Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 08:42 AM

QBP pays lip service to the whole storefront thing, ignores where conveinient. Lancaster PA has a QBP warehouse and a few places that have popped up nearby with a 200 square foot token "storefront". Problem is, QBP has no boots on the ground, all their interaction has been thru their website or over the phone. They don't work hard to develop relationships, but they have a great B2B site and always have stuff in stock. There aren't a lot of options currently. J and B, Hawley etc have all gon off the back

As far as buying from Q, think buying catfood at the 7-11, it's more expensive but you can get it at 2am. Example: You can get Osprey packs cheaper if you plan ahead and get it direct. If you're stocking Osprey packs by ordering from QBP...you're done. The BRAIN letter writer has discovered something very important about staying in biz with an LBS. Nothing I actually stock comes from QBP, I use them for just-in-time repair parts and walk-ins that just gotta have something. If I order it by 7pm I get it by around noon the next day. Relationship builder

I will argue that QBP is in a stronger financial position that anyone else in the US bike market...but that's relative, as they might be 2 flat tires away from bankrupcty. The bar is pretty low

Interesting side note, it scares me that QBP and Interbike provide(d) Bike Business 101 type classes and seminars. Many LBS's are their own worst enemies, has nothing to do with brands, internet or customers coming in the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Just happened to a friend of mine, cancelled his account because he was 'non traditional'...except Velonews still has an account as does some other manufacturers who sell stuff via QBP. This lack of recognition of those who actually support and try to further the sport is troubling. All the while they sell to places like PlanetCyelry who is a YUGE discounter..and I suspect owned somehow by QBP..same for a rather large MO outfit up close to the QBP mothership in Minnesota..

BUT QBP IS 'changing', and trying the european 'distributor selling to bikes shops and consumers' model, like Ribble, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if QBP formerly becomes a MO outfit..
Old 12-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
QBP pays lip service to the whole storefront thing, ignores where conveinient. Lancaster PA has a QBP warehouse and a few places that have popped up nearby with a 200 square foot token "storefront". Problem is, QBP has no boots on the ground, all their interaction has been thru their website or over the phone. They don't work hard to develop relationships, but they have a great B2B site and always have stuff in stock. There aren't a lot of options currently. J and B, Hawley etc have all gon off the back

As far as buying from Q, think buying catfood at the 7-11, it's more expensive but you can get it at 2am. Example: You can get Osprey packs cheaper if you plan ahead and get it direct. If you're stocking Osprey packs by ordering from QBP...you're done. The BRAIN letter writer has discovered something very important about staying in biz with an LBS. Nothing I actually stock comes from QBP, I use them for just-in-time repair parts and walk-ins that just gotta have something. If I order it by 7pm I get it by around noon the next day. Relationship builder

I will argue that QBP is in a stronger financial position that anyone else in the US bike market...but that's relative, as they might be 2 flat tires away from bankrupcty. The bar is pretty low

Interesting side note, it scares me that QBP and Interbike provide(d) Bike Business 101 type classes and seminars. Many LBS's are their own worst enemies, has nothing to do with brands, internet or customers coming in the door
I don't think they care about that. They know who they are going into business with(Planet Cyclery). Problem is cancelling accounts for no reason, particularly those small ones that are really good for cycling but aren't the standard store front, LBS. PLUS a LOT of LBS are becoming 'factory' stores, either formerly or de facto and most of their 'stuff' comes from the trekspecializedgiantcannondale 'mothership', not from QBP..
Old 12-08-2018, 11:49 AM
UN-Registered® User!

