Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2020, 12:13 PM

Anyone have any familiarity with November GOAT wheels?

I think AndySti has a set. I'll say this, I'm a big fan of the owner's writing. Witty and insightful. It certainly would be a factor in convincing me to hit the "purchase" button. Offhand, I can't think of any business owner (outside of Richard Sachs) I find more interesting or edifying.

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/b...-ny-times-rule

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/b...duct-conundrum

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/b...s-are-changing
Old 12-05-2020, 12:44 PM

I don’t have those, but I have a pair of their all road 50s. I am almost certain that wheelset uses Light Bicycle rims. I would guess that the Goat uses LB rims as well, but I can’t find a rim matching all the specified parameters; the Falcon AR28 basically matches all their description save for the spoke offset.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/29er-di...vel-bikes.html

Overall, good build, good price. They are open about the fact that they use off the shelf components. They got one proprietary mold carbon rim in the past, I.e. they had exclusive rights to the mold and they supplied the rim dimensions to their supplier, but then they got out of that business due to not being cost effective. They prefer not to officially discuss their rim suppliers, and they may work with multiple. They do put a lot of thought into component selection. They offer a bunch of nice hubs that others may not. If you haven’t got your heart set on a hub, I’ll put in a vote for the Aivees, as they are very cost effective hubs and they seem to be high quality.

When I was searching for gravel wheels, my other option was actually Flo Cycling, which I believe has a proprietary mold plus (unknown) off the shelf Taiwanese hubs. I was convinced that the LB rim has to be pretty close in performance to Flo’s, plus I like boutique hubs, even if I often go for the lesser known boutiques.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:46 PM

I'm also a fan of the owner's writing. They're so knowledgeable. The blog they run is reason enough to give them a try IMO if you're on the fence and looking for some carbon wheels. No personal experience to add though.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:27 PM

Have had two sets, their Rail 52, and now a carbon gravel set. Great wheels, great company.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:27 PM

No experience with GOAT wheels but I do have two sets of November-built wheels (Easton rims laced to Industry Nine hubs) that are well-built and durable (use them for road and gravel).
Old 12-05-2020, 04:26 PM

Yep Josh, I have a set of the GOAT 28s. I've been very happy with them. Mine are a custom set that are 24 hole f/r and alloy nipples. They built them with I9 hubs. They were a reasonable price, they ride great, tires set-up fine and I've won a race on them - I'd highly recommend them. They weigh under 1400 grams. I also have a set of the older rim brake Rails. November puts together a great product.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post

When I was searching for gravel wheels, my other option was actually Flo Cycling, which I believe has a proprietary mold plus (unknown) off the shelf Taiwanese hubs. I was convinced that the LB rim has to be pretty close in performance to Flo’s, plus I like boutique hubs, even if I often go for the lesser known boutiques.
I currently have a set of Flo 45mm carbon clinchers and I previously had their 90mm and disc wheel on my TT bike. Flo has a good product but their disc brake gravel wheels are tanks. The weight is about 1900 grams.