Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
So close, Campagnolo 31.8 would be the one I need! Thanks for checking!
just be careful when you get the Campy clamps. regardless what diameter it is they all have numbers 35 on the inside of the band. I ordered the wrong diameter (31.8), needed a 35mm but I saw the numbers inside the band so I installed it on my carbon frame. Didn't notice it cracked the frame until after almost 2 years because i didn't ride that bike at all.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:43 PM

Funny — I happen to need a Shimano clamp right now.

My local is reasonable for some of the consumables I buy (speedplay cleats) but vastly overpriced for others (tires). Strangely, I think they undercharge for things like wheel truing and bike builds.

I’m sure the economics of a shop in Brooklyn is weird.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Are derailleur clamps rare these days? I can go online and buy one but decided to take a trip out and support local shop and maybe buy few other things while there. I’m 0 for 3, have now spent 1.5 hours trying to buy a clamp - should have stuck to online bike shops. I understand not stocking rare parts but would have thought these were kinda standard to have laying around, normally I have a few in my spare parts bin! Sorry, vent over.
Shopping for parts at a bike shop, especially a small/independent shop, is like shopping for plumbing parts at the plumber's shop, or shopping for car parts at an auto mechanic's garage.

If you aren't hiring them to work on your bike, you're not really supporting them.

The margins on selling parts is bupkis for the bike shop.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:10 PM

In 2018 (almost 2019)- A Campagnolo front derailleur clamp in a specific size does qualify as a "random part".
Many shops will not have it, even good shops.
The part is size specific and almost group specific- A shop probably gets asked for this once every 3 years- And by then the one they order may not be the correct one for the newer style derailleur.

Shimano has taken that a step further- They now have clams that are specific to the DI2 front derailluers- They allow for engagement of the support bolt that strengthens and fine tunes the front deraileur.

So to satisfy everyone the shop would need 6-8 front derailleur clamps. Just to sell one here and there.
The shop can order to from QBP and have it in 1-2 days.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

and the irony is there's a thread on here about best place to get a rolex serviced. yet $50 for a tire at the lbs that can be bought from u.k. online for $30? damn the torpedos, shame on the lbs!

sheesh.....

Not a great argument/comparison.

One cannot purchase a Rolex "online" (and expect a real one with a warranty), dealerships are very limited, and nobody I know can service their own watch. All those grey market ones are actually selling above retail and have been "officially sold" before you get it even though you think it is new...so buyer beware.

As for the LBS, I gave up on them long time ago. I get tubes, tires, chains, and other consumables online, delivered to my house, and I can install them myself. I use the LBS for stuff I cannot do myself and only go during the off-season.

To make a real comparison, why does one get lesser service when purchasing a $9,000 carbon bike versus a $9,000 Rolex? Both come from retail locations (the jewelers are usually in more expensive rental areas), the profit margins on the items are about the same (please correct me if I am wrong), the jeweler probably carries more $9,000 Rolexes than the LBS does $9,000 carbon bikes, overall the jeweler has a more costly inventory to support, the salesperson at a jeweler makes more which takes more out of the profit margin for the jewelry store, and so many other reasons.

So why does one who purchases a $9,000 carbon bike get the same crappy service as someone who buys a $700 hybrid? I know I get a level of service at a Rolex jeweler that is exponentially better than what I can get at a place selling $500-700 Seiko watches.

Maybe this is why "studio concept" bike shops selling custom bikes that start at $6,000 are thriving as well as private builders but the good-old-LBS is dying.

Just my random thoughts.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-09-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Think about it.

Derailleur clamps don't do the following.

Wear out.

Break.

Get stolen.

Get upgraded (kinda but it's weird)

They also don't come in just one size and flavor to meet all needs.

Why should a bike shop stock all the options when they sell so few? If they have a bike in for service they order it. If someone comes in and "needs" one, they order it. Sounds smart to me.

I fail to see the problem, and BTW not having derailleur clamps in stock in all sizes and colors is not why bike shops are closing. And buying a little widget here and there that you overlooked having/buying for a new build from your LBS is not "supporting your local bike shop" Buying a middle of the road bike because you don't know sheet about bikes and need assistance and help from your "LBS" vs going to the Internet or a mega-store to save a few bucks is "supporting your local bike shop"

Drop by your local auto dealer and see if they have the exact door handle for your 1999 Ford Explorer in stock in the ruby red colorway you need...

You can't have it all. Rant over.
Any decent bike shop that’s been around long enough will have some laying around in their spare parts boxes. We have a few of every size, cheap plastic but we got em
Old 12-09-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpuddle View Post
Funny — I happen to need a Shimano clamp right now.