Here's another interesting viewpoint

Now this is something worth a try for some businesses:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/opin...ycle-retailing
Old 12-08-2018, 07:25 PM

The Author of that particular opinion piece is an Idiot

Those goofy wheels in his profile pic...the horror

Quickest route to bankruptcy is to buy full in with a company like Specialized, you have to make them keep their distance or they will run you like a drunken prom date. The LBS is not a partner...you are but a rube in their eyes. Stock what works for you and forget all the other SKUs. If Specialized had their way, they would load you up with inventory when you don't need it (November), bill you for it when you're just coming out of winter and just barely starting to move it (March/April => weather dependent) and put it on sale May 1. Don't worry, they'll e-blast the price drop to everyone and all the desirable stuff on the floor will be 20% off. Their model is based on what some halfwit in California with an MBA came up with after a session Tony Robbins. Buyer beware, vision is key, look out for yourself. That said, they have great product that sells...I just don't want to feel like I'm laundering cash so be careful what/when you stock things

You can make money as a LBS, but you have to be super patient and read the room. Listen to your customer and utilize (all) your resources. Going to a single vendor is short sighted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avispa View Post
Now this is something worth a try for some businesses:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/opin...ycle-retailing
Old 12-08-2018, 08:30 PM
UN-Registered® User!

Quote:

Quickest route to bankruptcy is to buy full in with a company like Specialized, you have to make them keep their distance or they will run you like a drunken prom date. The LBS is not a partner...you are but a rube in their eyes. Stock what works for you and forget all the other SKUs. If Specialized had their way, they would load you up with inventory when you don't need it (November), bill you for it when you're just coming out of winter and just barely starting to move it (March/April => weather dependent) and put it on sale May 1. Don't worry, they'll e-blast the price drop to everyone and all the desirable stuff on the floor will be 20% off. Their model is based on what some halfwit in California with an MBA came up with after a session Tony Robbins. Buyer beware, vision is key, look out for yourself. That said, they have great product that sells...I just don't want to feel like I'm laundering cash so be careful what/when you stock things

You can make money as a LBS, but you have to be super patient and read the room. Listen to your customer and utilize (all) your resources. Going to a single vendor is short sighted
Thanks for the clarification! Glad we can share information here openly.

Cheers
Old 12-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Am kinda lost on the QBP dialogue.

Are they the big middle man who buys a ton of stuff from suppliers/manufacturers direct (i.e., they own it, mark it up a little then sell to retailers), or are they in turn just passing through product in near real time (i.e., they too are just a middle man)? Or are they a little of both?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:00 PM

QBP is is but a middleman, source of parts and accessories for dealers. Always been good

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Am kinda lost on the QBP dialogue.

Are they the big middle man who buys a ton of stuff from suppliers/manufacturers direct (i.e., they own it, mark it up a little then sell to retailers), or are they in turn just passing through product in near real time (i.e., they too are just a middle man)? Or are they a little of both?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:03 PM

do they take title to product, e.g. do they buy 10,000 sets of conti tires from the mfgr. and in turn sell 'em to the lbs at whatever the wholesale price is?

Quote:
QBP is is but a middleman, source of parts and accessories for dealers. Always been good
Old 12-09-2018, 07:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Wow, so many great parts of this post..well done, from somebody who is in the trenches and 'gets' it'.... 'Read the room', Know your customer, your market..well done.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-09-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
do they take title to product, e.g. do they buy 10,000 sets of conti tires from the mfgr. and in turn sell 'em to the lbs at whatever the wholesale price is?
Correct, a bike part distributor who's 'customer' is supposed to be local bike shops, Independent Bike Shops, who have a real store front and real customers who walk in and buy stuff..but that is changing..PlanetCyclrey..as an example. YES PC has a 'store front' but 95% of their sales are MO..deeply discounted(unless they are 'owned' by QBP, which I suspect)..
Old 12-09-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Local people are not supporting local dealers.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Its not just QPB. Try to sell Shimano stuff in the states if you're not an oem. First, its available cheaper than wholesale via the euronet shops. Second, they're warranty support is a gigantic exercise in supplication.

The big T/S model is exactly as stated above-load up the cart, the mule is blind. And once the retailer is indebted enough, if they're large you acquire them.
I know a nice guy who's allowed a Scott rep to do his initial order while he transitioned from his ft job to running his shop ft, and the guy almost bankrupted him by having one of each high end bike in the shop.

And no, my experience is that you don't sell any 12k Treks-anyone in that market is likely to want their own spec. If you have a "lux" custom brand (it was Seven for the shop where I was) you'll sell a couple of those at 10k annually, but not the mass brands.