Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2018, 12:09 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I wouldn’t hesitate to run a Boone as a “one bike” but I think you’d want to build it up with a 2x drivetrain for road riding.
This

I loved my Boone. Great ride. Light enough that you aren't giving anything up to the other guys, big enough clearance for my needs.

If I wasn't going all-in on the FNs, I'd buy another.

Post mount vs flat mount is pretty much a 'looks' thing. They both work great.

M
Old 10-22-2018, 12:18 PM

BB height

BB height is a red herring- You can't say "a bike is squirrellybecause it has a high bb"-
I generally like bikes with low BB's- My current Seven has 7.5cm of bb drop- But my last bike was a Scott with something like 68mm of bb drop- It also rode great.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
This

I loved my Boone. Great ride. Light enough that you aren't giving anything up to the other guys, big enough clearance for my needs.

If I wasn't going all-in on the FNs, I'd buy another.

Post mount vs flat mount is pretty much a 'looks' thing. They both work great.

M
Only thing with post vs flat, is that Shimano won't offer their road hydro groupsets with post mount, only flat-mount going forward. So you'll have to use the mountain non-series brakes if you go post. Also, post is a bit heaver as a total system, but only around 50-75g depending on series.

I basically use my 2018 Spec Crux as an all-arounder but not a commuter, so don't need fenders. With road tires and wheels it gives nothing up to a dedicated road bike. The newer Trek Boones should be similarly great, with even more comfort with the Isospeed.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM

I don't own a Boone, I'm a Crockett guy, one bike and a spare frame. I'd build a Boone as an all around bike though. Two sets of wheels....one road, one all purpose. That's what I have for my Crockett, it makes a great road bike. But....I'm pleased with the geometry.

Let's clear up a few things about the Boone:
The 2019 models do have direct mount brakes, and 20mm through axles.
The 2019 models do have a front derailleur mount, it's included with a frameset and should be available from a Trek dealer. It's not round, the iso-speed seat tube isn't round either.
I cannot vouch for the tire clearance on the 2019 bikes, but the skewer frames would clear 40mm in the rear and wider in the front.

Hopefully you will find a dealer to get a test ride. In your position I wouldn't want to make that decision based in mine or others recommendations.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:28 PM

Boone

But none of this should be a deal breaker- You can buy Shifters without calipers and you can buy post mount calipers by themselves.
And the post mount calipers are relatively cheap and function even better than the flat mount brakes-
By a set of XTR race calipers- They kick **s, I have run them with Dura-Ace 9170 levers- they work great and are light. Maybe not Nth degree as light as 9170 flat mounts, but their performance makes up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Only thing with post vs flat, is that Shimano won't offer their road hydro groupsets with post mount, only flat-mount going forward. So you'll have to use the mountain non-series brakes if you go post. Also, post is a bit heaver as a total system, but only around 50-75g depending on series.

I basically use my 2018 Spec Crux as an all-arounder but not a commuter, so don't need fenders. With road tires and wheels it gives nothing up to a dedicated road bike. The newer Trek Boones should be similarly great, with even more comfort with the Isospeed.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
So you'll have to use the mountain **OR** non-series brakes if you go post. Also, post is a bit heaver as a total system, but only around 50-75g depending on series.
fixt

Having added the **or** you can probably use one of the new 4-pot brakes in the front if you want even more braking. I'm not sure if the caliper is cross compatible with the road lever, but I'll bet it'll work acceptably even if it officially isn't compatible

M
Old 10-22-2018, 12:41 PM

For a tall person intolerant of much saddle-to-bar drop, BB height (or drop) can be an important fit parameter. A lower BB requires less saddle height (from the floor), and therefore less saddle-to-handlebar drop, to achieve a given leg extension.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
fixt

Having added the **or** you can probably use one of the new 4-pot brakes in the front if you want even more braking. I'm not sure if the caliper is cross compatible with the road lever, but I'll bet it'll work acceptably even if it officially isn't compatible

M
Thanks for the edit, I definitely meant to put in "or" when describing the options.

And having to use non-series shouldn't be a deal-breaker unless someone's dead set on using all matching components or needs to make the purchase all at once.

Do the 4 piston brakes work with 160mm rotors? I know that flat mount really only works for two sizes at a time, and most if not all frames and forks account for 140mm and 160mm.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:18 PM

Somebody mentioned you'd want to build it with a 2X drivetrain if it was your only bike.

I haven't looked but that might dictate buying a frameset.. Trek sometimes has ridiculously restricted options for some of these bikes.

The year I bought my Domane they had like 20 models of Domane from whatever... $2,000-10,000.

Not a single build had a 53/39 chainring setup.. totally ridiculous to have some many variants and not have one that would be more appropriate for racing when they were marketing Fabian Cancellara to the moon.

I bought a frameset.. but for these kinds of bikes it seems you always end up paying more if you build up a frameset. Sure I have a power meter and I have Mavic wheels instead of Bontrager, I have my preferred Zipp bars instead of Bontrager, I didn't have to pay for a Bontrager saddle that would have gotten replaced with a Fizik. But I'm sure I didn't really come out ahead on money.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:52 PM

All the Trek CX models (Boone/Crockett) have SRAM 1x drivetrains. Which means SRAM 1x specific rear derailleurs. So a change to 2x means a new crankset (or pair of rings) a front shifter, and new derailleurs, front and rear, and maybe a new cassette.

Frame set might work out better, especially if you don’t want the Bonty cockpit pieces and wheels.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 PM

Again, thanks for the comments and discussions. This is great. It sounds like I'm not crazy.

If I did this, I'd get the frameset and do a custom 2x build from there.

There were a few comments about tire size. I'd probably be looking to run this with 28s most of the time since that seems the most general fast-paved-road-but-can-do-dirt-roads-too with.

Right now I have a Genesis Croix De Fer set up as an all-year-commuter and everything; dynamo hub, fenders, rack, 32s. I also have a 1986 Trek Elance 310 that I set up as a gravel bike with 650b/38s. I rode D2R2 on that bike, and it's great. Now I'm looking for a faster ride (and to keep the CdF permanently in winter mode). I want to go faster and do road rides with folks, but I also want to keep riding the places I like.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
it is about 1cm higher than the Domane. BUT wow the Domane has a low BB! 78 or 80mm drop is low.

for reference, my cross bikes are 63mm drop and road bikes are 68-70mm. I've ridden the cross bikes on the road a ton, and it's been fine.

so, to me: it's the 78-80mm of drop that would feel odd!
Yeah I don’t know why but I thought it was a 61mm drop-
Old 10-22-2018, 10:07 PM

If 28mm is all you’re after, the Émonda Disc will clear 30mm tires which gives you another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 AM

I personally have a 2018 Boone (new version) with two sets of wheels and have ridden it hard in cx races, then converted it to road only use this summer. It was awesome, no complaints as a road bike.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efixler View Post
If I did this, I'd get the frameset and do a custom 2x build from there.

There were a few comments about tire size. I'd probably be looking to run this with 28s most of the time since that seems the most general fast-paved-road-but-can-do-dirt-roads-too with.
well if you're only going to run up to 28's, not sure you should go with the Boone (as mentioned above). unless of course you just want a cross bike in your quiver too, which I get.

as far as running it 2x... you should talk to your shop. they may have one from last year, or can get one. the 2017 ones definitely had 2x options because I have a friend that bought one with 105, and I know there was an Ultegra option as well. BUT those also didn't have the Isospeed in the front or rear thru-axle...