the causes. Cornering at high speed on a sharp corner is definitely risky on the bars. Blowing skeet on a high speed descent is risky on a TT bike.

So again, you have not provided any real evidence that TT bikes are inherently more dangerous.
Dude of course they’re more dangerous lol. They’re faster and more difficult to control, and slower to access brakes. There’s a reason they aren’t allowed in mass start events or group rides, why do you suppose that is if they aren’t more difficult to control???? Lol
Old 01-28-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
This just seems to be a knee jerk reaction to Bernal's crash. What are the statistics regarding crashes with TT bikes vs regular bikes? I seem to think there are way more crashes in the finish sprints of the Tour than any with TT bikes.

I like the way science / engineering is part of the TT bikes. I know I am at least 2 to 3 mph faster on my P3. Of course I will admit that my worst crash was during a TT because I looked down at my garmin and ended up in the sand on the side of the road and crashed hard trying to correct. I'm quite sure I would have been ok on a road bike on the hoods.

Bernal's crash was totally preventable and I blame the team / rider.
If he didn’t have to be practicing riding on his dumb bike he wouldn’t have been out there doing dumb stuff

Sorry about your crash

Last edited by mtechnica; 01-28-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:07 PM

Cancel culture has arrived on the forum, LOL!!!!
Old 01-28-2022, 06:28 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Cancel culture has arrived on the forum, LOL!!!!
Fine time is over suckas

Old 01-28-2022, 06:34 PM
Administrator

This thread is a trainwreck.
Closed Thread