Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2018, 11:29 AM

apologies in advance: another tire thread

Sorry. But seeking knowledge in area I'm not too familiar with and my "searches" have resulted in MORE questions so please bear with me....

Got myself a 'legit' crossbike. I say legit because prior cx contraption was a Specialized Tricross from 1999 which was neither gravel bike or CX.....but it could fit fatty 700x43 tires.

I "saw the light" with regard to fat tires and sold the Tricross and got myself rim brake Crockett.(yay) The guy that sold it to me said I wouldn't be able to fit anything bigger than 700x38 cause it was "true cx 'race'" bike (uhhhh okaaayy) so I'm in market for 700x38 tire that is super durable and will see 50% hard-packed dirt (canal), 30% rough road, and 20% gravel.

This will also be my go to winter and commuting bike so I'm leaning more towards durability than performance.

Lastly....what about tubeless? The Tricross had tubless 700x43 Gravelkings and holy cow it was so supple and nice at 50 PSI......especially when commuting with 15 lb backpack. Will I lose some of that suppleness if I go with a tire that requires inter tube?

Sorry for being annoying and asking YET another tire question.

Shutting up now.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:41 AM

Gravel Kings

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=1&minor=27

Just set them up tubeless.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
DAMN that's cheap too!! So regarding tubeless.......I live in AZ and my garage is literal kryptonite to stans. Will running thorn resistant tubes decrease ride quality dramatically? Normal tubes?
Old 11-02-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Will running thorn resistant tubes decrease ride quality dramatically?
Yes.

Quote:
Normal tubes?
Not to a huge degree in and of itself. If it causes you to run higher pressures than you'd otherwise prefer in order to avoid pinch flats, then yes.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:59 AM

What rims are on the Crockett? Who set up your 43 GK's tubeless? The 38s are pretty much the same. IIRC canal riding in the PHX metro is a lot of goatheads. I'd roll tubeless if at all possible.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I "saw the light" with regard to fat tires and sold the Tricross and got myself rim brake Crockett.(yay) The guy that sold it to me said I wouldn't be able to fit anything bigger than 700x38 cause it was "true cx 'race'" bike (uhhhh okaaayy) so I'm in market for 700x38 tire that is super durable and will see 50% hard-packed dirt (canal), 30% rough road, and 20% gravel.
the UCI has a stipulation that CX tires can't be any wider than 33mm. they use a caliper to verify this width just before letting you line up, and will DQ you if you're over it. the Crockett was built for people racing under such conditions (although that doesn't apply to everyone racing it; amateur racing is much more lenient), and has the geometry tuned with that in mind. that's all the seller meant.

almost forgot my tire recommendation! for the surfaces you describe, I would check out the Donnelly X'Plor MSO, 36mm wide, set up tubeless. I've had incredible luck with their tires set up tubeless, even at super low pressures in CX practice and riding singletrack. not using Stans though; Orange Seal. as long as you've got tubeless compatible rims, shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by chiasticon; 11-02-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
the UCI has a stipulation that CX tires can't be any wider than 33mm.
Yep. CX is specifically an underbiking discipline; people aren't riding road-esque bikes with skinny tires because it makes sense, they're doing it because that's what the sport is. On some cyclocross courses, going considerably wider could allow better performance, but they stay skinny because skinny tires are what UCI Cyclocross is.

Some governing bodies don't really care, though. At entry-level USAC stuff, you see people riding pretty much every kind of bike imaginable.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:31 PM

You should be able to fit the 43c GravelKing in your Crockett. I've seen them with 43c Bruce Gordons before - even the older canti version.

UPDATE:

Found this one with 43c GravelKings.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
Some governing bodies don't really care, though. At entry-level USAC stuff, you see people riding pretty much every kind of bike imaginable.
My understanding is that unless you're riding in a UCI event or the national championships, USA Cycling does not enforce the 33mm tire width rule.

Greg
Old 11-02-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
the UCI has a stipulation that CX tires can't be any wider than 33mm. they use a caliper to verify this width just before letting you line up, and will DQ you if you're over it. the Crockett was built for people racing under such conditions (although that doesn't apply to everyone racing it; amateur racing is much more lenient), and has the geometry tuned with that in mind. that's all the seller meant.

almost forgot my tire recommendation! for the surfaces you describe, I would check out the Donnelly X'Plor MSO, 36mm wide, set up tubeless. I've had incredible luck with their tires set up tubeless, even at super low pressures in CX practice and riding singletrack. not using Stans though; Orange Seal. as long as you've got tubeless compatible rims, shouldn't be a problem.
Wow very cool. Lots of good info here. Thanks for sharing. Good to know on the UCI stuff....that HAS to be what he meant cause I am currently running 34's and there is GOBS of room.....
Old 11-02-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
What rims are on the Crockett? Who set up your 43 GK's tubeless? The 38s are pretty much the same. IIRC canal riding in the PHX metro is a lot of goatheads. I'd roll tubeless if at all possible.

Bontrager race?? I’m assuming they’re what came on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
You should be able to fit the 43c GravelKing in your Crockett. I've seen them with 43c Bruce Gordons before - even the older canti version.

UPDATE:

Found this one with 43c GravelKings.

These are 33’s I’m there now and looks like plenty of room for fatter

Old 11-02-2018, 01:17 PM
Bike Guy

Look at the offerings from WTB. I believe they have a 700x38 with some bite, almost all their tires are TCS (tubeless). I have also been very impressed with every tire from Specialized that I have used. I believe they have a light traction 700x38 CX/gravel oriented tire also. And some friends of mine who had choices of tire sponsors went with Maxxis and are running 700x35/38 offerings on their racier cross bikes. Usually for long gravel rides with pavement in between. Tire options are a bit overwhelming these days.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Bontrager race?? I’m assuming they’re what came on it

I'm almost positive those are tubeless ready. I think that's the icon in gray on the R side of the label.

If they are like every other bontrager rim I've tried, tubeless should be pretty straightforward with tubeless ready tires. Tape, valves, soapy water, air compressor, sealant, ride.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:27 PM

I have the same pink frame, nanos (40) fit with room to spare. Limit is the drive side chainstay. I have compass Steilacoom 38s now and they have lots of space.

Got a wheel set with 38mm simworks slicks and they are great, basically the gravelking but with more sidewall protection.