Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2020, 03:43 PM
aka RAEKWON

Get a mac book pro and call it a day. Would definitely max it out on ram. They are great computers and last forever and why I suggest maxing the ram and maybe do a 512gb drive instead of 256.

Agree I would get the new m1 proc.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Get a mac book pro and call it a day. Would definitely max it out on ram. They are great computers and last forever and why I suggest maxing the ram and maybe do a 512gb drive instead of 256.

Agree I would get the new m1 proc.
I've always figured what ever computer you buy, get the most memory you can to get the most life possible out of it.

Thanks for the comments folks, definitley gives me some things to consider in my Mac search.

W.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:23 AM

My experience with Macs; I bought a white MacBook with a reduction of 100 €, supposedly, at this time of year, maybe ten years ago, or a little more. The model had a fault the hull was cracking. Design errors: this has happened on several models from Apple. After two years and two shell replacements paid for by all Apple customers, (YOU, GUYS), the warranty was over. The hull has fallen into disrepair again. Logically, the same causes cause the same effects, and since they had not proposed any solution ...
Then there was the "inverter" / display failure and I plugged it into a monitor.
Then, or before that, I don't remember well, one of the hinges dropped and I noticed that it was plastic inside! which I found absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!
in short, I knew and appreciated the aesthetics of the OS, of course, as everybody, but it 'cost € 800 to me, for a tiny 13' laptop and winch only lasted two years.
I struggled a bit but went back to Windows and I can tell you that I will NEVER more give a dollar to Apple, and never more will I use their system. And I'm going fine without Apple.
When all is well “a Mac” isn’t a "computer"" in people's minds, but something special, above the PCs, a synonym of excellence. it's essentially due to the marketing. But when things go badly you have to go through Apple and everything is excessively expensive.
Outside of their system, their prices are absolutely delusional and disproportionate to the materials and components they sell. In addition, everything is completely locked, so that you cannot troubleshoot yourself, from the shape of the screws to the operating system itself. I have a significant experience in PC troubleshooting, so I know what I'm talking about.
So I decided to forget about this super rich company at the expense of its customers. They don't give a damn about us. For me it’s obvious.
This is my opinion.
Hey, one day I saw a design error on a huge IMac. The customer was smoking or whatever and the glass had turned completely yellow in it: you could see yellow, it had entered it. Same philosophy as with my white Mac Book. They changed the whole inside of the screen, the panel. It cost a fortune ... to all Apple customers (to you my friends). And the same problem will probably come back later, necessarily. Unless the client has quit smoking, of course. Possible. These are design errors.
There are people who are forced to work on Macs because of certain software. Apart from that, I personally do very well without their products.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpascal View Post
My experience with Macs; I Apart from that, I personally do very well without their products.
Lots snipped..

Nice first post...’thinking of a new Mac laptop....

Reminds me of ‘thinking of getting a new “put new group here”, and somebody will give a few paragraphs of why THEY think it’s crap.

I am part of the apple universe, have been since a “Woz” Apple ll GS in 1985. Both grand daughters are on some school issued PC laptop for online learning. As mentioned, going from them(dell, I think)to any Apple anything is like going from a Yugo to a 2021 new Mercedes. I and family have had, since 1985, dozens of Apple stuff...desk tops, laptops, watches, phones, iPads and except for a couple of new batteries, have never had any issue ever.

Mobile on a 3 YO iPad but next is probably a 13inch APPLE laptop.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-06-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:18 AM

My 1st Mac was a Black MacBook. For work, had to use a PC (and had been since 1980 with a Compaq ‘luggable’). When Steve Jobs came back and Apple released OS X, I started paying attention and that Black MacBook was a nice piece of hardware (with an Intel processor). Then heard about Bootcamp and the ability to run Windows on a Mac, and that’s what got me to get that Black MCBook to give OS X a try, while still being able to use the MacBook with Windows for work.
If I didn’t like OS X, then I would use Windows for personal use, but I loved OS X Tiger. For me it made computing fun again.
Still have that Black MacBook. Got a MacBook Air in 2011, and still using it today (though a High Sierra is the last macOS that runs on it). I should get a new MacBook, but I find myself using my new iPad mini most of the time now, (and I also have a Mac mini that I run headless), so I’ll probably stick with the old MacBook for awhile.

Last edited by Tony T; 12-06-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:21 AM

I’ve been a user since the “dome” iMac that came out around 2003 and was an early iPod fan. I’ve had two laptops, a 2006 MacBook (white), they lasted 10 years. Finally died on a vacation trip in 2016, replaced it with a MacBook Air. Aside from a keyboard replacement, which was covered under warranty, it’s been great.

The old iMac lasted about 8 years (and 5 moves) and was replaced with a 2011 iMac that I still use today for work/school. Very easy to work on, and very durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2020, 07:28 AM

Admittingly, I am partial to Apple after having some horrible experiences with others. That, plus I'm old, and don't have the time and/or energy to learn another platform

William, I had a 13in MacBook, circa 2015, and just got the new 16in delivered. Since I only work primarily in Lightroom, I'm not sure about how it would fit your needs, however, I will mention that the graphics are out of this world. I couldn't be happier. Pricy? Hell yeah, but worth every penny imo.

Someone told me that the new M1 chip doesn't play nice with Adobe Lightroom yet. My decision was based on simple needs and a larger screen.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Nice first post...’thinking of a new Mac laptop....

