Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
I have to agree with this too. This case might be different though as the title sponsor is in cycling retail. The big money provider my have requirements for certain lower tier sponsors.
Yeah, dunno about that, i simply dont know the intricacies of these deals where the actual equipment can make or break a season. But it seems they were cashing checks until something goes sideways on a big stage. If indeed they were having so many technical issues, this was a known problem that should have been ironed it out ages ago.

Ill add that if dropped chains are really an issue for them when cx, downhill, enduro, etc riders are doing just fine on 1x then it seems its more of a compatibility issue than a hardware failing.

Regardless, deal with it internally or ride better to have more sway with your sponsors. What you dont do is publicly embarrass the people who are enabling your season in the first place. That is just unprofessional
Old 06-16-2018, 01:12 PM

On a somewhat unrelated note, it seems they are also using thru axles. I wonder how those wheel changes went. Neutral support carry those wheels or team cars only? Rotor sizes would also have to match up...
Old 06-16-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
Regardless, deal with it internally or ride better to have more sway with your sponsors. What you dont do is publicly embarrass the people who are enabling your season in the first place. That is just unprofessional
+++++
Old 06-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Randomhead

good luck getting an equipment sponsor going forward.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
good luck getting an equipment sponsor going forward.
I’ll be willing to bet that $20 if they asked shimano, even now, they’d get groups. Probably could find a frame sponsor too. These guys love to snatch a team from one another.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Really? Not one person is pointing the finger at the rider?

Sorry but dropped chains on SRAM 1x is not a widely know problem and most of it is run on ATB and CX bikes.

Gimme a break.
As in every other thread about this subject, the people criticizing 1X for road and SRAM 1X in general are people who have never ridden it and/or have said that they would never even consider riding it. It has been just as flawless as DA 9070 on the bikes I have it on. I enjoy it on dirt and road.

OTOH, I don't think any of us have tried the proprietary 3T cassette that it's being used with.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
As in every other thread about this subject, the people criticizing 1X for road and SRAM 1X in general are people who have never ridden it and/or have said that they would never even consider riding it. It has been just as flawless as DA 9070 on the bikes I have it on. I enjoy it on dirt and road.

OTOH, I don't think any of us have tried the proprietary 3T cassette that it's being used with.

I can't imagine there is a lot of purchase for the chain in a 46-9 combo at the edge of workable chainline. The shorter the chainstay, the worse this gets.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
How is SRAM pushing 1x setups? 3T designed the bike that this team is using to be 1X for marginal and debatable aero gains and they're using a group designed for cyclocross for top level road racing. SRAM's current generation mechanical FDs are as good, and sometimes better, than those from the other companies. If SRAM was all over the decisions about what this team is using, they'd be on 2x eTap setups, since that's their top of the line race group.
The SRAM marketing gurus have been pushing road 1x for years, going back to the days when their FD was the bain of their sponsored riders. Here is one of their web ads.

https://www.sram.com/stories/13-thin...-about-1x-road

In this case, 13 was prolifically unlucky.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:04 PM

Somebody give me the Cliffs Notes version of why chainstay length matters so much in this discussion.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Somebody give me the Cliffs Notes version of why chainstay length matters so much in this discussion.

Thanks
Shorter chainstays make chain alignment problems much worse. The angle of the chain gets much more exaggerated with only small changes in length.
So if a chain is more likely to drop off a cog or chainring, it will be much worse.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Shorter chainstays make chain alignment problems much worse. The angle of the chain gets much more exaggerated with only small changes in length.
So if a chain is more likely to drop off a cog or chainring, it will be much worse.
Of course, got it.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:

yabut, Paul, you put about 300 miles yearly on your sramz. the tragedy of owning 10 other bikes.

Last edited by beeatnik; 06-17-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:58 AM
Vendor

Quote:

The 'people' in this thread are pros and a DS/owner criticizing 1x for road and by extent SRAM 1x and the 3T strada - the rest of us are chatting about that pro criticism, our opinions and experience. And those 16 total pros have likely accumulated many more miles on said SRAM 1x system than any of us will in a lifetime... to date probably some 200-300k km already. Even if you ride as much as a pro in a year, which cyclists most don't, it'll take you 16 years to do what these 16 do this year. That's why pro sponsorship is influential with all it's good and bad.

In regards to the black 3T cassette we have no idea how much they use that vs SRAM and if is causes more/less problems, but we know Mark Christian was using a SRAM cassette when he had THIS problem the thread is about.

It's absurd that I would need to build my own database of long term reliability on each and every product when product testing and pro sponsorship exists. I'm going to do 300,000km on each of the major groupsets and their options? In what lifetime? Pro results will be much more robust than any I could produce. So, especially considering the sponsor pressure that exists in cycling, if pros publicly slam a product, it speaks loudly.

Last edited by rain dogs; 06-17-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:16 AM

Why is it so difficult for some to accept that an American company can regularly design and produce garbage? Who was defending AMC in the 80's or Chrysler in the 90's? Give me a Honda 24/7. I mean Shimano. Ya.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
Why is it so difficult for some to accept that an American company can regularly design and produce garbage? Who was defending AMC in the 80's or Chrysler in the 90's? Give me a Honda 24/7. I mean Shimano. Ya.
Because they don't produce garbage. And Shimano has plenty of product issues of their own. There's so much disdain and hyperbole when in comes to SRAM and most of it is unfounded or based on groups that they no longer make. I personally think 1x is a silly choice for road bikes and downright stupid for pro-level racing. I also think that 3T Strada has stupid geometry that doesn't make sense from a fit standpoint or a parts compatibility standpoint. But the issue here is with a team that said yes to a bike sponsor that locked them into a poor gear selection with no alternative. I feel bad for the racers. To put in as much training and work as these guys do only to have to ride something that puts them at a disadvantage must be heartbreaking. Any other bike and they could toss on some Yaw FDs and a double chainring crank and put this issue to bed.