Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 PM

Please help with value of a Serotta

Some of you may have seen my bike in the classified thread I started, but I am struggling to evaluate the value.

Many have said I would be better off selling the group separate from the frame and fork. I'm wondering what I should ask for the frame / fork, and how much is a fair price for the group?

I know that I could put this stuff on eBay to see what the market will pay, yielding the value, but I'd rather get someone from the forum on this bike.

Let me know your thoughts.

Aaron
Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Epic=No Smiles

You're giving it away at $950. Sit tight and wait for a 5'10" Mavic fan.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Sell the Mavic group separately.

The frame/fork is maybe about $440. The rest is worth more because it is quite rare. Odds are a real collector would buy complete and dump the frameset.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 PM

It's a beautiful bike that's right in the middle of the bell curve size wise. what the others have said about sitting on it just a bit makes sense. If I hadn't picked up some of the stuff I have over the last year I would be all over it with You being just about 2 hrs away. It's my size and I've always liked the color combo on the Colorado frames. The Mavic group really is the icing on the cake.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Two wheels good

Yeah, $950 is a nice deal for someone. I'd say wait for the right buyer also. It's the wrong size for me and I've never been a fan of that color combo but the frame is in great shape and the parts are very cool. Different color, different size I'd be psyched to ride it for less than a grand.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 PM

Sometimes things just don't sell.

I was trying to sell a Colnago on here a couple years ago and had down to 850 shipped or something like that and it didnt sell.

56cm, super record group and all.

Put it on eBay and got almost 1200.

Id just put it on eBay.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 PM
cmg

yep, same experience tried to sell a Cinelli supercorsa and Colnago masterlight both wound up on eBay selling without a problem. sometimes it does but when it doesn't sell it on eBay.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 PM

All I can say is it's just too small for me. Otherwise I'd love to have it. Looks like a very late CII (webbed chainstay bridge), classic Serotta paint, and unusual group. Sit on it until I decide it's worth having just to look at.

Uh, what are you looking to trade for?

Last edited by oliver1850; 05-15-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 PM

thanks all for the advice... I am going to post it on the local CL to check interest, and possibly test ebay with a reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
All I can say is it's just too small for me. Otherwise I'd love to have it. Looks like a very late CII (webbed chainstay bridge), classic Serotta paint, and unusual group. Sit on it until I decide it's worth having just to look at.

Uh, what are you looking to trade for?
I may be interested in a similar Serotta in my size (~59cm square)... What I really would like is something Ti with a 1 1/8 head tube... or a steel cyclocross frame set... I know you have a HUGE stash. Have anything that like that?

Aaron
Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 PM
cmg

it's priced right on your ad. the audience is small on the forum. the frame is in great shape. Better to sell it on eBay. Do a 10 day run, in both the vintage and regular bikes sections with either a buy it now price of $950 or a starting price less than $850 and see what happens. talk up the condition of the frame.