Reminds me of ‘thinking of getting a new “put new group here”, and somebody will give a few paragraphs of why THEY think it’s crap.
He does have a bit of a point, though. To put it in terms we can understand, Apple’s design philosophy is kind of like those super integrated proprietary handlebars. And I can’t speak to the iMacs he was referencing, but more recently with the butterfly keyboards, Apple made a design choice that was objectively unreliable.

That said, they’ve ditched those keyboards. And I hear that the new generation of M1 laptops has absurdly good battery life and very high performance. Apart from the keyboard and to a lesser extent, the display cable in the same generation of laptops, they are well constructed and durable. I’m seriously thinking of trading in my current Mac laptop for an M1 MacBook Air.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:50 AM

if you're a touch-typist with skills honed on PCs...

...macbook keyboards suck-azz, and some aspects of how task-switching works is absolutely infuritating.

i joined a tech startup a few months back and f*cking hate using a macbook pro. abso-f*cking-lutely hate it. if i didnt have to work and be productive at the pace of a tech start-up, i'd be less irritated by a macbook!

the man-machine inferface is a big change for folks with years of muscle-memory developed on windows and not terribly interested being different for the sake of being different.
  • macbook keyboard has terrible tactile feedback four touch-typing.
  • if you're used to backspace/delete and various windows keyboard shortcut combos, with a touch-typing mindset, transitioning to a mac is brutal.
  • macos itself is fine, hardware is performant, installing/adminstering stuff is different but not terribly so.

santa's bringing me a gen-8 lenovo X1 carbon this year, upgrading my still capable 5-year-old gen-3. #trackpoint... FTW!!!

Last edited by wallymann; 12-06-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:53 AM

I have been a mac user since 2001 and still have my old pro from around 2003/04. I am now on a 2015 15"MBP i7,16gigs ram. 2015 is the last year that you could upgrade ram and HD on the end user end and with the magnetic power cord. Also a 21" 2017 imac,i5. I do alot of heavy photo editing and both have been great with the intel inside. I was reading up on the new M1 chip and I would prob wait a cycle or two on that chip. I just bought my son a new mini with the M1 but no experience with it as it is a christmas gift. It will be going to a 27" HD apple monitor.
Finding mac "pro's" to work on them can be an issue. I do have one guy in my area that is the best and knows the machines inside and out.
For a LP I like the real estate of the 15".
Apple does sell certified refurbs on there site that come with all the warranty stuff and support.
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/2019-imac
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbish...20-macbook-pro
Old 12-06-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
As mentioned, going from them(dell, I think)to any Apple anything is like going from a Yugo to a 2021 new Mercedes.
I just replaced a 2014 Air with a new M1 Air 13". About a week later my work sent my a dell laptop. I haven't had a windows laptop in over a decade. Just stunning to me how bad my work laptop is in comparison to even my old mac let alone the new M1. Thankfully I don't have to use it very often (99% of my work requires being in person at my job location, work from home is not a viable option).
Old 12-06-2020, 08:36 AM

The newest Mac laptops have nice keyboards. Some of the recent now discontinued models caught lots of complaints about this.

I’d probably buy one of the new models with the new processor. Nothing but good write ups that I’ve seen.

Last edited by HenryA; 12-06-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:37 AM
slower than you

Forever Mac user here. All I can say is, either buy a new laptop with the M1 chip, or maybe wait a little while for Adobe to catch up to the new chip and computers, because, I suspect, both Apple and therefore Adobe will not be supporting the old Intel chip models a few years down the line, if history is any evidence. I just bought a souped up trashcan Mac from OWC this Spring that may have just been given an earlier death sentence than I expected because of this new introduction. I try to buy used from OWC with increased ram because it's much cheaper. I use it primarily for Photoshop and Lightroom, and switch up when I can no longer download the latest OS, and, therfore, the latest version of Photoshop a little after that. It's an endless struggle.

I have read that the new M1 chip can only accommodate a max of 16g ram. That doesnt sound good to me, as a heavy graphics user.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpascal View Post
Hey, one day I saw a design error on a huge IMac. The customer was smoking or whatever and the glass had turned completely yellow in it: you could see yellow, it had entered it.
Hmmm... Smoking or whatever. Just a FYI- a quick Google search- Yes, smoking is bad for your computer. Tar and dust combine to make a sticky substance that clogs up the computer’s cooling system.

The computer fans that cool the computer draw in smoke & typical dust particles causing the dust and tar to mix together to create a sticky brownish yellow "TAR dust". This "TAR dust" coats everything and will continue to build and grow, plugging ventilation holes and insulating components. Parts that are now covered in this "TAR dust" blanket typically cause the computer to overheat & lockup, and/or the components to prematurely fail due to the lack of proper air circulation or thermal insulation smothering.

TEHO but smoking could be harmful to your health.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:46 AM

I have an Intel 15” MacBook Pro loaded (work) and a new 13” M1 MacBook Pro.

Absolutely do not buy an Intel Mac at this point unless you’re a software professional working on software that really requires you to use the Intel processor and the business requires a new machine right now.

If you’re a consumer you’re nuts to buy say a 16” Intel MBP right now. You could spend $3000+ and you’re getting a slower machine than a $1500 13” M1.