Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2024, 08:24 PM

I don't use the canister filter when I put a bag in. It's one or the other. Good enough suction that way.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:05 PM

I have a 25 year old Craftsman that requires hearing protection but will still suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:09 AM

Get a drywall sanding attachment for your shop vac such as the one I linked to.

Replace the filter with a Kopach brand filter to catch more drywall dust.

To clean the filter, take the vac outside and plug the hose into the blower outlet that most shop vacs have for that purpose. Use your vac's nozzle attachment to blow out the pleated filter.

This is my setup while I renovate my condo and I'm perfectly satisfied with the performance.

Like Spaghetti Legs, I have an ancient Craftsman 3.0hp peak/6 gallon/2" hose model that sucks harder than a five dollar whore.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:27 AM

I use one of these and it works absolutely fantastic:

https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/pro...6-mini-system/

It goes in front of a Shop Vac that has a hepa filter bag but the dust never even makes it to the bag the cyclone works so well. When I used to to do drywall I purchased a sanding toll that attached right to the vacuum so it sucked up as you sanded.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I use one of these and it works absolutely fantastic:

https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/pro...6-mini-system/

It goes in front of a Shop Vac that has a hepa filter bag but the dust never even makes it to the bag the cyclone works so well. When I used to to do drywall I purchased a sanding toll that attached right to the vacuum so it sucked up as you sanded.
I have one of these mounted on top of the Fein I use for sanding dust extraction. Works quite well. Easy to empty and keeps the vac prefilter clean much longer.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:25 PM

I build cabinets for a living. I have / have had all the dust collectors: Fein, Festool, etc. They make very good dust collectors, but not great shop vacs (bags are expensive, they are really made for sawdust, not shop floor debris). This is the best shop vac out there. It's expensive, but you get all the attachments and it really sucks evenly, no matter how full the bag is. I've had mine for three years and I'm still using the same filter.

https://www.acmetools.com/stihl-se-1...3djrxULzKHZ9UA
Old 03-11-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I have a 25 year old Craftsman that requires hearing protection but will still suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.
"3/4in nuts! 3/4in bolts! 3/4in nuts and bolts!"

I still remember the advertisement jingle LOL!

I bought one of the littler ones back in the 90's and it is STILL going. The thing I hated about it though was the design. The out flow was aimed down towards the floor so when you turned it on it would blow dust off the floor everywhere. But it does suck, in a good way, and is still going after all these years. I bought a more modern Shop Vac and it's motor is dying after only about 5 years.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post

The out flow was aimed down towards the floor so when you turned it on it would blow dust off the floor everywhere.
I also have a 30yo Craftsman, maybe an optimistic 5hp on the label, I found a "muffler" for it years ago that helps somewhat with the decible level, but more importantly, it also allows me to slightly direct the air blowing out in a more favorable direction. I have no idea if it's still available somewhere.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
There is nothing wrong with your shop vac.
You need one of these:

https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-depu...SAAEgIeTfD_BwE

No dust will go into the shop vac filter, it all goes in the bucket.
This is what woodworkers use.
I'm not sure these work for drywall sanding dust but they are awesome for lots of other things. They honestly should be built into shop vacuums.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 03-11-2024, 07:08 PM

I have had many shop vacs and the 30 year old Fein is the only one still going. Its now mostly used on saws and sanders. Nothing escapes the HEPA filter. I have a couple others that I use for nasty stuff. A medium size rigid with a drywall bag and a canister filter make a pretty good drywall sanding vac. If it dies, buy another. Its not 100% but plenty good enough.

The other thing about finishing drywall is that if you're sanding a lot, you're doing it wrong. Work on your mudding skills - it can really make a difference. Putting on less is almost always the right answer.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
I also have a 30yo Craftsman, maybe an optimistic 5hp on the label, I found a "muffler" for it years ago that helps somewhat with the decible level, but more importantly, it also allows me to slightly direct the air blowing out in a more favorable direction. I have no idea if it's still available somewhere.
Because of this thread I had seen some video's about mufflers and I had no idea! I need one for sure. I make it a point to always put ear protection on when I turn on the vacuum and that is both b/c the vacuum is loud but also the band saw or what ever else I'm working with. But for just a clean up here and there that would be nice.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:43 PM

Doesn't Rigid have a lifetime warranty?

I have the actual Shop Vac brand vacuum. Got it in 2001. 6.5 gallons, 3.0 peak HP. Works as well as it did when first purchased.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM

Another Fein vote here. Large surface area filter helps with flow, and pressure head is very good. What's that you say -- oh yeah its quiet as well. But old woodworkers often say that.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:06 AM
Randomhead

I have a hard time believing a ridgid is worse than an actual shop vac brand, which are crap and can't have gotten better after the vulture capitalists had their way with the company. I have always had decent luck with those and drywall dust, if I could get the switch to stay on. Have to use the filter bag, but it sounds like OP is doing that.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:28 PM

I love this guys reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN7PXwn1yU