Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Dog trailer

Anyone have any experience with pulling a dog trailer? If so any recommendations/reviews?

Building up a beater canti bike cross I'm going to ride on some rail trails and bike paths (which there are a good amount of by me). Would love to attach a dog trailer here and there. I bring my pup on some mountain bike rides and hikes and I think she'd like getting to at least ride along on some of my other fart around rides. Any input would be appreciated. FWIW she's 40 lbs or so, too big for one of those backpack things but plenty small to pull around
Old 12-09-2018, 09:15 AM

https://cycletote.com/trailers/dog-trailers/
Old 12-09-2018, 09:37 AM

I converted an old Burley into a dog trailer several years ago by cutting a piece of plywood to fit the floor and placing a bed or pillow on it for the dog to sit or stand on. I rigged up a harness system to make sure our dog stays in the trailer and can't get intangled in the spokes. The dog shown in the picture is a lightweight but I've hauled two larger dogs without problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_20170910_135320632_hdr.jpg (131.8 KB, 161 views)
Old 12-09-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I converted an old Burley into a dog trailer several years ago by cutting a piece of plywood to fit the floor and placing a bed or pillow on it for the dog to sit or stand on. I rigged up a harness system to make sure our dog stays in the trailer and can't get intangled in the spokes. The dog shown in the picture is a lightweight but I've hauled two larger dogs without problems.
This was my other suggestion. I did it years ago as well.

The bigger wheels of the Cycletote provide a much smoother ride and a bit less tippy on corners.

Still a great option!
Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 AM

We bought a Burly Tailwagon for our miniature schnauzer(s) about 10 years ago and it's been super functional if not used all the time. Even with two of them in it (40ish pounds combined) its not bad to pull around. Burly added off-road tire options but I'm not sure they make them for the old version I have. I've had it hooked up to pretty much every QR bike I've had and works well on on all of them if the dropout accepted the adapter.

Our dogs have been everywhere from river trails in MN to the Mickelson Trail up to Crazy Horse in the black hills. My wife loves it because she ends up being the faster one when I've got them hooked up.

Last edited by commonguy001; 12-09-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:07 AM
underachiever

I did quite a bit of research earlier this year to purchase a dog trailer and ended up getting a Burley Tail Wagon. We have an 11 pound chihuahua/Australian cattle dog mix and the trailer is really great. We were a bit apprehensive that our pooch wouldn't like it so we bought it at REI. Thankfully, she loves it. We spent a couple weeks in Provincetown this past summer and it was really nice to have her come along pretty much wherever we went. We also bought a comfy dog bed and would recommend one for whatever unit you get. One of the features that sold me on this is the unit is completely collapsible and it folds flat, perfect when loading it in the car. Anyway, it's worked out quite well and would certainly recommend it.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 AM

I did the cheap kid trailer on Craigslist plus plywood thing because I wasn't sure my dog would like it so I wanted a minimal investment. I'm glad I did because she hated it. I'm sure with time I could train her to ride in it because she's very trainable, but I haven't done so yet.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:52 AM

I have the Solvit Houndabout trailer. They come in red (small) and blue (large). Got it from a pet store. Has openings in the back, front and top.

I've seen the Croozer brand in bike shops which run a bit smaller.

They both have a rigid bottom unlike some of the kid trailers.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:51 AM

Bumping this up to see if anyone else has any new experiences to add. I’m currently shopping around for a trailer to haul a small dog. Almost settled on the Burley Tail Wagon, but open to other options. Liked the idea of the BOB Ibex trailer which has suspension but surprisingly they don’t offer any thru axle compatible attachments.

Anyone else have something they have had good experiences with?
Old 05-26-2021, 10:29 AM

I've considered building one of these DIY ones from Wilke.

https://wicycle.com/products/bike-tr...s-bike-trailer

I have a larger dog and I'm worried the confinement of an enclosed trailer might be a little much.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:22 PM

How small is small?
Small enough for one of these?
https://www.k9sportsack.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
Bumping this up to see if anyone else has any new experiences to add. I’m currently shopping around for a trailer to haul a small dog. Almost settled on the Burley Tail Wagon, but open to other options. Liked the idea of the BOB Ibex trailer which has suspension but surprisingly they don’t offer any thru axle compatible attachments.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
How small is small?
Small enough for one of these?
https://www.k9sportsack.com/
Funny you mention that. I actually picked up one of those (the Plus 2) for some longer hikes when the mini-schnauzer decides he is done walking. Haven’t tried it out yet, though, except for a quick fit check. I’m not convinced he is going to be excited about it for long periods.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post

Robert Axle Project makes the BOB Ibex Thru axle.

https://robertaxleproject.com/bob-tr...RoClXMQAvD_BwE
Old 05-26-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Robert Axle Project makes the BOB Ibex Thru axle.

https://robertaxleproject.com/bob-tr...RoClXMQAvD_BwE
That’s great! I didn’t know, so thanks for the info. Might have to give that one a bit more thought. The suspension and narrow frame of the Ibex is appealing to me. Not sure how the pup will like the open frame vs something like the Burley tail wagon... but only one way to find that out.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:57 PM

I had this at one point but it was outgrown quickly. Had the dome wire cover too.
https://www.basil.com/en/pasja-anima...0cm-brown.html

At one point I even considered getting that rear cargo bike extention thingy and setting up a larger crate thing to attach on top.

Tags
dog