Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Can you elaborate? If I set a broom handle on the tip of the lever or top of the hood, how can I tell if its level as the broom can be at a slight angle/pivot on the hood? I guess I could use a level on it, but that wouldnt be accurate enough for this.
place broom stick across the brake levers in corresponding contact points, from the front of bike, sight down the top of stick and move levers to make stick parallel with bar top
Old 03-18-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopes View Post
https://youtu.be/vNTQaKAT4dY?t=102

I saw this on youtube the other day, the builder uses a ruler with holes in it to position the shifters. Pretty neat trick that I'll be using next time I have to align.
Not so trick, less acurate than a ruler with graduated mm indications, and you wouldn't catch me anywhere near riding the rest of that build.

To begin with White Lithium grease for a cutting edge bike? I don't think so!
Old 03-18-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Not so trick, less acurate than a ruler with graduated mm indications, and you wouldn't catch me anywhere near riding the rest of that build.

I keep mentioning the level, you can touch the level to the bars + lever just like he was doing with his Holy Ruler and get a more precise result as well.

In the past I did it with a flexible tape measure too, stretched between the bar end and the lever.

Level across the levers is still easier IMO.

Gotcha on the Lithium grease. I stopped watching after reading "Dream Gravel Bike Build" and then seeing SRAM.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I keep mentioning the level, you can touch the level to the bars + lever just like he was doing with his Holy Ruler and get a more precise result as well.

In the past I did it with a flexible tape measure too, stretched between the bar end and the lever.

Level across the levers is still easier IMO.

Gotcha on the Lithium grease. I stopped watching after reading "Dream Gravel Bike Build" and then seeing SRAM.
Agreed on all points - not my 'dream' build by a long shot, but click-bait is click-bait.

I agree that an actual ruler would provide better results, and a level across the hoods is the most accurate.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:37 PM

Use something straight and a spirit level, also check your floor for being level.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
broom handle/hockey stick across the levers is the way I do it..
Same.

Lots of eyeballing and small adjustments. I also like a flat transition from the lever to the bar, at least on modern levers and bars.

Some of the lever installs and bar angles in the bike pics on this forum are eyewateringly awful!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:45 PM

Lasers baby!

Seriously, a laser level that has both horizontal and vertical lines is the ticket.

Put the vertical through the stem center and right down the middle of the head tube and front tire and you know you're plumb, then put the horizontal at whatever lever reference you like and match 'em.

Easy.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:12 PM

I use the string/ measuring tape method in this Park video.
I use a flexible measuring tape, place on same spots on the lever hood bodies and eyeball if the tape is parallel to the bars from a front view.
Works better without hoods on as I find the lever bodies tend to have more reference points to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geSok-YQN-U
Old 03-18-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie View Post
Lasers baby!

Seriously, a laser level that has both horizontal and vertical lines is the ticket.

Put the vertical through the stem center and right down the middle of the head tube and front tire and you know you're plumb, then put the horizontal at whatever lever reference you like and match 'em.

Easy.
That will only work if the Lasers are Italian.

Sounds like a product idea.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:37 PM

I use a locking measuring tape. Set the bike level however you want-on a trainer, remove the front wheel and rest on the forks-whatever works.

Extend the locking tape measure until it brushes the bottom of one lever. Move it to the other side and adjust the other lever until it matches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike1.jpg (113.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:56 PM

mount the bars in the orientation you like em, then put the levers on. do not tape yet.
take the cockpit off (bars with stem and levers), and place it on a table.
make sure the levers are not compressed.
you'll have 4 points of contact between the lever tips and the drop bar ends.
any rocking will tell you where and how off they are.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:15 PM

No need for a level or level surface. Place a length of 3/4 or 1 inch of pvc pipe in the area of the hood where the crook of your thumb rests, then measure from the front of the bars to the back of the pipe and make both sides the same. Then the reach is the same.