Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
This has been an issue for decades. BIG trucks/SUVs vs smaller sedans. Just now a LOT of those 'e-sedans' are the weight of ICE SUVs.

Yup, 'merica love their BFTtrucks...
There's another thing; tires. Since EV's are so much heavier they need more expensive tires and the extra weight shortens their life. EV owners like to brag about less maintenance than ICE powered vehicles, but they don't realize that they are going to pay more for tires.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
There's another thing; tires. Since EV's are so much heavier they need more expensive tires and the extra weight shortens their life. EV owners like to brag about less maintenance than ICE powered vehicles, but they don't realize that they are going to pay more for tires.
I should read all the posts before posting
Old 01-29-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
This is a true statement. However, the comparison of a Model S to a Honda Accord is a bit misleading. Yes, the Model S weighs around 4500 pounds. But it is Tesla's largest car and should be compared to other mfrs largest cars like BMW 7 Series (about 4500lbs), Mercedes S Class (about 4700lbs) or the Audi A8 (4700lbs)

If you want to compare the Honda Accord weight (about 3400lbs), the similar sized Model 3 is about 4000lbs. Maybe 600lbs different. Yes, still heavier, but not a 1000lb heavier.

Btw, I'm bias as I own a Model 3 Long Range and it is the best car i've ever had. Fast, quiet with great handling. I live in SF, which has probably the highest electric rates in the nation, but I think it is still a bargain. My long distance trips to SLO to visit my daughter in college has a round trip of about 450 miles and it cost me like $37-38. Yes, I do stop off 2 or 3 times to charge, but the main one is when i'm there, I charge up during lunch and I'm good to go. Plus, as you all know, Tesla has the best charging system in the world - fast, seamless and the most charging stations, at least here in CA. What's not to like?!

Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 01-29-2023 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
This is a true statement. However, the comparison of a Model S to a Honda Accord is a bit misleading. Yes, the Model S weighs around 4500 pounds. But it is Tesla's largest car and should be compared to other mfrs largest cars like BMW 7 Series (about 4500lbs), Mercedes S Class (about 4700lbs) or the Audi A8 (4700lbs)

If you want to compare the Honda Accord weight (about 3400lbs), the similar sized Model 3 is about 4000lbs. Maybe 600lbs different. Yes, still heavier, but not a 1000lb heavier.

Btw, I'm bias as I own a Model 3 Long Range and it is the best car i've ever had. Fast, quiet with great handling. I live in SF, which has probably the highest electric rates in the nation, but I think it is still a bargain. My long distance trips to SLO to visit my daughter in college has a round trip of about 450 miles and it cost me like $37-38. Yes, I do stop off 2 or 3 times to charge, but the main one is when i'm there, I charge up during lunch and I'm good to go. Plus, as you all know, Tesla has the best charging system in the world - fast, seamless and reasonably priced. What's not to like?!

Good Luck!
Shouldn't you be comparing a Honda Civic to a Model 3, not an Accord?
Old 01-29-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Shouldn't you be comparing a Honda Civic to a Model 3, not an Accord?
Not sure. Isn’t an Accord considered a mid-sized car? If so, that is very similar to a Model 3.

Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2023, 11:33 AM

Large EV SUV's and pickup trucks, kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Large EV SUV's and pickup trucks, kinda defeats the purpose.
why?

I would argue the other way.

Replacing a honda accord that gets 40+ mpg on gas with a electric tesla probably has a much smaller impact than replacing a gas pickup that get's 14-18mpg with an electric equivalent.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
why?

Replacing a honda accord that gets 40+ mpg on gas with a electric tesla probably has a much smaller impact than replacing a gas pickup that get's 14-18mpg with an electric equivalent.
Efficiency and convenience (range) When an EV weighs as much as a battle tank it defeats the purpose, double so when towing or with heavy cargo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjuTg6diDCU&t=1505s

Last edited by adub; 01-29-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
why?

But they can't build enough batteries as it is. Not enough Li, Ni, and other metals that go into the batteries. You could probably build batteries for 3 EV autos vs 1 for an EV full sized pickup truck. That's going to keep EV prices high and in short supply.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
But they can't build enough batteries as it is. Not enough Li, Ni, and other metals that go into the batteries. You could probably build batteries for 3 EV autos vs 1 for an EV full sized pickup truck. That's going to keep EV prices high and in short supply.
Agree. There has yet to be a step change in tech before ev's are ready for the mainstream.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
It’s more like 2:1, not 3:1.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:40 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I don't care about logic or rationality or weight or anything - I want a 2024 Porsche Macan EV with a custom Ciavete paint job and matching Pegoretti on top.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I don't care about logic or rationality or weight or anything - I want a 2024 Porsche Macan EV with a custom Ciavete paint job and matching Pegoretti on top.
Amen.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Can the Peg have mechanical shifting at least?
Old 01-29-2023, 10:01 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Can the Peg have mechanical shifting at least?
Oh yes, mandatory. Wouldn't want to be too dependent on batteries; consider it the new improved Porsche hybrid