Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2018, 09:26 PM

Chain waxing question...

So I did my first attempt at waxing, used a crock pot, ultrasonic cleaned chain, molten speed wax, etc.
Wax got nice and hot/liquid, let the chain soak for 45 minutes in it stirring it around every so often, then removed and hung dry.
I re-installed it (wipperman w/master link), and with the bike in the work stand I spun the cranks backwards fast for several minutes, then forward shifting gears for a few minutes.
But for some reason the chain runs very very rough. Does it take more than that to work it in? I removed the chain and put on my kmc chain with regular chain oil, smooth as silk....
Old 08-24-2018, 09:45 PM

When you say it runs rough is it just a bit loud? Also did you have to move the links of the chain due to stiffness once everything cooled?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
When you say it runs rough is it just a bit loud? Also did you have to move the links of the chain due to stiffness once everything cooled?
Yes I worked all the links a bit loose after it all cooled, then re-installed. It actually feels rough, vibrating through the cranks. I'm -guessing- its not worked in properly and thus not making proper contact with the teeth of the chainring and/or cassette? But I was spinning it super fast in the stand for a while...maybe it works in better when under actual pedalling pressure?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:52 PM

I think you're right with the chain running better under load. I've gone to waxing over the last year and have also found things to be not a smooth in the work stand. Give it a go on a short ride and see if it improves.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:31 PM

Thanks. Yeah I just tried again, had the chain rewaxed and drying when I posted this thread. I just had it on the bike again, same result, but this time I then took the chain off and actually examined it, and it is still quite tight all over, must need a better break in on the bike. Will take it out for a spin tomorrow...
Old 08-24-2018, 11:22 PM

I leave mine in the crockpot for about 5 minutes, until it stops bubbling. I just use plain old Gulf Wax and it’s smooth and quiet (and best of all, no marks on fingers, leg, car, child, cat, etc). No idea if the 45 minutes you mention has an impact. Is the quick link properly seated and locked? FWIW, my chains are all KMC, in 9, 10, and 11 speed and they all run silent with wax.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:24 AM

I'll bet the "roughness" is due to the wax filling in the gaps between the rollers and the links, and between the pins and the links. It changes the apparent wear of the chain as it relates to how the chain fits over the gears, as if they are mismatched.

I'll bet as the wax works its way out of the spaces, the roughness will disappear, but so will the lubrication...
Old 08-25-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
So I did my first attempt at waxing, used a crock pot, ultrasonic cleaned chain, molten speed wax, etc.
Wax got nice and hot/liquid, let the chain soak for 45 minutes in it stirring it around every so often, then removed and hung dry.
I re-installed it (wipperman w/master link), and with the bike in the work stand I spun the cranks backwards fast for several minutes, then forward shifting gears for a few minutes.
But for some reason the chain runs very very rough. Does it take more than that to work it in? I removed the chain and put on my kmc chain with regular chain oil, smooth as silk....
I had a similar experience to you. I did the whole waxing process and was not impressed with the result. I kept the chain on the bike for two rides and the whole time it felt like I had thick heavy mud on the chain - it would not run smooth. I chatted with the guys at MSW and did everything they suggested to the letter.

I abandoned it and went back to a wet lube and have been satisfied ever since.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:27 AM

Thats odd that it wouldn't work in. I followed moltens instructions closely as well. Will be taking for a short spin soon to see if it loosens up, will report back...
Old 08-25-2018, 06:33 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Thats odd that it wouldn't work in. I followed moltens instructions closely as well. Will be taking for a short spin soon to see if it loosens up, will report back...
It will loosen up. I use Molten and have never had any issue with it. Love the stuff.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
It will loosen up. I use Molten and have never had any issue with it. Love the stuff.
Yep, OK, hopefully much ado about nothing, just took it out for a 15 minute spin including some good uphill efforts, feeling much smoother now.

I have the powder as well, gotta pick up a brush today and apply some as final prep for a duathlon tomorrow morning.

Cheers
Old 08-25-2018, 07:18 AM
PegoNagos

About 15 minutes of spinning on the bike and it should be smooth like butter, but I don't think that 45 minutes is enough time to really get the was "in there" properly. You will need to rewax the chain sooner than if properly waxed. The first time I waxed I didn't have the chain in the wax very long and after a couple hundred miles the was had worn off (the chain had gotten noisy).

When Jason at Friction Facts made the instructions for his wax chain recipe public (before he sold the company to CeramicSpeed) his recommendation was to actually heat the chain in the oven prior to getting it in the wax. I tried to do this once and my wife saw me put the chain in the oven and she lost it on me. So no chain in the oven. I think that the theory is that the chain needs time to get to the same temperature as the hot wax so that the wax can get all up in the chain's business.

For me waxing is a day long process. In the morning I turn on the crockpot of wax (additives already mixed in per the Friction Facts recipe), then I clean the chain with a couple of vigorous baths in mineral spirits. Once the wax is melted the chain (well, chains - I usually do a couple at a time) goes in and stays in there for at least 4 hours. I flip the chain and stir the wax about every 30-45 minutes.

When I hang the chain(s) to dry they dry very stiff - each half of the chain can be held straight out like a sword. After the warm-up portion of the first ride it's like butter.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:43 AM

When I did it the second time, I accelerated the melting process with a heat gun, including pointing it at the chain a little bit, she was nice and warm, then left it all for 45 minutes with occasional stirring.

I don't think the wax treatment is supposed to last more than 200km anyway, correct?
Old 08-25-2018, 07:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
About 15 minutes of spinning on the bike and it should be smooth like butter, but I don't think that 45 minutes is enough time to really get the was "in there" properly. You will need to rewax the chain sooner than if properly waxed. The first time I waxed I didn't have the chain in the wax very long and after a couple hundred miles the was had worn off (the chain had gotten noisy).

When Jason at Friction Facts made the instructions for his wax chain recipe public (before he sold the company to CeramicSpeed) his recommendation was to actually heat the chain in the oven prior to getting it in the wax. I tried to do this once and my wife saw me put the chain in the oven and she lost it on me. So no chain in the oven. I think that the theory is that the chain needs time to get to the same temperature as the hot wax so that the wax can get all up in the chain's business.

For me waxing is a day long process. In the morning I turn on the crockpot of wax (additives already mixed in per the Friction Facts recipe), then I clean the chain with a couple of vigorous baths in mineral spirits. Once the wax is melted the chain (well, chains - I usually do a couple at a time) goes in and stays in there for at least 4 hours. I flip the chain and stir the wax about every 30-45 minutes.

When I hang the chain(s) to dry they dry very stiff - each half of the chain can be held straight out like a sword. After the warm-up portion of the first ride it's like butter.
Really? Subjectively, is this 'chore' 'worth' any added performance or durability gains?
Old 08-25-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Really? Subjectively, is this 'chore' 'worth' any added performance or durability gains?
To me its more of a race day experiment, more than anything because I like tinkering. Not something I'd personally bother with for a daily ride. I still like Rock N Roll gold quite a bit.