Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 10:00 AM

We're on Boost and have been for a while. $35/month with a discount for autopay, so $70 for 2 phones--and I have never gone over any limits (although I am not a heavy user.)

Before that I was on a 'purchase minutes' -- 'pay as you go' plan with T-Mobile--also fine, except the issue for occasional users is that the minutes expire if they are not used... At some point we did the same with Trac.

Both worked fine--with T-Mobile you used to be able to purchase a SIM kit that would drop in to many phones--so long as they were carrier unlocked.

We just purchased new phones though--I have not had good luck with used phones--and when we looked to replace my wife's Moto-E, eBay sellers were still trying to get more than we paid originally for extremely well used phones. So we just picked up Moto G Fasts for ~$100 on Cyber Monday--and you could do better on a less current (non 5G) phone.

Edit to add: it looks like it is harder to get a simple plan that lets you add minutes--this gives some info on current plans--but the language is slippery--most look like they expire in 30 days now--and the minimum to top them up has gone up, so they seem to be more like a monthly plan than they used to be:
https://www.wirefly.com/guides/compa...ll-phone-plans

Last edited by paredown; 12-04-2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: deets
Old 12-04-2020, 10:26 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I actually just got a bigger phone. Something I was on the fence about doing being it is with me a lot, and on the bike.

Old phone in jersey pocket, this one not going that route.

I have these little top tube bags, and also a TT gel bag it fits in easily. The other thing is that I always wear contact lens riding, so age has blessed me with having to carry readers as well.

Thus TT bag, looking for tiny little kitchen sink to put in there, next to the 2 oz bottle of Stans juice and mini plug kit...
Old 12-04-2020, 10:31 AM

Any Mint mobile users out there?
Old 12-04-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Scammers rarely leave a message.
I wish. I get so many partial voicemail messages from them. Of course, I have to go through the steps to delete them. Makes me crazy.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:30 PM

can't say enough good things about US Mobile...they run on the T-Mobile network.

customizable monthly plans, can top-up talk, text, and/or data if needed for small fee.

cheapest plan is ~$10/month (150 min talk, 100 text, 100 mb data).
Old 12-04-2020, 12:39 PM

Check out consumercellular.com - very flexible plans. You can get a SIM that operates on ATT or T-mobile.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathsalts View Post
Any Mint mobile users out there?
I use Mint Mobile (Mintsim). $15 a month for unlimited talking/texting and plenty of data, and it works perfectly. The only issue I have is that it doesn't have great reception in very rural areas. I believe it uses the T Mobile network.

You would be able to switch the card between phones, if you wanted to.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:16 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I'm another Tracfone user. I just purchased minutes a few days ago - $15 for 30 days more service, 500 minutes, 500 texts and 500MB of data. I seldom use data that's not on wifi. My current balance has over 13k texts and 13GB of data remaining.

I tend to refill every 3-4 months depending on how much time I talk.

If you go that route, I would suggest spending the money for a year's worth of service to start with. That gives you a cushion and when you buy more airtime it will then extend your end date. You can purchase 1 yr of service, 1500 minutes, 1500 texts and 1.5GB of data for $125.

You may be able to transfer your old phone to Tracfone. You can check it here - https://www.tracfone.com/activation/coveragecheck
Old 12-04-2020, 06:09 PM

Insurance on your new phone might be the cheapest and easiest solution.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I got a new phone &, at the cost, am reluctant to carry it on my rides.
why?

what are you afraid of happening to your phone on rides? serious question.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:23 PM

I don't get this question either. To me it sounds like "I got this great new bike, but I don't want to damage it, so what other bike should I buy?"
Old 12-04-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
I don't get this question either. To me it sounds like "I got this great new bike, but I don't want to damage it, so what other bike should I buy?"
Ha ha - I don’t get it either, he’ll probably drop the good phone on his bathroom floor anyway- problem solved, just always use the ****ty phone
Old 12-04-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Ha ha - I don’t get it either, he’ll probably drop the good phone on his bathroom floor anyway- problem solved, just always use the ****ty phone
That’s exactly why I pay up front for Apple Care. I’m more likely to knock my phone off of a table than to drop it while riding my bike. When on my bike, it almost never comes out of my pocket. But I’m happy to leave it at home and use just my Apple Watch.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:28 PM

We've done well with Ting too, but it's on T-Mobile, which means you need to be ok with that network and GSM. Where I live, the reception of US Cellular is quite a bit better. It's only $6 per line, so you would be out very little/month.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:33 PM

I vote for Apple Watch also. Having another phone just for bike rides doesn’t seem like a “fix.” Could easily just store in a case or pouch in your jersey. Unless you crash your bike a lot, it should be fine, no?