Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 09:37 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I really like the chocolate flavor. If you buy in the canister it is not too pricey.

https://shop.guenergy.com/products/r...nt=11815005953

Alan
25g of sugar per serving looks like this. There has been alot going around the last few years about replacing what you lost with a 3:1 ratio of Carbs:Protein, but dang, that is alot of sugar when you look at it. Which is probably why it's so tasty!
Old 10-23-2018, 09:40 AM
Kind of OK

Because my wonderful wife is a late sleeper, on Sundays she is usually fixing her breakfast when I get home from my "long" ride.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:51 AM

Do you eat dairy products? If yes try Greek yogurt. Oikos Triple Zero has 15 grams of protein in a 5.3oz 110 calorie serving. 6 grams of sugar.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:01 AM

Another option is to make your own. Do a basic Google search on homemade protein bars. There are lots of easy recipes, some don't require baking, for vegetarians and vegans on the web.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:24 AM

If you are looking for something high in protein, powder is the way to go. This is what I have been using https://shop.sixstarpro.com/products/casein-protein.htm

Very good tasting and zero sugar.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
Chocolate milk, really, just walk in, pour a glass, drink it, go shower.
This, but sometimes I don't even have anything until an hour or so after. I can't ride until I get home from work in the evening, and after I get back from a ride I usually try to spend as much time with my son as I can until he goes to bed.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:50 AM

I thought the general consensus was to eat carbs after a ride within a 20 minute window? I usually have a coke and a ham and cheese if I'm at home. Out on the road I drink First Endurance ULTRAGEN which I think is freaking fantastic. I have had a few boxes of PRO MEAL BARS and like the taste.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:25 AM

Crap

Same for those ONE Protein Bars, artificial sweetener and some crappy oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
See below for Think Thin Lemon Delight ingredient list.

Maltitol is a sugar alcohol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltitol

INGREDIENTS: PROTEIN BLEND (SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE, CALCIUM CASEINATE), COATING (MALTITOL, PALM KERNEL OIL, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY LECITHIN, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR), MALTITOL, GLYCERIN, SOY CRISPS (SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, TAPIOCA STARCH), ALMONDS, SUNFLOWER OIL, WATER, NATURAL FLAVOR, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, SEA SALT, ASCORBIC ACID, CITRIC ACID.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Another option is to make your own. Do a basic Google search on homemade protein bars. There are lots of easy recipes, some don't require baking, for vegetarians and vegans on the web.
If I can't find anything that seems to beat the Clif Builder's bars I may try this out. (as long as I don't have to use the oven...)
Old 10-23-2018, 02:46 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I thought the general consensus was to eat carbs after a ride within a 20 minute window?
https://www.mensjournal.com/food-dri...-greek-yogurt/

Quote:
It all comes down to the carbohydrates and protein,” says Manuel Villacorta, R.D., a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. “They’re the two key things your body needs—and right after you work out is when your blood circulates best.” If your main goal is to build muscle, try to eat at least 30g of protein and 30-35g of carbs within about 15 minutes of your workout. If you’re just trying to stay in shape or shed a few pounds, you can take your time and eat within 45 minutes or an hour after your workout.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:48 PM

Consider this an "ad".

My wife works in marketing and is working on a meat based protein bar.

I have a few cases at home of bars that are under or over weight and can't be sold.

Sample bars are free for postage from Toronto.

As for me, I can't eat anything with pea or bean proteins, they kill my stomach. My post ride refuel is typically a sandwich or a grilled chicken breast or steak to level out the sugars I've consumed.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I get all of my fitness information from Mens Journal...

Last edited by Mikej; 10-23-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I get all of my fitness information from Mens Journal...
That was an example, and merely one of the first things that came up when I did a Google search. Plenty of other resources say the same thing about protein + carbs after exercise.

Edit: If you don't believe it, then do whatever you like.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:54 AM

MetRX bar with a quart of water was my go-to for many years, back when the bars were of uniform consistency with no coating.
Their current bars all seem to have chip-bits on the mix or coating, which to me seems like a big step backward from the original that was so easy to eat after a race or hard training ride.

Post-ride refuel at the coffee shop for me is a big cup of milk with a few ounces of coffee and a bit of sugar or honey mixed in. The cost is the $2-3.00 cup of coffee and no more.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:16 AM

They're a waste of time, unless you're not getting enough protein via the rest of your diet.

If you've had a long, hard ride then some post ride sugars are a good idea. Otherwise, don't worry about it.