Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Good choice.

I picked up a Weigle frameset from a forum member a little over a year ago.

Spent this last winter on the build.

So far, I love it.

FWIW My wife has a MAP and I was a little jealous. Mitch wasn't building at the time, so I went with the Weigle.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:13 PM

For me it would be one of Dazza's Lucentezza frames and NOS silver components (maybe Campy just for something different).
Old 06-11-2019, 05:13 PM

I was lucky enough this winter to find my dream bike thanks to this forum (deal from across the hall). I didn't know it was my dream bike until I got it outside. All winter, I rode it on my Kicker thinking the size wasn't quite right - I fiddled with the seat and seat post, even swapped out the fork. It turns out the bike is perfect. Fits perfectly, rides perfect: it's fast and comfortable, aero and compliant.

It's a Argonaut road disc, built up for a manager at Enve for the 2017 NHBS and tricked out with all the latest buzz words: Enve 3.4 discs with King hubs, the newest Dura Ace and Ultegra/Stages Di2 mix (love the new smaller hydro Di2 levers!), Enve everything (of course), King headset and bottom bracket, etc. So great.

I just completed my 2nd annual 200 on 100 on it. No issues at all. Rode perfectly. I did a fast paced group ride last week where I set a bunch of PR's, including a hill I've probably ridden up 1,000 times. It's such a great bike!

I'm so thankful for this forum and for the community it provides. I've gotten to ride/own some really great bikes that I could never afford new thanks to you guys. Thanks! And - if you ever get the chance to ride an Argonaut, I highly recommend it!
Old 06-11-2019, 05:14 PM

+1 on Peg Luigino (alas, a thing of the past...), and I wouldn't mind trying a Crumpton All-Road.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I'm not sure if I could pick one....the finalists would be:

Hetchins Magnum Opus with vibrant stays
Lino Messori
Confente
Pegoretti Luigino

For something currently being built....Ulrich Vogel
Old 06-11-2019, 05:54 PM

Dream

I mostly have the bikes I would want if cost were no object-

What I do have is the time to ride them- That is worth more to me than any fancy bike.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:55 PM

Weigle. 650b and we'd work out the finer points when the time came but by the time the time came I'd probably need a three wheeler. Daylights burning and I'm running out of it. So I'll be happy with what I have.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:14 PM
formerly Landshark_98

at a certain point there are so many that are so good that you are really swapping one great experience for another, but if price was no object, maybe I'd commission Ernesto or the Pinarello family to do a custom carbon road bike using all their technology but with more traditional lines, something alone the lines of the best updated C50 style bike that any Italian builder could make. It would ride more like a Colnago than a Pina. Maybe that's a Gaulzetti.....
Old 06-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Anything built by Charlie Cunningham.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridah View Post
Quite happy with my C60 so no others for me.

Now cars, that's a different story.
On both
SN# HC-54-265
Old 06-11-2019, 07:10 PM

Great thread! First I did not win the lottery, but when I turned 50 I decided to treat myself to my dream bike. I spent quite a bit of time thinking about what I want from a bike and the more time I spent thinking about it the more I realised that I prefer classic lines, mechanical groupsets, rim brakes, robust materials, and beautiful paint. I love the idea of supporting a local craftsmen over a big brand off the shelf bike so I started looking around Australia where I am and I decided on a Baum. My first instinct was to go with a Ti frame but after a few discussions I was convinced that a steel frame would actually provide me with the ride characteristics that I was requesting. I made a trip (combining it with a holiday) for a very thorough bike fit and analysis of my riding style to decide on the geometry and tubing set and pick colors, what a great day that was, so much fun. I enjoyed hanging out at the factory, getting to meet many of the staff including Darren himself, checked out all of the old school tooling they use, gazed wide eyed at the shelves and racks of tubing they keep in house to choose from. It was sensory overload, good thing they had plenty of coffee to offer! I originally was going to get Record 12 speed bit I couldn't get used to the thumb shifter so I will stick with Ultegra 8000. I really think the quality of shifting is fantastic with both when setup correctly and the main difference is the ergonomics. I went with Enve seatpost and bars, 3t stem (-17 deg), Hed Belgium tubular rims, Chris King hubs / BB /HS all in polished silver.

Now my order is in for a Baum Ristretto and I will patiently wait.

And a bit of eye candy, not mine, just an example of the work they do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlkBaum.jpg (52.1 KB, 460 views)

Last edited by gibbo; 06-11-2019 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Pic added
Old 06-11-2019, 07:23 PM

That’s easy. A KTM 690 Enduro R. $11,669 brings it home. Plus I would throw in about $4-5,000 more in taxes, accessories, and matching kit... Until then I am happy looking for that perfect Serotta fade CSI!
Old 06-11-2019, 07:24 PM
aka RAEKWON

I know this might sound like I am full of S$%# but for the first time in a long time I am just really happy with all of my bikes so could stop here for a long time but that is not the point of the thread so if I could get a bike, price no object would be actually 2

1- Yamaguchi road

and/or

2- Rob English travel gravel bike
Old 06-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Registered (ab)User

I'll be honest, it feels a bit arrogant to post in a "Dream Bike" thread when I already own a Richard Sachs Signature road bike w/ Campy Record and a Carl Strong TIG-welded S&S-coupled eTap-equipped road bike

...but why should that stop me from dreaming?

Yes, a Crumpton is absolutely next on my list. Either an SL road bike or maybe a Type 5 all-road/disc. Or maybe both, what the hell...

Would also someday love to get a raw Ti version of the coupled Strong. Probably by Strong, 'cuz he already knocked it out of the ballpark, but if not him, then a Hampsten, or a Firefly, or an Ericksen, or a Moots, or...

And call me crazy, but I really want a Velokraft NoCom:

Old 06-11-2019, 08:04 PM

Yes: the Della Santa for which I had been in the queue for several years (the delay entirely at my own doing, nothing to do with Roland). Unfortunately i took my own sweet time in getting him the basic fit info. He was always cool about it, said give a shout whenever I'm ready. I was getting ready to proceed this summer, finally.

Now, sadly, that is not an option with his passing. I would prefer that bike frame over any frame, at any price, regardless of resources. Hands down and without question.

Reason is an emotional connection with the timing of the initial order, which marked a particularly important point of time in life.

And so the world keeps turnin'....

Last edited by 54ny77; 06-11-2019 at 08:32 PM.