Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 08:37 PM

Agree re Apple Watch solution - my concern is the phone damaging me in a crash if I carry in jersey pocket so use Apple Watch linked to my cell number when riding
Old 12-04-2020, 09:30 PM

I don’t get it. You most likely ride a bike(s) that cost thousands of dollars.

It’s just a phone...

Why go through the trouble? Cant you get Apple care or insurance to cover it if really worried about recouping a potential loss.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
why?

what are you afraid of happening to your phone on rides? serious question.
Anything that can. A drop out of my pocket, a fall off the bike, setting it down and leaving it. I'd rather any of that happened to an S7 or even an S4 I still have than my new one. Plus, those are smaller, easier to carry. Have a nice leather case the new one likely won't fit in. So, multiple reasons.

Last edited by makoti; 12-04-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Aren’t ‘burner phones’ still a thing? Buy this cheapie phone loaded with ‘minutes’, at WallyWorld, use em up and....refill or toss? Quite the thing in the ‘The Wire’ TV series.

Same as ‘prepaid’ phones? I donno.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:05 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Why go through the trouble? Cant you get Apple care or insurance to cover it if really worried about recouping a potential loss.
This is my thought as well. Why pay for a second line at $35+ a month, when you can insure your phone for cheaper than that? No messing with call/text forwards, losing or damaging THAT phone, which means more $ to replace. Slower phone, worse camera, etc.

Speaking of spam voicemails, I got sick of the constant spam calls lately. I’m talking 5 an hour. I filtered all non-phone book calls to auto-decline, and switched off voicemail. People I know usually text me anyway, if they can’t reach me via call.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:08 AM
Whale of a

Puppy wireless

Puppy has $100 a year plan 3g and $120 a year 4G plan. Each minute used subtracts from your balance until you need to refill.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Aren’t ‘burner phones’ still a thing? Buy this cheapie phone loaded with ‘minutes’, at WallyWorld, use em up and....refill or toss? Quite the thing in the ‘The Wire’ TV series.

Same as ‘prepaid’ phones? I donno.
yep I went though this a couple of. months ago. Tracfone has a plan for like $125 for a year service which includes 1500 minutes talk and text and some kind of gb data transmission. there may even be a discount for autopay. I ultimately did something else but this would have been the plan I choose if not consolidating with my daughter and grandsons on a family plan.

https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans
Old 12-05-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Aren’t ‘burner phones’ still a thing? Buy this cheapie phone loaded with ‘minutes’, at WallyWorld, use em up and....refill or toss?
I think you have to show your "Fraternal Order of Drug Dealers" card to buy these phones...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-05-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
This is my thought as well. Why pay for a second line at $35+ a month, when you can insure your phone for cheaper than that? No messing with call/text forwards, losing or damaging THAT phone, which means more $ to replace. Slower phone, worse camera, etc.
I have no intention of paying $35/mo for this phone & anyone who thinks so doesn't understand the question.
Load a phone with minutes that don't expire or not for months, at least. Likely never get through them, use older phone that fits the Waterfield case I have, and don't care if it gets trashed because I have an even OLDER one sitting around. Better camera? Not an "influencer", not posting my rides for my fans, not a concern.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
That’s exactly why I pay up front for Apple Care. I’m more likely to knock my phone off of a table than to drop it while riding my bike. When on my bike, it almost never comes out of my pocket. But I’m happy to leave it at home and use just my Apple Watch.
Definitely Apple care - and AirPods for communication hands free. Apple care is getting expensive tho!
Old 12-05-2020, 05:41 PM
The B!

ive only used prepaid for the last 4 years... $55/mo, unlimited everything, use whatever phone you want - i buy the original iPhone SE.. usually $150ish when they can be found new, or like $75 on craigslist. Straight Talk... uses the Verizon network, so service is good

my phone doesnt take as good o pix as yours, sure.. but i can huck it in a river and buy a new one 5 times for the price ye paid once

everythings a tradeoff.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:36 PM
Small ring

After I recommended Ting.com, I checked their current rates. $10/mo unlimited talk & text, 1GB data.

I just switched to their new plan. We never go over 1GB data.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Is it possible to buy a second sim? Same #, just as a backup & leave it in there so I don't have to pull the case off every day? This is a great idea, btw. Thanks. Hadn't thought of it.
Not as far as I understand. Your SIM card is a unique identifier, having two with the same characteristics shouldn’t be possible.

On iPhones, would take less than a minute even with cases on. Benefits are same number, same data, same price, etc.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Definitely Apple care - and AirPods for communication hands free. Apple care is getting expensive tho!
Love my AirPod Pros. But won’t wear them when I’m on my bike outside. If I have to communicate, I pull over and use my phone or Apple Watch. I can see who’s calling or messaging on my watch while riding and the haptic alerts work well. I then can decide whether or not I need to pull over and take the call or return a call. Even if I have my phone, it rarely comes out of my jersey pocket. It’s really never been a problem to carry my phone in my jersey pocket, even on my MTB. If your concerned, pick up a good drop-proof case for riding and make sure your phone is insured.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemdet View Post
Not as far as I understand. Your SIM card is a unique identifier, having two with the same characteristics shouldn’t be possible.

On iPhones, would take less than a minute even with cases on. Benefits are same number, same data, same price, etc.
Yeah, I looked that up after I asked. No, not possible.