Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 01:08 PM

Treat yo'self ! -- Black Friday Edition

Another week of consumerism has left my wallet feeling a lot lighter, and with the holidays coming up who else would appreciate all these awesome sales but ME! In an effort to find deals for gifts for family, I have failed yet again but with that guilt came a small amount of dopamine followed by a lot of guilt. But at least I bought a few things and can say I don't need anything for awhile! (or until I get another case of upgradeitis).

I decided that I will start riding more frequently from now on, so in doing so I decided to pick up a few kits to jump back into the lycra game. Bought a quadlock because I hated pulling out my phone out of my pockets constantly and because I'm too cheap to buy a Wahoo/Garmin. Lastly, I bought a few items I didn't need from friends who have their own small businesses to encourage them to keep on going.

But enough about me, would love to hear if anyone picked up anything that you're excited about. It has been a rough year and we've all worked hard and struggled in one way or another so hopefully you were able to treat yourself and not feel too bad about it!
Yes, overconsumption is dumb but I'm hoping this could be a fun, lighthearted thread.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-04-2020, 01:18 PM

Nice!! I picked up a set of like new Crossmax wheels for my 26er so I can keep shredding on it for the foreseeable future. Already had a set so these are a spare pair. Got some wider bars too. Wife and I have gone nuts this Christmas season, but it's just her and I so we tend to spoil each other! Been one bright spot in an otherwise crappy year. Oh, and our beloved kittie Charlie got a very positive diagnosis from our vet yesterday so keeping our girl around for many more years is the best gift of all hands down. Matthew
Old 12-04-2020, 02:07 PM

Built a new disc road bike which has just taken forever to build up, and picking up a Mac Mini tonight with the new M1 processor, very excited to try this out my CPU-heavy design apps and video editing. You have to spend money to make money, is that the saying?
Old 12-04-2020, 02:11 PM

Didn't buy any bike stuff.

I did buy one of the new M1 Macbook Pros.. it's freaking great, it makes me highly regret using my 2018 MBP from work to do work.

I treated myself to some choice riding this week though. Last week the weather was terrible, it's been stunning the last couple days. Went for a ride in shorts today!
Old 12-04-2020, 02:14 PM

love the reference

Old 12-04-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellvetica View Post
Built a new disc road bike which has just taken forever to build up, and picking up a Mac Mini tonight with the new M1 processor, very excited to try this out my CPU-heavy design apps and video editing. You have to spend money to make money, is that the saying?
A good review here:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020...azy-after-all/
Old 12-04-2020, 02:25 PM

I finally pivoted away from my vintage obsession and bought somethin' a real nice from Nate Zukas.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:30 PM
mentholated

i bought a pair of shoes with slotted cleats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 616F7760-FC65-4164-85F2-62CD97798BE7.jpg (101.0 KB, 395 views)
Old 12-04-2020, 02:35 PM

Since I actually have had the M1 Macbook Pro you will be happy with it WAY beyond your expectations. They are much much faster than we were led to expect. On the laptop side the lack of heat, lack of fan noise, and battery life are jaw dropping. The press was skeptical for good reason but Apple hit it out of the park with these machines.

The Apple applications that deal with media production are heavily optimized for it and they're jaw dropping fast. iMovie and the Photos app are absolutely crazy.

The question is which "Pro" apps will end up being properly optimized and which ones won't and will that make people not want to pay the big $$$ for the "Pro" apps. I have little faith in say Adobe.

I have a Capture One license and have had a long time Adobe CS cloud license... Teh current Mac OS Photos App is based on the code from Aperture. I was a heavy Aperture user for years too.

The Photos app on the M1 is so outrageously fast I am seriously questioning whether I want to use Capture One at all. I would not even consider lightroom again.

iMovie needs to be seen to be believed as well.

I'm a software engineer, so compiling big blocks of code is my main thing. These new Macs are smoking fast at that as well.

It takes me about 10 minutes to compile/assemble the product I work on for my job on my 2018 i7 Macbook Pro. We software engineers still waste a lot of time waiting for the computer. You cut that 10 minutes down to 5 minutes that saves the company a ridiculous amount of money over a year. Some days I might do 10 builds so you're talking an hour saved, multiply that across a team of 25, 50, 100 engineers who average 6 figure salaries the new machines pay for themselves incredibly quickly.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCilliams View Post
I finally pivoted away from my vintage obsession and bought somethin' a real nice from Nate Zukas.
Oooooh naaaaaas. His skinny stays and sweet paint work are slick.

My kids don't know it yet, but their gift to me will be a new Takeda knife and Hasegawa cutting board. I'm in the kitchen every day for them so I reckon I deserve it.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 12-04-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:50 PM

thanks for the insights benb. looks like you have to run rosetta for now, and there is a beta Photoshop version for the M1 processor, which I would want to mess around with.

Tony T, thanks for the link, just read through it. now I am more excited to fire it up!
Old 12-04-2020, 02:56 PM

My one purchase from Black Friday arrived today.

I have honey stinger waffles for many months to come
Old 12-04-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Since I actually have had the M1 Macbook Pro you will be happy with it WAY beyond your expectations...
You guys are making me want to spill water on my 3yo work issue Macbook Pro
Old 12-04-2020, 03:20 PM

I went to REI and purchased a customer returned harness for my dog for $18 that had been used once instead of the brand new one at $39.95. That was the extent of my consumerism and I was so stoked!

I liked it so much that I got a second one for his bro, at full price, though.

It's Ruffwear and is great. Has a front as well as back leash attachment. Useful as one of our dogs doesn't really pull, but the other one is half scent hound and he pulls like a MF. This stops him from doing so (as did his old harness, but this is much more robust for trails and also comfier for them).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9832.jpg (152.1 KB, 338 views)

Last edited by jkbrwn; 12-04-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post

ColonelJLloyd, that's a beauty!