Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2018, 12:48 PM

OT - but if you own a Ford product with the Cd4e tranny you should get rid of it now

OR prepare to spend a wicked amount - like a new Pegoretti frame and fork amount - on repair :-(

Anyone want to buy a Merlin roadie to help offset the beating I'm taking on this fix?

Now, I could have brought it to shop after shop to try and save a few bucks but the two quotes I've gotten so far are both brutal. If this truck didn't have only 96K on it I'd be putting a bullet in it. Ugh, cars and such ...
Old 10-22-2018, 12:52 PM

Tranny

Curious the models of Ford's this can apply too. Also, its close to 100K mi so did you do all the required maintenance?

About 20yrs ago I had a problem with the Tranny in a Ford Taurus, first generation EOD, I think I spent $2800 to repair that one so $4-$5K does not sound too excessive.

Just the same, it sucks to have it happen.

Ray
Old 10-22-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Curious the models of Ford's this can apply too. Also, its close to 100K mi so did you do all the required maintenance?

About 20yrs ago I had a problem with the Tranny in a Ford Taurus, first generation EOD, I think I spent $2800 to repair that one so $4-$5K does not sound too excessive.

Just the same, it sucks to have it happen.

Ray
Thankfully it's not 4-5! Quote is basically 2,500 but with tax I'm at the cost of a Duende lol. Mostly this truck sat more than it was driven (my dad's vehicle) and that didn't help. It should be great once it's back in action but based on the problem I could do the repair myself ... if not for lack of a lift LOL
Old 10-22-2018, 01:18 PM

Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbaz View Post
Thankfully it's not 4-5! Quote is basically 2,500 but with tax I'm at the cost of a Duende lol. Mostly this truck sat more than it was driven (my dad's vehicle) and that didn't help. It should be great once it's back in action but based on the problem I could do the repair myself ... if not for lack of a lift LOL
I have learned one thing about Automatic's, drive them and maintain them. Clearly they need to be operated, sitting not good, but following a good maintenance program also helps.

Good hearing it was not that bad. My guess is that the truck will be great once back on the road. Although, you might want to have the injectors looked at

Ray
Old 10-22-2018, 03:36 PM

I've known a few owners of American vans or trucks who ignored the prescribed automatic transmission service interval and paid the price. Sometimes it's 60k for an automatic.

I'm at 30years and 172k miles on an '88 Izuzu p/u and have drained my 5sp transmission and differential at every 30k. No problems yet.

When valve adjustments were a thing, 15k was sometimes the interval for that task. I did mine at 15k once, and then at every 30k (15k is prescribed) and have no problems, though mostly it's highway driving.

Letting spark plugs and cap and rotor become worn can have ill effects (failure) on coils, wires and even on primary switching electronics, yet many wait until symptoms (like cold-start roughness) are noted.

Brake fluid tends to absorb atmospheric moisture which may lead to master- and wheel-cylinder issues and loss of heat tolerance (loss of braking!), yet many do little more than bleed a couple of cc out when performing a routine brake job.

Aged anti-freeze will eat and/or clog the radiator core...
Old 10-22-2018, 04:23 PM

We inherited my mother in law's 8 year old Mercury some years ago, with 19,000 miles, and it wouldn't shift right. So took it to the dealership. The service writer suggested before we do anything extensive...that we do a total clean and flush...replace filter if it has one (it didn't). After this work, vehicle shifts perfectly, and has for many years now.

Also...don't assume it's a Ford transmission. The 5 speed automatic in our Mercury was made by AISIN....a Toyota company. So that Mercury trans is same as the 4 cylinder auto in Honda and Toyota, and a bunch others. We also had a 2005 Mercury, and it had a 6 speed auto made by AISIN...said so right on trans.

Most current Ford transmissions come from the joint GM and Ford transmission company. And I have seen V8 engine Mercedes on a lift....and the transmission plainly said GM.

Point is....Ford knows how to make good transmissions. As good as any others. Regular maintenance intervals depending on type of use, coolers (trans and power steering) if towing to keep fluid temps down, and they all can last a long time. If I had a pick up...and used it for any towing....would make sure it had a transmission fluid temp gauge....as many do now when made. Everything else being equal.....the life of an automatic transmission is directly related to the average trans fluid temp during use.

Last edited by Ralph; 10-22-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:57 AM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Curious the models of Ford's this can apply too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CD4E_transmission

1994–2002 Mazda 626 4-cylinder
1994–1997 Mazda MX-6 4-cylinder
1994–1997 Ford Probe 4-cylinder
1995–2000 Ford Contour
1995–2000 Mercury Mystique
1995–2007 Ford Mondeo (up to Mondeo III 4-cylinder model)
1999–2002 Mercury Cougar
2001–2008 Ford Escape
2001–2006 Mazda Tribute
2005–2008 Mercury Mariner
Old 10-23-2018, 09:49 AM
Administrator

If you truly need extensive repairs or another transmission

One word...Tremec.

William
Old 10-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Point is....Ford knows how to make good transmissions.
I agree, but they also know how to save a nickle and are willing to shave some lifetime off the vehicle to do it. Okay, they would sell their grandma to save a nickle, we're talking less than a penny on most cost saving modifications.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I agree, but they also know how to save a nickle and are willing to shave some lifetime off the vehicle to do it. Okay, they would sell their grandma to save a nickle, we're talking less than a penny on most cost saving modifications.
I believe the issue in mine is the "servo" or "2-4" band that allows it to shift in second and fourth ... right now it's a hard slam into third and no OD lol. $40 part that snaps inside and takes hours to get at to replace.