Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 05:33 PM

Gaulzetti Pavaix. It's every bit the bike my Time VXR was.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:12 PM

The frame is a medium. Saddle to axle is just under 70cm. If I were racing, I'd ride a small and use a 120 or 130 stem.

I'll occasionally get on my wife's 585, which is a small, and it fits just fine. Otoh, I like the longer head tube and the less aggressive posture that the medium affords me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstloup View Post
That looks sweet. Questions please. What size frame is it. And what is your axle to top of saddle measure. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:24 PM

How does the weight of the Magia Rose compare to the 585? I like the fact that my medium 585 - without exotic components - comes in under 15lbs, and that's including pedals and bottle cages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
When my 585 was stolen, I looked around at several bikes, but ended up getting a carbon Maglia Rosa from Steve Hampsten. I asked Steve to replicate the Look's geometry with the contact points on a bike he'd made for me previously. And viola, for a price that was very competitive with comparable framesets from Trek, Felt, or Specialized, I got a custom carbon, tube-to-tube constructed, beautiful and great riding frame.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
When my 585 was stolen, I looked around at several bikes, but ended up getting a carbon Maglia Rosa from Steve Hampsten. ...
If my 585 was stolen, and I wanted to get another plastic bike, I would probably have to go used Colnago, or if new I would have to go custom because I would have to have horizontal top tube and rim brakes. Parlee looks like they could fill the bill with a custom. Most likely, I would just get another Ti bike.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
If my 585 was stolen, and I wanted to get another plastic bike, I would probably have to go used Colnago, or if new I would have to go custom because I would have to have horizontal top tube and rim brakes. Parlee looks like they could fill the bill with a custom. Most likely, I would just get another Ti bike.
I think all Hampstens are customs and he posts here and ATH.

When I feel like replacing the Look(s) it’s possible a Hampsten is the choice. That seems very, very reasonable given the pedigree of the brands and the riders who rode Looks, including Andy Hampsten himself.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:43 PM

Not that some would care, but others might: I thought the initial question here related to lugged carbon frames specifically?

Is that Pavaix frame lugged? It seems the Hampsten is a (generic?) Columbus tube-to-tube kit?

The Colnago C64 is no longer available new with a horizontal top tube at all, but the Holland, Parlee, Calfee, and IF Corvid are. I guess there are a few other lugged carbon producers still around.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
Not that some would care, but others might: I thought the initial question here related to lugged carbon frames specifically?

Is that Pavaix frame lugged? It seems the Hampsten is a (generic?) Columbus tube-to-tube kit?

The Colnago C64 is no longer available new with a horizontal top tube at all, but the Holland, Parlee, Calfee, and IF Corvid are. I guess there are a few other lugged carbon producers still around.
Pavaixs are internally lugged, hence the ability to do custom geo.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Pavaixs are internally lugged, hence the ability to do custom geo.
I see. So also tube-to-tube then, like the Hampsten, Crumpton, etc.

The external lugged frames listed previously can all also be ordered in custom geometry afaik.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel23 View Post
The frame is a medium. Saddle to axle is just under 70cm. If I were racing, I'd ride a small and use a 120 or 130 stem.

I'll occasionally get on my wife's 585, which is a small, and it fits just fine. Otoh, I like the longer head tube and the less aggressive posture that the medium affords me.
Thanks axel23. Gives me a good idea about my own position and what is possible. My saddle height 72.5, and i generally have a bit more drop, at least by looks of it, to the bars...
Old 07-03-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel23 View Post
How does the weight of the Magia Rose compare to the 585? I like the fact that my medium 585 - without exotic components - comes in under 15lbs, and that's including pedals and bottle cages.
MY 585 was an XL. IIRC, with pedals, cages, Chorus 11 and some 1,450 gm wheels it weighed just under 17 pounds. The Maglia Rosa with a mix of Recors and Super Record parts and similar weight wheels is just a tad over 17 pounds.

Neither bike felt heavy when when pedaling.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post

Just my 2cents

I know what your asking & yes I think external lugged tubed like this 585 has a certain liveliness that is not reproduced with internal lugs being stiffer

That aside......I will also say I think the Look 585 was just plain special period.

The way their tubes were done, sized/shaped etc was just intentionally or not ....perfect

Look for what ever reason really hit a home run with the 585 why they don't just re-release it is beyond me. ( I think it was quite labor intense)

I once went & wrote the US Distributor a few years ago when we had this same discussion on another forum. The guy agreed & said he would even forward the message to Look Headquarters & point out the discussion on that forum

Well as we know nothing came of it.

Last edited by flying; 07-03-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Just my 2cents
I agree completely, all points.

Colnago C40, Colnago C50, Look 585 are probably the 3 most universally beloved, respected, and legendary lugged carbon frames ever.

I ride an Extreme-Power, which is perfect for me, but that model does not quite approach the iconic status of those other 3 I think. Either way, lugged (meaning: external lugs) carbon is special.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:30 PM

When I bought my Hampsten, Steve said he had collaborated with Crumpton on the carbon Maglia Rosas. I met the fabricator, Peter Graham, formerly of Mad Fiber Wheels and saw how he builds frames. Tubesets from Enve are mitered, placed in a jig, and tacked together with an adhesive. Once alignment is confirmed, the joints are painstakingly wrapped in (hundreds) of small pieces of carbon fiber. Once everything is wrapped, the whole thing goes into an oven for baking. This might not be a completely accurate description of the process and may have changed since my bike was built three years ago.
This is a very sublime riding bicycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1190.jpg (93.4 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1199.jpg (116.6 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1194.jpg (77.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1200.jpg (70.9 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1226.jpg (92.1 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg P6210460.jpg (69.4 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5692.jpg (54.6 KB, 250 views)
Old 07-03-2020, 02:11 PM

Anyone riding a 675?

Just sold my 586 and I am hankering for another Look and the 675 really looks great....on paper and in appearance.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
When I bought my Hampsten, Steve said he had collaborated with Crumpton on the carbon Maglia Rosas. I met the fabricator, Peter Graham, formerly of Mad Fiber Wheels and saw how he builds frames. Tubesets from Enve are mitered, placed in a jig, and tacked together with an adhesive. Once alignment is confirmed, the joints are painstakingly wrapped in (hundreds) of small pieces of carbon fiber. Once everything is wrapped, the whole thing goes into an oven for baking. This might not be a completely accurate description of the process and may have changed since my bike was built three years ago.
This is a very sublime riding bicycle.
Looks gorgeous and smooth. Good luck with it.