Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 07:39 AM

OT Recommend web cam for Zoom

Tech gurus
I’d like a webcam to sit on top of my 27" Dell monitor (U2719DC UltraSharp 27" 16:9 IPS Monitor) so I can stop turning my self to face the laptop. Best case I think is if it connects to the monitor, because the Mac has those USB-C ports, and 3 of the 4 of them are filled already. Below are the connectivity specs on the monitor, which is connected to the Macbook Pro via Displayport to USB-C cable.

Connectivity
1 x DisplayPort Output
1 x DisplayPort 1.4 Input
1 x HDMI 1.4 Input
1 x USB Type-C (USB 3.1 / USB 3.2 Gen 2) Input/Output
4 x USB Type-A (USB 3.1 / USB 3.2 Gen 1) Output
1 x 3.5 mm Output

I don't think this needs to be too fancy, although I imagine autofocus rather than fixed focus would be good. Doesn't need to be the least expensive one either.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2020, 07:49 AM

Logitech c920 or similar. I’ve had one for years and it works simply and with good quality.

It is much better than a typical laptop camera, something really noticeable with all the remote meetings I’m in these days. It does a much better job of focusing around the person to look more realistic with the fake backgrounds.

I stick it atop a very large monitor most the time, and also occasionally use a tripod with it for other use cases such as daughters online dance classes.

It is worth reading some basic best practices for sound and lighting setup as it can make a big impact.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:50 AM

I'm also looking for one, or rather waiting for the 1080p Logitechs to go on sale but the prices have been fixed for months. Retailers probably figure covid has demand too high to bother with sales.

Depending on what you do, a computer microphone may be a good investment as well to prevent that airy/ echoey sound.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:53 AM
quadropheniac

+1 on the Logitech C920...now try and find one.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:56 AM
Administrator

following! i need one too.

i also need a new speakerphone puck thingie. my POS plantronics one just died, or completely failed to charge.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:06 AM

Not a camera, but still relevant - got my kid a sennheiser sc60 boom mic headset and pretty much stole it from her. Excellent quality for about $40.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:21 AM

If you have a camcorder, some of them have webcam option/ functionality. May suffice until you find a webcam.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:55 AM

Thanks all - ordered a Logitech C920S off of eBay. Paid a premium because the big retailers are all back-ordered.
BTW - first ordered one from Full Compass, and not until I paid did the web site tell me that they were backordered >30 days. Sent a follow-up to cancel this order, will see how that works out.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:59 AM

I'm lucky I had the camera well before there was any demand for them!

I do think if you are going down the external camera route may as well plan for audio too. Most available are underwhelming and i've yet to use any hands free speaker that is excellent quality with no echoes or other issues commonly experienced during meetings.

As mentioned I'm probably in 6 hours of meetings each day mostly 30 minutes each with different people all day so get to witness pretty much every thing that is out there as far as audio video goes.

worst are hands free speakers both low and high end (i hate meeting with multiple people with those!!!) and using a laptop camera in a poorly lit room. Its just depressing meeting with a washed out ghost that sounds like they are in an echo chamber

I currently use this Jabra Engage 75 wireless headset and it is much better than any wireless I've used previously and is even up there with higher end audio headsets I use for personal music. Its a nice, black space of silence and is noticeable if you meet with someone else with the same. the audio quality is just so much better more like in person.

it also does a great job eliminating any sounds.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:15 AM

For a camera you should get one of the current Logitechs. I have a 920S and a Brio. The Brio is *really* nice. And the Brio is USB-C.

They're backordered from the usual sources...but...

Check out B&H Photo or Connection.com. They had stock in August when nobody else did. (This is what happens when you're on Page 2 of Google Search...)

I run a separate ATS2020 microphone, and a pair of B&W USB speakers.

Yea, it's a higher end setup...but I've been working from home for 10 years.

And our intracompany communication is 100% via Google Meet. Haven't talked with a coworker by phone since the beginning of the year.

Oh, and I have two webcams as I have two separate computers set up on my desk. Looks a bit like a Bloomberg trading station with three good sized monitors.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 09-21-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Thanks all - ordered a Logitech C920S off of eBay. Paid a premium because the big retailers are all back-ordered.
BTW - first ordered one from Full Compass, and not until I paid did the web site tell me that they were backordered >30 days. Sent a follow-up to cancel this order, will see how that works out.
I bought a webcam from eBay in the spring. Only way to get one back then.

Had a devil of a time cancelling an order with TigerDirect in August. Be careful.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 09-21-2020, 10:40 AM
quadropheniac

The Logitech has a lens flap too...

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...rtual-meeting/
Old 09-21-2020, 10:42 AM

I have a Plantronics 8220 wireless headset that I plan to continue to use for audio, so I just needed the camera.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:05 PM

I picked up one of Logitech's latest, which has 4K and whatnot. IMHO 4K is kinda ridiculous for a webcam, but it didn't cost much more than the 920 and 930 models, which seem to be discontinued (and work just fine).

One nice feature is that it has two or three angles of view - I think 90, 78, and 50 degrees.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:29 PM

I deploy the same monitors at work. Get the Logitech C920. You will most likely have to resort to ebay as no one has them in stock. The picture quality is excellent compared to any and every laptop camera.