Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 AM

Somewhat OT - Rowing Machine for Home Use

I'm generally opposed to buying fitness equipment for the house since I can picture it taking up space and never getting used... but I wanted to check the forum wisdom on a rowing machine.

My wife was an avid cross fitter for a number of years, but with two young boys and a full time job she has recently and reluctantly given up her CF membership. She's mentioned a few times casually she would really like to have a rowing machine at home so she could do some of her workouts before/after the kids are in bed but grumbled about the cost. I am considering surprising her with one for Christmas.

I called her gym and did some research and seems most people use the Concept 2 Rower. https://www.roguefitness.com/black-c...SAAEgLbD_D_BwE

I trust the forum wisdom more than the general internet... anybody have experience with one? Is this the one to get and is it something worthwhile to have in the house? It's looking like full retail price is inevitable, which goes against my very being, but it is what it is...
Old 12-07-2018, 10:26 AM

Do a search on Paceline, and you'll find a lot of information about Concept2 rowers, e.g., https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2452182.

Last edited by fiamme red; 12-07-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:33 AM

There was a recent thread about rowing machines. Many Concept 2 users here, it seems. We have a Model C which works really well. The Model D has some updated interface features, but the mechanical action is basically the same. A used Model C would be a savings. For example, there's one for sale locally here for $580.

Anyway, these are beautifully designed and executed and always a great workout.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 AM

yeah, i agree. do a search, we've had this discussion before.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Do a search on Paceline, and you'll find a lot of information about Concept2 rowers, e.g., https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2452182.
This thread has everything I need, not sure how I missed it.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Recreational User

I have an older Concept 2 rower. We each use it at least once a week. I like it and would get another one. Don't hesitate buying a used one. All parts are available and the monitors can easily be upgraded.

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?"
Old 12-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Concept C2

It’s a no contest thing, simply the best and most reliable. You can find them used, but they hold their value so $750 for a nice used one is a good price. Good thing is you can use it for 3/4 years and if you want get all your money back. Better than bikes in a lot of ways.

The excercise complements riding and you can build lower body strength with one.

No other rower comes close

Best

Ray

Last edited by Bentley; 12-07-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-07-2018, 09:57 PM

Think I’m giving up a lot not getting the newest model?

I don’t think Bluetooth power meter tech would be of interest to my wife.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/sp...766239522.html
Old 12-07-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
Think I’m giving up a lot not getting the newest model?

I don’t think Bluetooth power meter tech would be of interest to my wife.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/sp...766239522.html
It will for you...

The newest version of the Performance Monitor, the PM5, allows you to connect an ANT+ heart rate monitor and your phone really easily (and with C2's free App, ErgData, maintain an online logbook). The PM5 upgrade kit is $180, so you could upgrade the older model if you decide it's worth it.

https://shop.concept2.com/performanc...etrofitmodel-c
Old 12-08-2018, 12:41 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

My CF gym here outside of Philly is selling their used ones for 650. Not sure where you are but dm me if interested.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:17 AM

Back in the day (10 years ago, prior to major back issues which brought to a halt any rowing...) I used to have the rowpro - digital rowing set up. At the time I think it was a few hundred dollars. With it you can join or establish a work-out and watch your little boat on the computer screen "race" against others from around the world. Very motivational and quite fun. It is a nice addition to the rower (concept 2).
Old 12-08-2018, 01:20 PM

To the question you asked about what you are giving up vs. the newer models, not a lot in terms of the basic machine. The main differences are that the rail is slightly higher, the finish is a little nicer, and the handle has a slight sweep to it (and of course, the performance monitor is much nicer). I think the height and finish changes were probably driven more to cater to the health club market. If the machine has been refurbished (i.e., new bungee cord, etc.), it should function the same as a newer model. One thing is certain—you will never be able to break it or wear it out.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:49 PM

Be careful with rolling machines, for some people it can hurt their backs, and especially those with some sort of lower back pain already. I knew a guy who never had back pain till he got a roller, and about 6 months after getting it he started experience back issues, went to the doctor and the doc told him to sell his roller because it was causing his pain and the doc had seen this situation numerous times.

I'm not sure why it bothers some people and not others, maybe it's technique, maybe since the machine is not custom built for a person's particular body since it can't adjust properly for all types, or maybe some people already had some sort of issue with their back and didn't know it, all I know is that doctors get a lot of back complaints with the use of those machines.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:02 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
Be careful with rolling machines, for some people it can hurt their backs, and especially those with some sort of lower back pain already. I knew a guy who never had back pain till he got a roller, and about 6 months after getting it he started experience back issues, went to the doctor and the doc told him to sell his roller because it was causing his pain and the doc had seen this situation numerous times.

I'm not sure why it bothers some people and not others, maybe it's technique, maybe since the machine is not custom built for a person's particular body since it can't adjust properly for all types, or maybe some people already had some sort of issue with their back and didn't know it, all I know is that doctors get a lot of back complaints with the use of those machines.
This seems to me to be needlessly alarmist.

If you're in generally good shape, and you row with proper technique (which isn't that hard to learn) I'd say that it's unlikely that you'll have any back issues. For the record, I've had way more back and knee issues due to cycling than I have due to rowing. I'm sure part of it is from much more time spent on a given bike ride than on the rower, but either way, the erg's nothing to be afraid of (other than the fact that it can be brutally hard - in a good way - if you really want to push yourself).

Dark Horse is a good source for rowing info. (as is the C2 web site)

Here's a relevant link: https://darkhorserowing.com/rowing-away-low-back-pain/
Old 12-09-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
This seems to me to be needlessly alarmist.

If you're in generally good shape, and you row with proper technique (which isn't that hard to learn) I'd say that it's unlikely that you'll have any back issues. For the record, I've had way more back and knee issues due to cycling than I have due to rowing. I'm sure part of it is from much more time spent on a given bike ride than on the rower, but either way, the erg's nothing to be afraid of (other than the fact that it can be brutally hard - in a good way - if you really want to push yourself).

Dark Horse is a good source for rowing info. (as is the C2 web site)

Here's a relevant link: https://darkhorserowing.com/rowing-away-low-back-pain/
It's not needless at all, I've known people who were in tremendous physical condition and those machines hurt their back. And NOTE, I said in my original post: "SOME", I did not say all people. The biggest problem with those machines too is getting the technique right, and that is some of the problem is too. https://rowingmachinepros.com/does-r...wer-back-pain/