Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Vendor

Running too long of a chain

I want to use the Ultegra cassette with a 32T max cog with a DA9100 RD and 34/50 compact. Yes, I know the RD is rated a 30T max. I'm generally pretty careful about not cross-chaining into big/big and small/small. Still, I'd like to make sure that if I accidentally go big/big that the RD doesn't rip out. In order to do that I had to size the chain so that it's slightly too long. It sags in the small/small, but I can go big/big without the RD looking like it's going to explode (too much). Also, the upper pulley clears the 32T. The only problem I can see is that maybe I get some chain slap or there's a higher likelihood of the chain bouncing off if I accidentally go small/small. Is there anything else?
Old 07-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I want to use the Ultegra cassette with a 32T max cog with a DA9100 RD and 34/50 compact. Yes, I know the RD is rated a 30T max. I'm generally pretty careful about not cross-chaining into big/big and small/small. Still, I'd like to make sure that if I accidentally go big/big that the RD doesn't rip out. In order to do that I had to size the chain so that it's slightly too long. It sags in the small/small, but I can go big/big without the RD looking like it's going to explode (too much). Also, the upper pulley clears the 32T. The only problem I can see is that maybe I get some chain slap or there's a higher likelihood of the chain bouncing off if I accidentally go small/small. Is there anything else?
Nope. Being able to go big-big w/o killing anything is the issue. And if in 32t w/o upper pulley dragging on the 32t cog...go ride.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:40 PM

You have it figured out.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:38 PM

Having the chain go slack in gears you never intend to use is not a problem. However, long chain tension in all other gears means you will have slow shifting.