Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2018, 01:39 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I agree. I feel like the industry is going more off-road. Mountain biking is becoming huge and if you look at RUSA membership and rando oriented marketing you can start to see the new industry direction
here we go again for the second time.

we saw this before and then -7 came along.

who will be the next compelling American road cyclist?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
Road racing is dead and broke. It's not worth fixing in my opinion. Enduro and MTB multi day races/tours are where racing is growing.
And the gravel segment
Old 12-07-2018, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by btanner View Post
https://bicycleretailer.us17.list-ma...5&e=25aa387388

As difficult as things are in the bike business, I wasn't expecting to see this.
Not surprised, this has been coming for quite a while. A trip to any of the recent Interbikes, compared to years past and the writing was on the wall.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
The need for the event died at least 10 years ago

No reason to go, no deals, no new gadgets

Ski industry is different, crazy discounts if you commit to purchases etc. I go to that show. Bike industry is going backwards, that's for sure. Margins are thin and getting thinner and Specialized/trek has been spending too much time at the wine bar with tech VCs and getting a little to cute with $ and commitments. Last man standing will be QBP, they're the only manufacturer/distributer that isn't one flat tire away from filing for bankruptcy. If a retailer isn't stupid and pays attention, they'll be fine. The places where they buy their stuff...it's gonna get rough
QBP is in trouble too. Looking at who they are..and are not..selling to is an indication of their issues. They used to draw the line at deep discounted stuff bought from them being resold and were dead set against selling direct to the end user..both of those have gone by the way side(PlanetCyclery as an example..pretty sure they are 'owned' by QBP somehow)...Even if they don't 'own' PC, PC discounts deeply and gets a TON of stuff from QBP warehouse in Denver. They feel the pinch to LBS...
Old 12-07-2018, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
To hear Patrick Brady and Selene Yeager tell it, the Reno show this year was a clusterphack..

SeaOtter seems alive and well though - no?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
SeaOtter and Interbike 2 different 'concepts'. Interbike was for new product introduction and pre season sales. SeaOtter is a YUGE demo day..not really for sales.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:21 AM

Not really a surprise. Huge trade shows like Interbike are dying in all kinds of industries, they just aren't needed anymore in the Internet age. I would much rather go to something like Sea Otter, do some organized rides, check out new stuff, watch some racing, etc. Sounds better than walking around a convention center...
Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Road racing is dead and broke. It's not worth fixing in my opinion. Enduro and MTB multi day races/tours are where racing is growing.

In that case I wish I was an averaged sized person...que up all the deals on antiquated, valueless road gear in the classifieds!!!

William
Old 12-07-2018, 08:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
That may be but compared to the sales of 'road bikes', the Groad/enduro/dirt segment along with dirt/gravel organized rides is still teeny by comparison.

Road racing in Europe is not 'dead and broke' by a long shot.
Quote:
After its first year of being broadcast in full, the Tour de France has seen audience figures jump, with a record peak audience of 7.3million television viewers watching stage 21 on the Champs-Élysées.

With 105 hours of live coverage, 25 hours more than 2016, the Tour enjoyed a 38.4% share of audience in France, its best figures since 2013.

This rise in popularity was mirrored across Europe with Eurosport reporting a 10% jump in ratings across the continent.

An average of 785,000 watched each stage on Eurosport, with year-on-year growth experienced in Spain, Italy and Germany. Eurosport particularly profited from the Grand Depart in Düsseldorf with a 37% rise in viewings in Germany.

The 2017 Tour was also the most watched edition in Spain since 2009 - when Spaniard Alberto Contador took his last overall victory.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/3190/...stage-coverage
Old 12-07-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
makes sense, and it makes even more sense to cancel a mega expensive show before it crashes and burns with no one showing up.

i suspect NAHBS will go the same way within 5 years max. Maybe return as a leaner, more intimate show similar to what philly has become.

the internet has changed everything, and the whole bicycle selling landscape is totally different than it was in the 90's.

back then, if you wanted to really see what was new with bikes, you went and checked out the LBS and the industry rags they had for sale there. today, i sit in front of my internet box and know way more than any LBS employee about what the new tech is that i want.

the other concept that is reasonably new is brand loyalty demands on LBS.

Trek or Spec stores, for example, pretty much only carry one or maybe two core brands, and all their branded accessories. why even go to interbike and see what all the competition has to offer if you're never going to stock it in your shop?

the bicycle business is definitely not in trouble, but it's changing fast. keep up or die.

This year NAHBS is set for March 15-16-17 in Sacramento, CA
Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
SeaOtter and Interbike 2 different 'concepts'. Interbike was for new product introduction and pre season sales. SeaOtter is a YUGE demo day..not really for sales.
We sell a good amount of product at Sea Otter, have been for 4 years. I've definitely noticed an uptick in people coming to Sea Otter to do business. For the last 10 or so years it's become a place for smaller brands, like ours to do a show in a more cost effective format. It fills that spot rather well in an outdoor venue with a good vibe all around. I am a little curious about what Sea Otter will do now that Interbike might be done.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
This year NAHBS is set for March 15-16-17 in Sacramento, CA
im going
Old 12-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I agree. I feel like the industry is going more off-road. Mountain biking is becoming huge and if you look at RUSA membership and rando oriented marketing you can start to see the new industry direction
Having Americans like Ben King and Taylor Phinney in The Tour is great, but I don't know if their presence is really helping your average American get on a go-fast road bike. I feel like if anything the Williams brothers, Coryn Rivera, instagram generally, and the low stakes weed-smokery of Ultra Romance are getting more people on bikes and less afraid to ride and be with people while riding.
The LBS I used to work at is doing a pretty good job is steadily going towards only selling shop branded merch/accessories. It turns the shop into a destination instead of a conduit for multinationals.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
im going
NAHBS or Philly Bike Expo...if you can only make one coastal trip?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:40 AM

Bikes and their tech are pretty durable. Only crazy people buy new stuff every year, or own more than one bike.

Smart phones, on the other hand, absolutely must be replaced every year, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
Sac'to NAHBS or Philly Bike Expo...if you can only make one coastal trip?
Bahn Mi or Hoagies? Hmmmmmmm... tough choice!

Sac'to can't match Philly for trails to ride tho'. And the Barnes Foundation!

Last edited by 93KgBike; 12-07-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
QBP is in trouble too. Looking at who they are..and are not..selling to is an indication of their issues. They used to draw the line at deep discounted stuff bought from them being resold and were dead set against selling direct to the end user..both of those have gone by the way side(PlanetCyclery as an example..pretty sure they are 'owned' by QBP somehow)...Even if they don't 'own' PC, PC discounts deeply and gets a TON of stuff from QBP warehouse in Denver. They feel the pinch to LBS...
As a consumer, I don't understand what QBP is trying to do. There is so much overlap in the offerings from their brands that it seems like they're competing against themselves. It seems like it would be hard to establish and maintain brand loyalty when the same bike is offered under different labels.