My local is reasonable for some of the consumables I buy (speedplay cleats) but vastly overpriced for others (tires). Strangely, I think they undercharge for things like wheel truing and bike builds.

I’m sure the economics of a shop in Brooklyn is weird.
Labor is the best chance a bike shop has to make a profit. Can't be undercut by an online seller.
Your example of Speedplay cleats and tires is a good one. Speedplay controls prices VERY closely. If an online seller discounts any Speedplay product, they w8ll be quickly put back in line by the only place they can buy Speedplay.
On the other hand, I see online sales for tires that are cheaper than wholesale. There are too many places suppliers can buy tires to control prices. Therefore bike shops get undercut on prices. Sad for the little bike shops.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Not a great argument/comparison.
So why does one who purchases a $9,000 ca
Where in the city are you going where you get crappy service buying a $9k bike??

Also QBP typically sets the prices for retailers and even prelabels the product with the retail price. This is to prevent retails having to race to the bottom and from bigger buyers from pricing out smaller ones.

And to follow up on the above, SP is the perfect example of a company that defends the LBS, while huge companies like Simano and Continental will let anyone willing to buy by the container load undercut even wholesalers online.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Any decent bike shop that’s been around long enough will have some laying around in their spare parts boxes. We have a few of every size, cheap plastic but we got em
LOL that's not the same thing and you know it! So, you have a bunch of crappy plastic clamps and shims in the "junk box" and will have them forever! Great inventory at your shop!

How many 31.8 Campy do you have in stock? No cheating. If you have one great....that doesn't mean every damn bike shop should have that part.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Nobody stocks anything these days-qpb is next day delivery. See the other industry threads.
The moment the shop says they can order it, they've already lost.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
The moment the shop says they can order it, they've already lost.
Wrong. Sorry. Just wrong
Old 12-10-2018, 02:05 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Are derailleur clamps rare these days? I can go online and buy one but decided to take a trip out and support local shop and maybe buy few other things while there. I’m 0 for 3, have now spent 1.5 hours trying to buy a clamp - should have stuck to online bike shops. I understand not stocking rare parts but would have thought these were kinda standard to have laying around, normally I have a few in my spare parts bin! Sorry, vent over.
That sort of mirrors my experience. My personal highlight was a bike shop clerk who had never heard what "Campagnola" (thats what he spelt it like) was supposed to be. i mean, even if you're focussing on cargo bikes, Bromptons and kid carriers, a little market knowledge never hurt i thought.

Twenty years ago, my LBS was a specialized expert on racing bikes who had a variety of nice brands on display, which were hand-picked by the owner for certain reasons, these may be quality, reliability of supply, most of which were beneficial to me as a customer.
Today, it's a Specialized dealership with very limited, if at all, choice of other brands. No reason whatsoever to go there any more. I hear if you apply to be a Specialized (or Trek, or Bianchi..) "flagship store" or whatever they call it, it isn't unheard of that they send out inspectors to check if you go rogue and have a (one) bike of a different brand on display, they don't like that at all and threaten to take away your dealer status.
I understand it may be a good deal for the shop owner, at least on the short term, but for me as a customer (as opposed to a fan boi) that shop has just vanished from the landscape.
The strong global brands are very actively pushing the niche suppliers out of the market, with the active help of us, the happy customers, of course. I think there should be room between Trek/Speci and the few boutique brands (the sort you fly in to have a coffee with the framebuilder and discuss paintjobs) who were lucky enough to gain popularity a while ago, for the small suppliers who often make interesting stuff. I see them vanishing..

Last edited by martl; 12-10-2018 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Where in NYC are you going where you get crappy service buying a $9k bike??
Toga, Sids, Larry and Jeff's, NYC Velo, Conrad's, Bicycle Habitat, R&A....Should I go on?

(I was born, grew up, and lived most of my adult life in Manhattan save the last few years in NJ and Boston so I know the LBS all too well)

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-10-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiclistiCliff View Post
Wrong. Sorry. Just wrong
So wrong.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
just be careful when you get the Campy clamps. regardless what diameter it is they all have numbers 35 on the inside of the band. I ordered the wrong diameter (31.8), needed a 35mm but I saw the numbers inside the band so I installed it on my carbon frame. Didn't notice it cracked the frame until after almost 2 years because i didn't ride that bike at all.
Ahh..no, the 31.8mm clamp has a '32' on the inside..the 34.9 one says '35'...

If your frame was indeed 34.9mm, there is NO way a 31.8mm band would have fit. Your frame cracked for some other reason..