Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 02:13 PM

Rebranded Litespeed frames

Are there any differences in rebranded frames or is it just decals? I have a Basso Gap made by Litespeed and was wondering the difference between others like the Merckx TI frame other than value. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:15 PM

I hope you find a good answer, this has mystified me for a while. OEM > branding imo but branding is darn powerful in the market.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:43 PM

Without any knowledge to this particular outsourcing i would imagine there very well could be differences.

Much like i dont think all frames produced for various companies by lynskey are all the same or a model of lynskeys regular line up. Tweaks and stuff im sure were pretty common in order to seperate their model from the rest of the bunch.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:37 PM

i'm guessing that litespeed is making a bike to basso gaps spec so it very well could be different. also basso may be contract out a different quality control mechanism than what litespeeed does for itself. it's not unusal for bike companies to make all or part of someone else's bikes. i believe seven cycles and some other shops do this as well.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:37 PM
You still here?

While some frames may simply be re-branded, others are made to a brand’s specifications. A good example is the Serotta made, Schwinn branded Ti Paramounts.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloar View Post
Are there any differences in rebranded frames or is it just decals? I have a Basso Gap made by Litespeed and was wondering the difference between others like the Merckx TI frame other than value. Thanks.

It depends how old they are. If you are asking about those 90s frames, then the Basso and Mercx versions were as good as what the "original" Litespeed created under their own brand - in the same time period - but geo may be different.

While some may think that Litespeed and Lynskey (and what they make under contract for others) today are not very good, I always ask compared to what?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
It depends how old they are. If you are asking about those 90s frames, then the Basso and Mercx versions were as good as what the "original" Litespeed created under their own brand - in the same time period - but geo may be different.

While some may think that Litespeed and Lynskey (and what they make under contract for others) today are not very good, I always ask compared to what?
It’s an older model.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:23 PM

I have a close friend that has a Merckx Ti made by Litespeed. I am 99% sure that Litespeed made it to Merckx's geometry specs.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:57 PM

Have not seen one in years but yes, and as stated earlier, that is a litespeed made under contract and probably only differs in geo and decals. Those were great riding and fun bikes for the times. That probably dates to the early 90s. It has those bullet ends that Lynskey (founder of Litespeed) still uses on a few of its current bikes.

They make really fun townie bikes today if you swap in a flat bar. Straight black bar in a silver quill stem for extra bonus points and keep the DT shifters or you lose the entire look.

Quote:
It’s an older model.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Depends but the Litespeeds made by Lynskey, before Lynskey left, like Merckx, were to Eddy's spec..Far Superior Italian threaded BB and horizontal dropouts, as examples. Great frames.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USED-Vintage-1990s-Eddy-Merckx-Litespeed-Titanium-EX.jpg (10.8 KB, 255 views)
Old 03-18-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Depends but the Litespeeds made by Lynskey, before Lynskey left, like Merckx, were to Eddy's spec..Far Superior Italian threaded BB and horizontal dropouts, as examples. Great frames.
Mine has the Lynskey signature.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:13 AM

edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
It has those bullet ends that Lynskey (founder of Litespeed) still uses on a few of its current bikes.
Those bullet caps, if not welded and or finished properly, can rip. Inspect regularly.

If I'm not mistaken, one Merckx Litespeed built ti frame had nice horizontal rear drop outs....EX model? Also ovalized tube(s).
Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 AM

I had a Basso Ti that was basically a rebranded and polished Litespeed Classic. Decent bike, shined like a bumper on a Buick.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:10 AM

From what I've seen re-branded Ti frames made by Litespeed often were made with different features and specifications, but generally had Litespeed level of build quality. In contrast, there were many re-branded Ti frames by Sandvik that had serious quality deficiencies.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:19 AM
Pack fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I am curious, I absolutely think threaded bottom brackets are best, but is Italian threading better, in your opinion than BSA? If so why?