Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Agreed. My feeling is tires are "cheap insurance" considering we are balanced on two tiny contact patches at 45 mph downhill.
If going to a big planned ride I ensure fresh tires have been fitted onto the bicycle and tested to minimize opportunities for punctures or failure.
New tires also feel really good and boost handling confidence. I get thousands of miles from my GP3K, GP4K, and GP5K tires. :-)
This.

As I never tire of pointing out, the engineering behind and the demands upon our tyres make them incredibly important components.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:46 AM

at 150 lbs on good roads, with 4000s, I typically get ~5,000 miles from a rear tire.

have a set of 5000s that I'm anxious to see how they compare.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Agreed. My feeling is tires are "cheap insurance" considering we are balanced on two tiny contact patches at 45 mph downhill.
If going to a big planned ride I ensure fresh tires have been fitted onto the bicycle and tested to minimize opportunities for punctures or failure.
New tires also feel really good and boost handling confidence. I get thousands of miles from my GP3K, GP4K, and GP5K tires. :-)
True that ^^^

Truth is at $76 a pair for the GP5000's (@CRC) I just bought & considering I average 8-9 months 6k+ miles out of them they really are cheap.
Even Veloflex Corsa's are only $45 a pair @Merlin

When we consider what we spend on even a jersey these days a pair of good tires at these prices is quite good.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Agree ^^^

I just changed out a set of 4000's to 5000's yesterday. I had 6077 miles on the set.

Both still had wear indicators showing some depth,but yes rear as usual squared off pretty well by this time.

Could have kept front going as it doesn't square off but it had some decent small cuts & well....really 6000 miles Felt I got my monies worth & wanted to try the 5000's
At that rate ... I see a bunch of decent sales on the 5K. If Conti releases the 6K in 2021, I sort of wonder if I'll still be on my 4Ks.

FWIW, I think the GP 4000 SII came out in 2014, and its successor in 2018. I'm not really expecting the 6Ks to come out in 2021, but who knows...
Old 09-21-2020, 03:12 PM

I'd love to try the GP 5000s but I got a good deal on some spare GP 4000s and the ones on my bikes are not wearing out particularly fast. Also, a friend switched to another brand and gave me a few GP 4000s that were barely used.
BTW, being a cheapskate, I ride my tires if they are 'squared off' and don't really notice any significant difference.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:00 PM

I get 5,000km (3-4 months) or so out of a set of GP5000's. The rear goes before the front but I usually replace both at the same time.

Every now and then I'll get a slice which ends it before then.

I'm 65kg which I think helps with the wear.

I generally ride road on them but don't hesitate to ride a bit of gravel or whatever here and there.

They are my favourite tyre as they're a really nice balance of speed and robustness; there are faster tyres and there are tougher tyres but I find them to be a great compromise for my own usage. YMMV.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
I get 5,000km (3-4 months) or so out of a set of GP5000's. The rear goes before the front but I usually replace both at the same time.
That's like throwing away a perfectly good tire every 3-4 months! Just move the front to the rear, put a new tire in the front, and the rear will still last 5000 km.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
That's like throwing away a perfectly good tire every 3-4 months! Just move the front to the rear, put a new tire in the front, and the rear will still last 5000 km.
I hear what you're saying, but the front doesn't get thrown out, goes in the shed and then I have a spare or two lying around. Always handy to have spares on hand, they always seem to find a use - I don't have a shed full of tyres, at most there will be 2 or 3 good usable tyres.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
I hear what you're saying, but the front doesn't get thrown out, goes in the shed and then I have a spare or two lying around. Always handy to have spares on hand, they always seem to find a use - I don't have a shed full of tyres, at most there will be 2 or 3 good usable tyres.
Well allright then

I know a guy who likes to start every 1200K with a fresh set of GP4000's and now GP5000's. The problem is, he rides a lot of them, so every year he has many pairs to sell with 1200 km on each.