Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2024, 07:32 PM

250 miles a day - for a month

Was just reading about Lachlan Morton's plan to ride around the perimeter of Australia. Something like 14000 kilometers. To break the record (there's a record for everything), he has to average around 400 km a day, or about 250 miles, for over a month straight. 35 days or so.
Sounds like a perverted prison sentence to me, but what do I know. Is there such a thing as too much time on the bike?
Old 09-03-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Is there such a thing as too much time on the bike?
Can someone do a wellness check please, blink twice if you're held hostage
Old 09-03-2024, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Assuming he can manage about 16mph average total for the day, that's 15.5 hours per day of riding.

Get up a 7, hit it hard until about 10:30, get a good nights sleep, repeat.

If I had a month of free time, I'd give it a shot. Good excuse to eat a lot of ice cream and gas station burritos.
Old 09-03-2024, 08:02 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Assuming he can manage about 16mph average total for the day, that's 15.5 hours per day of riding.

If I had a month of free time, I'd give it a shot. Good excuse to eat a lot of ice cream and gas station burritos.
What’s the most time you’ve ridden in a day/week/month?
If I put in a 30 hour week, I’m gassed for a day or two (I average 20+ hours a week). Doing over 100 hours a week for a month straight? Devasting. That has to be a tremendous challenge, possibly a dangerous one, even for a cyclist of his calibre.
Old 09-03-2024, 08:03 PM

I couldn’t even do that on a motorized bike, seems crazy to me but respect for trying to do something nobody else has done.
Old 09-03-2024, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
What’s the most time you’ve ridden in a day/week/month?
If I put in a 30 hour week, I’m gassed for a day or two (I average 20+ hours a week). Doing over 100 hours a week for a month straight? Devasting. That has to be a tremendous challenge, possibly a dangerous one, even for a cyclist of his calibre.
It's certainly a step up from what Lael Wilcox is achieving - 172 miles/day and moving time at just about exactly half, so 12 hours daily, or 84 hours/week. Boggles my mind!

This has been a good year for me, mileage-wise, and I'm averaging 9.3 hours/week for just over 4,300 miles. Lael's average speed is about 1 mph faster than mine but I bet she has a lot more average elevation/mile. I wonder how Lachlan's route compares with Lael's route.

They are both cool people and super-studs (if you can call a woman a stud, I'm open to a better word choice!)
Old 09-03-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:

You're drunk
Old 09-03-2024, 08:30 PM

Good luck to Lachlan with it, I just hope they have good support. Unfortunately some of the ultra distance events in Australia have had tragedy. Having lived there, the roads in the remote parts certainly add risk just based on speeds and conditions.
Old 09-03-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:

As Russell Westbrooke famously said. What??? Bro, what you taking about? 😄

Give your head a shake, there's no way you'd keep pace with Morton for 4 hours, nevermind the next 11 and then 34 more days.

He's trying to cover 14,000km in 35 days. That's bonkers!!!
Old 09-03-2024, 09:13 PM

Lon Haldeman set himself the goal of riding across the US in under 10 days. In 1981 he rode from New York City, New York, to Santa Monica, California, in 12 days and 8 hours. Having failed in his goal, he rested for 6 hours, and then decided to try again, and rode back to New York, this time taking 10 days and 23 hours - a round trip distance of about 6000 miles over 24 days, average about 250 miles per day.

The following year he tried again, this time meeting his goal by riding across the USA in 9 days and 20 hours (or roughly 300 miles per day).
Old 09-03-2024, 09:41 PM
Riding Along

The level of grit and determination is incredible, the lack of fun is not. Well I suppose it’s type III fun on meth.
Old 09-04-2024, 05:43 AM

I too ride for fun and health and that does not sound like fun or healthy. I seriously question if the extreme is even good for your health in the long term. A big chunk of my life is off the bike. A family, other interests and a volunteer job one day a week. When I see people going things like that I ask myself “Don’t they like themselves”?

I have a friend that started a triple decathon two days ago in Italy. While everyone on my team gives him praise for attempting it I think he’s nuts and one day his obsession wuth the extreme will end his life. Look at Dave Scott and Scott Tinley. Heart issues.

Last edited by JMT3; 09-04-2024 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-04-2024, 07:03 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post
I too ride for fun and health and that does not sound like fun or healthy. I seriously question if the extreme is even good for your health in the long term. A big chunk of my life is off the bike. A family, other interests and a volunteer job one day a week. When I see people going things like that I ask myself “Don’t they like themselves”?

I have a friend that started a triple decathon two days ago in Italy. While everyone on my team gives him praise for attempting it I think he’s nuts and one day his obsession wuth the extreme will end his life. Look at Dave Scott and Scott Tinley. Heart issues.
Agree 100%
I've ridden 250 miles in a week but that was a loooong time ago.
Old 09-04-2024, 07:09 AM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Agree 100%
I've ridden 250 miles in a week but that was a loooong time ago.
Pac Tour Elite Transcontinental was 18 days across the the US,
200ish miles a day.

Like they said in 7 Samurai, "Mister, I admire your idea of fun"
Old 09-04-2024, 07:09 AM

Sounds like a great way to wind up with a pacemaker before the age of 55. To each their own.