Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2020, 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=AngryScientist;2838827]I would envision the black hubs. Excellent campy quality, simple understated aesthetic. I have a set of the hard ano TB14's, very handsome rims indeed.

if you have a good wheelbuilder build them with nice spokes, they build up to a really nice, great riding wheelset. they key is the spoke selection IMO. nice thin light spokes on the front and NDS rear, slightly beefier on the drive side.

a classicly cool looking wheel with modern performance IMO.

(these are silver, but i built exactly what i described above a few years ago, and they really sing on a good steel bike; the hard ano grey ones look even better!)

Thank you again for the feedback.

I like the bike in the photo as well. I road my Steve Rex steel touring bike today with friction down tube shifters and it was a welcome change. Just something about keeping things simple.

Cheers
Old 12-01-2020, 07:01 PM
Vendor

Any of the pre-built Campagnolo wheels, you can't go wrong with. The Bora WTO33 and 45's are excellent. Personally, depending on the size of the bike is one way I look at wheel size. That and rider weight and what they will be used for. But people who put 60 and 80mm deep wheels on 50cm frames, it just looks off. Not just off but the extra weight, craziness.

That said, you could always do a custom pair. Campagnolo will make a custom pair- 33/45, 45/60 for you. It will take longer but it's something they do but not really. I have a 33 front / 60 rear on order and a pair of 45's on order. I am taking the 33 and the 45 rear for me. He(a PLF Member) is get the 45 front and 60 rear. I like the looks of the 33/45 wheels. So that's an option.

All that said, I am currently building a Campy Record hubset(black) with Ambrosio Excellence rims(black) for a PEZ bike. It'll be classic looking but still performance oriented. I'm using Alpina spokes to it'll be an All Italian Build.

Something like that would look perfect on that frame you pictured. Personally, I wouldn't do silver or grey rims unless it's carbon and you have no choice. With that frame, black wheels would look better. Silver, too bright given the color of the finish. My opinion of course. But custom bikes is what I do all day so these are pretty normal questions.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:58 PM

Question on the Shamals posted earlier - judging by the stickers, these look to be from the generation of wheels prior to the current C17 version (i.e. C15)

Though C15 doesn't really apply of course since they are tubulars...

TLDR; does anyone know what the internal measurement of the rim width is on these?
Old 12-01-2020, 08:00 PM

I have some TB14 on my Merckx MX Leader and they’re great! I highly recommend them to anyone doing a neo-retro build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2020, 08:08 PM

Velocipede:

All that said, I am currently building a Campy Record hubset(black) with Ambrosio Excellence rims(black) for a PEZ bike. It'll be classic looking but still performance oriented. I'm using Alpina spokes to it'll be an All Italian Build.

Velocipede -

I like your idea of the different rim depth on the front and rear for the carbon wheels.

Just two questions that I hope you don't mind answering regarding the custom built wheels. First, are you using black or silver Alpina spokes and nipples? Second, do you know if the 12 speed Campagnolo cassette is compatible with the 9,10, 11 speed Record hub?

Thank you.

Last edited by BlueHampsten; 12-01-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:47 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHampsten View Post

I like your idea of the different rim depth on the front and rear carbon wheels.

Just two questions that I hope you don't mind answering regarding the custom built wheels. First, are you using black or silver Alpina spokes and nipples? Second, do you know if the 12 speed Campagnolo cassette is compatible with the 9,10, 11 speed Record hub?

Thank you.
Second part first: Yes, you can put a 12 speed Campy cassette on a 9/10/11 speed freehub body. It's just the new EKAR 13 you can't put on a regular 9/10/11/12 body. BUT!!! You can use a 9/10/11/12 cassette on the N3W EKAR body with the adaptor piece. A smidge confusing. But look at the unofficial EKAR thread I started Sept 24th and it'll make more sense.

Ok, first part now: I am using black Excellence rims with black Record hubs. Spokes, I'm actually stuck on that right now. The bike is gloss black with chrome lugs and stays. So I was thinking silver spokes. It'll have a Chorus 12 kit on it. If I do silver spokes, I was planning on black nipples. If it's black spokes, silver nipples. But I plan to do the two spoke on either side of the valve the opposite colors. So if it's silver spokes for the other 30, 2 in black. And the opposite if I go with black ones.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:08 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
please recommend what rims you believe will look good with this frame.
I hope Wally pal don't mind, I think something like this would look good on your bike - rim and tire combined for maximum effect.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:06 PM

What a gorgeous frame!

Can't go wrong with any good wheelset with that sharp frame.

If fat deep section carbon just make sure the rear brake bridge and fork crown combined with the calipers allows for wiggle room.

Have fun!
Old 12-02-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHampsten View Post
I am primarily concerned with aesthetics rather than performance differences between the different materials.
Lucky for you, you are a campy lover so this is both easy to accomplish looks and performance!

WTO33 all day. Don't bother with two wheelsets as once you ride the WTO33 or 45 you will not want to swap them out. Start a build thread to get us through the winter months and enjoy the build.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
but have seen some Record hubs that could be built with either carbon or alloy rims
Send those babies to me and I can design a wheelset for you.

Like using DT411s or BTLOS carbon rims and spokes to suit/match/as appropriate to you and your riding needs.

For the price of one Mavic carbon rim, I can get you 2 BTLOS carbon rims, plus my build labor plus spokes.....
Old 12-03-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
First, that Zullo is awesome and we need more deets on it..
Yea we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I\I'd want to the wheels to match the frame - but not necessarily match each other. So I'd get a set of custom built wheels, a silver rear wheel and black front wheel.

...I'd go silver rim, hub and spokes in the rear (with maybe black nipples for a little contrast), and black rim, hub and spokes in the front (with maybe silver nipples for a little contrast).
You magnificent bastard. No way in hell I could do this but I love it and I toast your panache, sir!
Old 12-05-2020, 09:08 AM

Thank you

Thank you to everyone for their feedback.

I should receive the frame in March 2021.

Will post photos of the build as it progresses.

Ride safe and stay healthy.