Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 11:24 AM

Really trying to support local shop but....

Are derailleur clamps rare these days? I can go online and buy one but decided to take a trip out and support local shop and maybe buy few other things while there. I’m 0 for 3, have now spent 1.5 hours trying to buy a clamp - should have stuck to online bike shops. I understand not stocking rare parts but would have thought these were kinda standard to have laying around, normally I have a few in my spare parts bin! Sorry, vent over.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
normally I have a few in my spare parts bin!
Sounds like maybe you're a little upset at yourself, too... It's okay, everything will work out.

My advice, for future endeavors, is that a call ahead is a pretty big time saver when it comes to part searches at local bike shops. YMMV.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:42 AM

Nobody stocks anything these days-qpb is next day delivery. See the other industry threads.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:19 PM

I just bought $300 in parts at the LBS. I went in with a list of what I wanted, which I didn't expect them to have all in stock. I didn't need any of the parts right away, so it was no problem that they had to be ordered. The industry/world has changed (as some current threads address), so maybe we have to change to support the LBS.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:27 PM
Classics Fan

When I was having my last bike built, I got a quote from the builder for the complete build. I went to my LBS and said I'd be happy to support them if they could match the price for parts/labor that my frame builder was going to charge.

In that case, it is sort of a toss up. I'd like to support my builder, but also like to support the LBS or mechanic that will do work on the bike down the road.

If I were in need of a new group set or other big ticket item, I'd go into the shop and say I'd like to support them, but I see XYZ price from a reputable online dealer --- If you can get in the ball park, I'd rather give my business to you.

In today's world, that seems pretty fair to me.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:05 PM
v a n i l l a

If you need a campag 35mm lmk....
Old 12-09-2018, 01:59 PM

So close, Campagnolo 31.8 would be the one I need! Thanks for checking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
If you need a campag 35mm lmk....
Old 12-09-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
Are derailleur clamps rare these days? I can go online and buy one but decided to take a trip out and support local shop and maybe buy few other things while there. I’m 0 for 3, have now spent 1.5 hours trying to buy a clamp - should have stuck to online bike shops. I understand not stocking rare parts but would have thought these were kinda standard to have laying around, normally I have a few in my spare parts bin! Sorry, vent over.
Think about it.

Derailleur clamps don't do the following.

Wear out.

Break.

Get stolen.

Get upgraded (kinda but it's weird)

They also don't come in just one size and flavor to meet all needs.

Why should a bike shop stock all the options when they sell so few? If they have a bike in for service they order it. If someone comes in and "needs" one, they order it. Sounds smart to me.

I fail to see the problem, and BTW not having derailleur clamps in stock in all sizes and colors is not why bike shops are closing. And buying a little widget here and there that you overlooked having/buying for a new build from your LBS is not "supporting your local bike shop" Buying a middle of the road bike because you don't know sheet about bikes and need assistance and help from your "LBS" vs going to the Internet or a mega-store to save a few bucks is "supporting your local bike shop"

Drop by your local auto dealer and see if they have the exact door handle for your 1999 Ford Explorer in stock in the ruby red colorway you need...

You can't have it all. Rant over.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:35 PM

Perhaps I should have called my post, why bike shops are losing customers like me. All your points are 100% valid. I like steel and titanium bikes and the carbon stuff I see around just does not interest me. I’m definitely not the normal shopper. In my dream world maybe one of these shops will open back up that stock old parts and small bits and pieces and will make a million dollars off us old riders. This dream shop will also carry kids bikes but can save that idea for another day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Think about it.

Derailleur clamps don't do the following.

Wear out.

Break.

Get stolen.

Get upgraded (kinda but it's weird)

They also don't come in just one size and flavor to meet all needs.

Why should a bike shop stock all the options when they sell so few? If they have a bike in for service they order it. If someone comes in and "needs" one, they order it. Sounds smart to me.

I fail to see the problem, and BTW not having derailleur clamps in stock in all sizes and colors is not why bike shops are closing. And buying a little widget here and there that you overlooked having/buying for a new build from your LBS is not "supporting your local bike shop" Buying a middle of the road bike because you don't know sheet about bikes and need assistance and help from your "LBS" vs going to the Internet or a mega-store to save a few bucks is "supporting your local bike shop"

Drop by your local auto dealer and see if they have the exact door handle for your 1999 Ford Explorer in stock in the ruby red colorway you need...

You can't have it all. Rant over.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Pack fill

Frustrated

I went by my LBS (15 miles away) for 4 cables, 2 shifter and 2 brake. The total was $26. Each brake was $8, each shifter was $5. When I got home I checked Amazon for their prices. I understand the LBS would be more but not as much as it turned out to be. Buyer beware
Old 12-09-2018, 03:03 PM

this thread cracks me up. gotta say, a lotta (but not all) cyclists are some of the cheapest sumbitches out there. i know guys who are millionaire's that bitch and moan about not getting free kit with their club/team, or not enough of a discount by sponsoring shop, they want to be fawned over & chatted up by the kid making $15/hr. while they drive in their super expensive car or SUV to drop off the $10k+ bike to get a derailleur adjusted or flat tire fixed, etc. no wonder so many lbs's are going outta biz.

ever hang out with golfers? man, that's a freespending group that will do whatever it takes and not give a damn on price, at any income level. extra 20 yards with that newfangled $500 driver even if it means skipping dinners out for a month or two? done.

and the irony is there's a thread on here about best place to get a rolex serviced. yet $50 for a tire at the lbs that can be bought from u.k. online for $30? damn the torpedos, shame on the lbs!

sheesh.....

Last edited by 54ny77; 12-09-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:12 PM

I took a quick look at Amazon, and it looks like the Shimano shifter and brake cables go for about $5-6 each. What is the big difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
I went by my LBS (15 miles away) for 4 cables, 2 shifter and 2 brake. The total was $26. Each brake was $8, each shifter was $5. When I got home I checked Amazon for their prices. I understand the LBS would be more but not as much as it turned out to be. Buyer beware
Old 12-09-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I took a quick look at Amazon, and it looks like the Shimano shifter and brake cables go for about $5-6 each. What is the big difference?
Perfect example. Buy decent quality cables from l9cal bike shop, then moan that a totally different cable is cheaper online. Everybody wants everything for nothing. No wonder local shops are dying.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:29 PM

I agree with a lot of the posts here -

When I was working at a shop 20 years ago, the group of riders that were the cheapest in order were - triathletes, roadies, and then the mountain bikers. As you can imagine, the group with the most disposable income based on looking at the bikes were in that order too.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:33 PM

Having worked at shops, here's how I see it: if you know exactly what you need, and it's not something a shop is likely have in inventory, just buy it online. No harm no foul. All retail is moving to the internet and that's just the reality of the 21st century. However, if you don't know what you need and the shop has to figure it out for you, always go thru the shop. This is because you're paying for the knowledge, not just clicking some boxes on a website. The worst thing you can do is have them look at your bike, get a complete estimate including parts, and then go buy everything yourself online (it happens. Often).

If you really want to support your LBS, now's the time. Many shops have booked their 2019 dealer orders and hurting for cash. Bring that bike in that you've been neglecting for a tuneup. Have those wheels built. Employees are often hurting for hours, and more owners are facing the challenging calculus of maintaining full time employees while also facing increasing rents.