Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 08:34 PM

Wend wax

Has anyone tried the new Wend wax? it looks like you just apply it, massage it in and go...stripping, cleaning, melting, etc. seems to be easy to use!
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...-pocket?sg=501
Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Wendwax

I am using it now on my gravel bike.
It works pretty well.
I was asking about solvents and softeners because they sell a solvent, but only in small containers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
Has anyone tried the new Wend wax? it looks like you just apply it, massage it in and go...stripping, cleaning, melting, etc. seems to be easy to use!
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...-pocket?sg=501
Old 12-10-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Does anyone know what the best solvent/softener for wax is?
I know that Wendwax sells it- But I don't know what it is and my chemistry is weak.
I am sure I can but the proper stuff in a huge jug at the hardware store- I just don't know what to buy.
I have no idea what Wendwax sells. Among the chemicals available at hardware stores by the pint or gallon, xylenes.

Fun fact: when pathologists take a bit of tissue for examination, they'll usually fix it with formalin or formaldehyde and then embed it in paraffin wax. It's suitable for long-term storage and the wax is stiff enough for cutting thin sections of tissue to mount onto microscope slides for examination. When it comes time to remove the wax (for staining or IHC), the solvent used in most standard lab protocols is xylenes.

Subjectively, the fumes are worse than you get from mineral spirits or lacquer thinner, but not quite as bad as gasoline. I would avoid using it indoors, and definitely don't pour it down your drain. It also deforms natural rubber/latex gloves and will get through them rather quickly, so go with nitrile gloves instead.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:47 PM

I tried Wend for a good while and quit using it. The chain and bike were clean, but it is the messiest stuff I've ever used. Chunks of dirty wax flake off and just embed into my basement floor. Overall, Silca NFS is much cleaner, quieter and seems to last better.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:18 PM

In my search for VM&P Naptha, a fast drying thinner for oil based paint and varnish, I thought about a slighly different form of naptha, which is camp stove fuel or white gas. I found gallons of Crown brand white gas for only $8.50 at WalMart. That will be my next test subject for dissolving paraffin.