Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM

What to do with broken Campy stuff?

Not intending to open a can of sarcastic worms with the title, I'm specifically curious about these two quite common issues:

- Early carbon fiber Record square taper crankset with unglued pedal thread insert. If I find the insert have they been effectively re-inserted and adhered?

- Record titanium seatpost with broken cradle. Are these lower cradles available? Buy a steel Centaur post and scavenge the cradle?

I inherited a box of parts and wonder what options exist beyond recycle/dumpster.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:50 PM
That guy..

i have a few weird broken but not dead parts kicking around aswell.
tbh i've slowly started chopping things up to make things for my bike area.

like my trek madone BB shell pencil holder.

are those broken pieces really worth the trouble of trying to fix?
i can understand why you see value in keeping it though, as im the same.

but honestly. make some cool bike area things with them :P

carbon record toilet paper holder?
Old 10-24-2018, 12:54 PM

What started the thought was a friend experimenting with Ti anodize asking if I had any Ti scraps lying around.

The pedal insert should be an easy fix (if I find the insert). It's a simple threaded insert, the proper Loctite product should handle the job.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:04 PM

Might give Ben a call at Velo Mine or check eBay for the seat cradle.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
Might give Ben a call at Velo Mine or check eBay for the seat cradle.
Never thought to check, I'd assumed they were unobtainium. Clearly Campy had a replacement plan. A bit spendy for what it is, however.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
- Record titanium seatpost with broken cradle. Are these lower cradles available? Buy a steel Centaur post and scavenge the cradle?
Some Campagnolo cradles are available separately, but very expensive new. Not all models, though, I think.

One could of course try to find an older Campagnolo seatpost, as long as the cradle dimensions/models match. This would be the much less expensive recourse.

Edit: is the one in the photo above for your same seatpost? The prices are crazy!

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 10-24-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:57 PM

There is always a market for Campy bits on eBay, even broken stuff. I have a box of partial derailleurs, etc, mostly 80’s and 90’s stuff that I use for spare parts. I once bought a carbon cage 10s FD with a broken rear cage for $5 and I was a lemon to glue it back together into a normally functioning piece.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
There is always a market for Campy bits on eBay, even broken stuff. I have a box of partial derailleurs, etc, mostly 80’s and 90’s stuff that I use for spare parts. I once bought a carbon cage 10s FD with a broken rear cage for $5 and I was a lemon to glue it back together into a normally functioning piece.
I do this to. I have quite a lot of broken campy stuff. Sometimes you need a lever blade, a spring, a bolt etc. Saved me more than once .)
Old 10-24-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I do the same, but really have no need for one of these Campy seatposts. Maybe I'll offer it up here, no desire to enter the eBay quagmire with a broken part (recipe for another thread here for sure).
Old 10-25-2018, 08:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Not intending to open a can of sarcastic worms with the title, I'm specifically curious about these two quite common issues:

- Early carbon fiber Record square taper crankset with unglued pedal thread insert. If I find the insert have they been effectively re-inserted and adhered?

I inherited a box of parts and wonder what options exist beyond recycle/dumpster.
-If you find the insert, it screws in..JB weld and screw it back in. Don't make the pedals gorilla tight, grasso on threads.

-Those big pitch cradles are very hard to find..yes, the Centaur cradle is the same.