Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Dallas is still no Minneapolis or Denver but things are improving.
I ride directly from my house most days it's not raining. Granted if you're a Mr.Time Trial the bike paths can get a little frustrating with walkers, skateboarders...etc.
but even then, those paths can lead Mr TT to where he needs to be in order to get his TT on.

the infrastructure Dallas has in place is quite impressive, in my book. and i didn't realize just how good it was until moving to back to Austin from Dallas, and being extremely disappointed in what Austin had to offer. (for the record, I lived in downtown Dallas, old Richardson, Plano/Garland, and Plano/ Frisco).
Old 03-20-2019, 08:51 AM
aka RAEKWON

I went to Dallas for a wedding years ago.

Things that I really liked - the food...
Old 03-20-2019, 12:39 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
True but in the early years NAHBS really was a place for small builders to show their stuff, take orders, yak..informal, fun..Still some of that but getting more 'corporate' by the year..and bigger..A lot of smaller builders have decided that a 'bike art show' and the race for awards wasn't in their best(business) interest and don't go anymore. PLUS it isn't cheap. Still a great show but it doesn't have the 'small town, local' feel it once had..IMHO, of course.
SJ #3 was tiny. Pretty much everyone had a 10x10 booth, and the builder/vendor was there in a folding chair behind a card table. I think Sacha had a 10x20... that was the year he brought the trike. I think there were three aisles. Now, this is a full blown trade show for better or worse.

In the end, it is what it is, so go (or don't). I think it is as fun as you want it to be. But, as they say, the genie is out of the bottle so there is no going back to the old days.

Who cares if Dallas has good riding or not. Has NAHBS been to any place where the riding was also epic? I am sure there are plenty of other things to do/see in Dallas than trying to squeeze in a 3 hour ride before the show doors open.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
SJ #3 was tiny. Pretty much everyone had a 10x10 booth, and the builder/vendor was there in a folding chair behind a card table. I think Sacha had a 10x20... that was the year he brought the trike. I think there were three aisles. Now, this is a full blown trade show for better or worse.

In the end, it is what it is, so go (or don't). I think it is as fun as you want it to be. But, as they say, the genie is out of the bottle so there is no going back to the old days.

Who cares if Dallas has good riding or not. Has NAHBS been to any place where the riding was also epic? I am sure there are plenty of other things to do/see in Dallas than trying to squeeze in a 3 hour ride before the show doors open.
I think the point about Dallas is not good for riding was there’s not a cycling community in Dallas which is entirely not true. Furthermore, there is plenty of money in Dallas. Furthermore, Dallas-ites like to spend money. All works for NAHBS
Old 03-20-2019, 02:22 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I think the point about Dallas is not good for riding was there’s not a cycling community in Dallas which is entirely not true. Furthermore, there is plenty of money in Dallas. Furthermore, Dallas-ites like to spend money. All works for NAHBS
I'm not sure what that means or what people expect it to mean.
Advocacy groups? (silicon valley bicycle coalition)
Local racing? (road, mtb, cross)
Bike commuters? (bike lanes, sharrows, bike first boxes at intersections)
Lots of shops (high end, box store, family)
I think of places like that and just think - too hot to ride. But, of course people do ride.

I wonder what the trend line percentage mix of local to out of town attendees for NAHBS has been ... easy flights and affordable hotels are as critical...

In the end....great it is there.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what that means or what people expect it to mean.
Advocacy groups? (silicon valley bicycle coalition)
Local racing? (road, mtb, cross)
Bike commuters? (bike lanes, sharrows, bike first boxes at intersections)
Lots of shops (high end, box store, family)
I think of places like that and just think - too hot to ride. But, of course people do ride.

I wonder what the trend line percentage mix of local to out of town attendees for NAHBS has been ... easy flights and affordable hotels are as critical...

In the end....great it is there.
I am not what it mean either. But I know people like to spend money and a health conscience in Dallas.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:22 PM

White Rock Lake trail worked for me last spring during a visit.
Looking forward to the show.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:51 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I am not what it mean either. But I know people like to spend money and a health conscience in Dallas.
I'm not criticizing your comment - rather just poking around as to what the location criteria really is. I would never fly unless I could do a day trip or a single night over. I dont need to have the trip costs be a non-trivial part of the new bike cost. Am glad it moves around - since bike nuts live all over the USA..
Old 03-20-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not criticizing your comment - rather just poking around as to what the location criteria really is. I would never fly unless I could do a day trip or a single night over. I dont need to have the trip costs be a non-trivial part of the new bike cost. Am glad it moves around - since bike nuts live all over the USA..
i actually agree with what you wrote. What is the flipping definition?