Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 05:23 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
I don’t think the bass boat comment was meant to be a knock on Brad/Eriksen/Built...
Correct, it wasn't...more just pointing out that if you want color, brad may not be the one stop shop. clearly his skills are off the chart. I really enjoyed talking to him. would have been nice to see Scott Hock and drop the blinglespeed reference so he knows I'm not just anybody...have friends in high places...
Old 03-18-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Correct, it wasn't...more just pointing out that if you want color, brad may not be the one stop shop. clearly his skills are off the chart. I really enjoyed talking to him. would have been nice to see Scott Hock and drop the blinglespeed reference so he knows I'm not just anybody...have friends in high places...
next bike I get will be a Built.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:28 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
next bike I get will be a Built.
what struck me the most is he was willing to think about doing things your way/differently.

his in-house spider for a sub-compact < 1:1 gravel gear would be something really useful around here.

and, he listened to me...not just gave me the plug-in speech.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
what struck me the most is he was willing to think about doing things your way/differently.

his in-house spider for a sub-compact < 1:1 gravel gear would be something really useful around here.

and, he listened to me...not just gave me the plug-in speech.
I have a buddy who has two of his bikes. They are beautiful and just made well.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:15 PM

Kent came up with the spider- I have Eriksens by Brad, and have talked with him about stuff. I want a new Built road bike, but I want to ask him about butting the tubes. THEN we’ll see if f he’s up for anything-
Old 03-18-2019, 06:28 PM

RKP: NAHBS Awards - Construction Categories
Old 03-18-2019, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
in thinking about this more, yes, you hit the nail on the head. Rim brake bikes still exist but the show is overwhelming with big tire ti disc frames. and paint. paint everywhere. if you think 2019 show as excessive, I would say there were probably 50% more builders showing the same in 2015.

the quality is so high, the choosing comes from small things you prefer or the way you feel about a particular brand/builder.

The reason it all looks the same is because there are no crap builders there. it's all the best of the best. every bike is a super model. or exotic car.

i agree with this, and it make me wonder...

how much can the market sustain?

i live in the NYC metro area, and i have yet to see many handbuilt titanium superbikes rolling around. plenty of pinarellos, s-works and colnagos, but very rarely do i see titanium of any sort.

how many ten thousand dollar plus ti superbikes actually sell/year anyway that keeps this many high quality builders in business?
Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 PM
ZhugeLiang

Photo gallery: 2019 north american handmade bicycle show, part one

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/phot...ahbs-part-one/
Old 03-18-2019, 06:58 PM

They get ordered, bought, and then never ridden.

Just like fancy sports cars.

I remember seeing one top shelf custom (albeit carbon) bike at a shop years ago that cost something like >$20k. Ordered by an executive, it wasn't picked up for at least a year. Shop was fine just displaying it, as was the owner.

How many folks here do the same thing, just at a different price point?

But yes, to your question, how many guys (or gals) are there out there that buy the stuff? Darned good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

i live in the NYC metro area, and i have yet to see many handbuilt titanium superbikes rolling around. plenty of pinarellos, s-works and colnagos, but very rarely do i see titanium of any sort.

how many ten thousand dollar plus ti superbikes actually sell/year anyway that keeps this many high quality builders in business?

Last edited by 54ny77; 03-18-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

Just like fancy sports cars.

I remember seeing one top shelf custom (albeit carbon) bike at a shop years ago that cost something like >$20k. Ordered by an executive, it wasn't picked up for at least a year. Shop was fine just displaying it, as was the owner.

How many folks here do the same thing, just at a different price point?

But yes, to your question, how many guys (or gals) are there out there that buy the stuff? Darned good question.
speaking from anecdotal experience...it's small. it exists. $12-13k+ bikes are definitely a thing. it's limited, but they're a thing.

50-60% is more-money-than-the-pope. not enthusiasts (eg they don't identify as cyclists and couldn't tell you who old man campy was), but they appreciate nice things, and custom things. the bikes might get flogged (it's ****ing spectacular when this happens, and the bug bites), or they might spend most of their lives in a garage or on display. it's all good.

30-40% is enthusiasts with a good deal of means, but buying a bike of this level is not to be scoffed at. they like custom, have affinity for brands/builders, know what they want, probably know the history. they're just afforded more spending cash to drop the serious bills on what's important to them. after all, this is a helluva lot cheaper than track days and a track car. i'd put a lot of people here in this bucket.

10-20%? diehards and industry people. they're the cats making middle-class money who sock the cash away for years to get the $15k wunderbike. or they're single guys living on pbj so they can spring for the firefly/vagen/baum. or they're industry employees who want a grail/forever bike, when even "the deal" is eye-wateringly expensive (hi, i've been here). these people are cool, or they're insane. and sometimes both.

whole pie lacks diversity, though.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:43 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
speaking from anecdotal experience...it's small. it exists. $12-13k+ bikes are definitely a thing. it's limited, but they're a thing.

50-60% is more-money-than-the-pope. not enthusiasts (eg they don't identify as cyclists and couldn't tell you who old man campy was), but they appreciate nice things, and custom things. the bikes might get flogged (it's ****ing spectacular when this happens, and the bug bites), or they might spend most of their lives in a garage or on display. it's all good.

30-40% is enthusiasts with a good deal of means, but buying a bike of this level is not to be scoffed at. they like custom, have affinity for brands/builders, know what they want, probably know the history. they're just afforded more spending cash to drop the serious bills on what's important to them. after all, this is a helluva lot cheaper than track days and a track car. i'd put a lot of people here in this bucket.

10-20%? diehards and industry people. they're the cats making middle-class money who sock the cash away for years to get the $15k wunderbike. or they're single guys living on pbj so they can spring for the firefly/vagen/baum. or they're industry employees who want a grail/forever bike, when even "the deal" is eye-wateringly expensive (hi, i've been here). these people are cool, or they're insane. and sometimes both.

whole pie lacks diversity, though.
Thanks for your comments. I wouldn't have expected that first category to be so big.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
It's the only way someone like me can ever get a custom ti. It took me 4 years to find a second hand Eriksen that fit my exact measurements. I don't think that the original owner rode it more then a couple of miles. I'm not sure how much he spent but it must have been a lot, he put full Super Record groupset on it.

there are a bunch of podcasts with Erisken/Brad, Mosaic, Strong, etc. they say how busy they are and what their lead time is. It looks like there is no shortage of clients which means more bikes on the second hand market in the near future.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

There’s a shop not too far from you who does quite a few each year in steel and ti..

If you want to see some of these Ti super bikes were happy to welcome you on a. Ride in Park Ridge or wherever. I’m out in my No22 most weekends when it’s dry.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/phot...ahbs-part-two/
Old 03-24-2019, 07:09 PM
ZhugeLiang

Henrywildeberry rode to Sacramento-NAHBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDB54IfYFCY