Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 08:38 AM

Never seen extra wide in any online or store ever, so i suspect those are pretty much available through lake. The issue is that from what ive read, it can be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Anyone tried lakes in both their 'wide' and 'extra wide' widths? Much difference, and/or can someone compare to other shoes?
Thx!
Old 11-18-2019, 09:03 AM

I used to be a Sidi fan now Im hooked on Lake 402' they are the bees knees
Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 AM

IME and after zillions of years trying to find the right shoe because my heels now that im fat are kind'a wide but at the same time are high as well, which create a problem with the heel retention.

Based in that ive noticed the problem I was having was that insoles (any brand but solestar) since they have a cup for the heel, they were moving the whole foot to the front leaving my heel off the heel cup with the subsequent/ial? (sp) problem of heels not in place or not secured in the shoe heel cup.

Solestar insoles pretty much doesnt have a heel, once I put those in the heel fit felt waaaaayyy much better.

You can try this, try the shoe w/o the insole and tight the straps or whatever the shoe has, if the heel is in the right place eventhought now the shoe feels lose all over the place, then the insole heel area is the problem. I did tests making insoles out of old snickers insoles, then realized that the insole heel was the issue, that's why I went Solestar.

There's another insole that nobody talked about, it is made for ice hockey shoes, the bauer speedplate, which i do not see why coudlnt be used for cycling. Design is very similar to solestar and now that im looking they developed the second generation of the insoles which add foam for comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Another thanks for clarifying. That gives me another option to consider down the road, with the heel fit adjustment.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:08 PM

I'd have a look at the S-Works road shoe. You might want to compare a couple of years' models in case there's slight differences in the front width.

Wearing the old standard-width S-Works mtb 6, which should be the same? shape as the old road 6 equivalent. Rather narrow heel, with round (important to me) and fairly wide front.

When hunting for a shoe I compared these to the standard width higher-end Lake road models at the time. Found the Lake models with the 'race' last were a bit narrower in the mid-foot and front than the S-Works.

Haven't tried Bonts but thought I read they are best for normal to higher arches?

The mid-range Lake, while nice and roomy/wide at the front, the heels were too sloppy.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I'd have a look at the S-Works road shoe. You might want to compare a couple of years' models in case there's slight differences in the front width.

Wearing the old standard-width S-Works mtb 6, which should be the same? shape as the old road 6 equivalent. Rather narrow heel, with round (important to me) and fairly wide front.

When hunting for a shoe I compared these to the standard width higher-end Lake road models at the time. Found the Lake models with the 'race' last were a bit narrower in the mid-foot and front than the S-Works.

Haven't tried Bonts but thought I read they are best for normal to higher arches?

The mid-range Lake, while nice and roomy/wide at the front, the heels were too sloppy.
I tried the S Works 6 road shoe about 18 months ago, it's really an amazing shoe, however, they ate my heels. Too stiff. I did like toe box, nice and roomy.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Anyone tried lakes in both their 'wide' and 'extra wide' widths? Much difference, and/or can someone compare to other shoes?
Thx!
You may already know this, but Lake has a size chart where they list the last length and last width. Only their race lasts are available in wide and extra wide. It looks like generally, wide is 10mm wider than standard. Extra wide may only be about 2.5mm wider than wide. So, on paper, no huge difference between wide and extra wide. I haven't tried them myself, however.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:26 PM

try custom insoles? I know some custom companies that make cycling insoles such as Footmaxx
Old 11-24-2019, 06:33 PM

I ended up ordering a pair of Lake CX241's. Lake's fitting chart is very helpful, whereas Sidi doesn't have a useful one.

My Sidi Wire's are a 45.5. I ordered the Lake's in a 44.5 based on averaging three foot tracings.

I would have rather ordered the CX402, but was concerned the race last would be essentially the same a my Sidi's. Kangaroo leather, Speedplay four bolt, and beautiful aesthetics are intriguing, but the hope of reduced pain wins out. The CX241 last appears to be exactly what I need with an additional 3mm of width vs my trace. With the Morton's neuroma, a millimeter can make a big difference.

I am very impressed with the information Lake provides and hope the shoes work out.

I should have them in a week or two from Salt Dog in the UK. Only $265.00 shipped.

Oddly, my foot doesn't hurt when cycling as it's fixed. The issue is work and athletic shoes. Barefoot and flip-flops my foot feels great as the foot can spread out.

Thanks to everyone for the help! I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Hellgate; 11-24-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Lake

I agree with the recommendation

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll give them a try. Interestingly Solestar recommends the Lake CX 237 for people needing a wider forefoot.

Bont would also be a good recommendation

Best

Ray
Old 12-13-2019, 05:16 PM

First off, thank you all for the help and recommendations. The Lake CX241s are perfect! The second I put them on my feet were happy. Tomorrow I'll break them in on a proper ride.

Over the last few weeks I've changed my work and athletic shoes and my foot is doing much better.

I got lucky and met a shoe fitter who has neuromas too. She was extremely helpful. I ended up with Ecco Oxfords for work, and On shoes for casual and sports. The Ons are amazing shoes. I also discovered compression socks were contributing to my problem too.

The change hasn't been cheap, but my feet are much better.

All that said, I'm still pursuing a medical solution and had an MRI today to pinpoint the issue. My Dr suspects a second neuroma in the same foot. The MRI will help rule that out potentially.