Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2020, 02:31 PM

If it were me:

I'd want to the wheels to match the frame - but not necessarily match each other. So I'd get a set of custom built wheels, a silver rear wheel and black front wheel.

Silver is only really an option in aluminum rims, but as this is a rim brake frame aluminum rims might be prefered here anyway. Fortunately there are number of aluminum rims that are available in both silver and black, as well as a number of hubs that are available in both silver and black (including Campagnolo Record hubs), and of course spokes are available in silver and black.

So, I'd go silver rim, hub and spokes in the rear (with maybe black nipples for a little contrast), and black rim, hub and spokes in the front (with maybe silver nipples for a little contrast). QR skewers are also available in silver and black, so I might go contrasting colors here, too.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
is that frame Ti or painted steel?
Painted steel frame (not stainless though).
Old 12-01-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
i think that bike would look good with just about any wheelset!

that said, i could see very easily:

1) Record hubs, silver spokes, hard-ano (Grey) TB14's

2) De-badged boras

3) De-badged shamals/zondas.
I have all these wheels, except not TB14s I have Ambrosio nemesis

Record hand built is solid and forever, even smoother with tubular.

Boras are, no question, the fastest wheels. The clinchers ride good enough, but to really get the most out it's tubular.

I have racing zero nite which is very shamal under a different name. Clinchers in these ride awesome and doubly so as an every day wheel. Very serviceable and very good hubs. Very strong too and the weight and aero is more than good enough. I agree, all would work with that frame
Old 12-01-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post

Record hand built is solid and forever, even smoother with tubular.

...excellent advice
Old 12-01-2020, 04:15 PM

Carbon wheels are better they just cost more.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:17 PM

Aesthetics vs?..

If it's purely a looks thing, sure get blingy carbon deep section rims – goes well with the larger diameter tubes, etc.

If you routinely hold 40 kph speeds by yourself, go for the deep section rims – but make it 40+ mm deep, and be very choosy as to aerodynamics of the tire / rim combo (trip edge, etc.). (Dimpled rims, bulbous profiles, etc. – they don't work as well as claimed in real-world riding situations.)

But if you want classic good looks, easy repairability, and $$ left over for a plane ticket to the Italian Alps (when COVID is over) – you know the answer. :-)

ATMO, to borrow a phrase.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one60 View Post
Campy and Fulcrum wheels are great....but you already know that

Alloy - DT Swiss OXICs....robust, great aesthetics, wonderful braking

Carbon - maybe consider some of the 'next generation' carbon rims? Wilier and Miche have wheel sets made with the 'butterfly pattern' filament wound CF. There are likely others...

Winspace, Hunt and others have similar patterned rims with (true-able) carbon fiber spokes. Giant Cadex use these as well so they arent unproven. In theory making a very stiff wheel. Some PL members have these.

https://www.velonews.com/gear/wilier...-to-its-range/
If the OP wants to go with a non-Campy wheel set then I agree with the DT Swiss Oxics.
That's the first wheel set I thought of when looking at that frame.
They are great wheels and would look sharp.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
If it's purely a looks thing, sure get blingy carbon deep section rims – goes well with the larger diameter tubes, etc.

If you routinely hold 40 kph speeds by yourself, go for the deep section rims – but make it 40+ mm deep, and be very choosy as to aerodynamics of the tire / rim combo (trip edge, etc.). (Dimpled rims, bulbous profiles, etc. – they don't work as well as claimed in real-world riding situations.)
Most fit riders can hold 24mph on wooden rims with $4 Chinese tires.

The OP should get Lightweights. If he can't afford Lightweights she should get any aluminum build between $400 and $1000.

edit: yes to the DTs.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
Surely you jest?.. Maybe I’m missing something, but I used to race, am reasonably fit, can sustain about 250 watts ftp after a good few nights of sleep, and I don’t go much over 20 mph for a long period of time (though 99% of my rides are on gravel nowadays, so I haven’t checked lately...) According to calculators, for a rider of 150 lbs on a regular road bike, it takes 250+ (closer to 300) watts to told 25 mph without drafting. That’s 3.67 W/kg sustained pace, well into Cat 1/2 category, no?.. What am I missing here?

EDIT: just scanned the last 20 yrs of internet bike forums and realized, clearly, I’m missing the crabon wheels...

Last edited by Pastashop; 12-01-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
i think that bike would look good with just about any wheelset!

that said, i could see very easily:

1) Record hubs, silver spokes, hard-ano (Grey) TB14's

2) De-badged boras

3) De-badged shamals/zondas.

If it were me and funds were available, i would do two wheelsets, (1) and (2) above, depending on the day and the ride prescribed.
Angry,

Thank you for the feedback.

Are you envisioning the black or silver record hubs? I had never seen the Grey TB14 rims and when I looked them up on the internet, was very impressed with their appearance and build quality.

Ride safe and stay healthy.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Surely you jest?.. Maybe I’m missing something, but I used to race, am reasonably fit, can sustain about 250 watts ftp after a good few nights of sleep, and I don’t go much over 20 mph for a long period of time (though 99% of my rides are on gravel nowadays, so I haven’t checked lately...) According to calculators, for a rider of 150 lbs on a regular road bike, it takes 250+ (closer to 300) watts to told 25 mph without drafting. That’s 3.67 W/kg sustained pace, well into Cat 1/2 category, no?.. What am I missing here?

EDIT: just scanned the last 20 yrs of internet bike forums and realized, clearly, I’m missing the crabon wheels...
24mph on well paved, flat roads is effortless. On the MUTs here 24 is easy, 26 is harder. But that's all due to wind.

Last edited by barnabyjones; 12-01-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post

The OP should get Lightweights. If he can't afford Lightweights she should get any aluminum build between $400 and $1000.

edit: yes to the DTs.
I like your response.

I would love to buy the Lightweights but, the dog and I would wind up on the back porch in the cold when my wife looked up the price on the internet.

As far as holding 20 plus miles an hour goes - I am way too old for that!

Have a great week!
Old 12-01-2020, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHampsten View Post
Angry,

Thank you for the feedback.

Are you envisioning the black or silver record hubs? I had never seen the Grey TB14 rims and when I looked them up on the internet, was very impressed with their appearance and build quality.

Ride safe and stay healthy.
I would envision the black hubs. Excellent campy quality, simple understated aesthetic. I have a set of the hard ano TB14's, very handsome rims indeed.

if you have a good wheelbuilder build them with nice spokes, they build up to a really nice, great riding wheelset. they key is the spoke selection IMO. nice thin light spokes on the front and NDS rear, slightly beefier on the drive side.

a classicly cool looking wheel with modern performance IMO.

(these are silver, but i built exactly what i described above a few years ago, and they really sing on a good steel bike; the hard ano grey ones look even better!)

Old 12-01-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslow View Post
They also make a carbon CXP pro rim. Specs here

Maslow,

Interesting options.

Thank you
Old 12-01-2020, 06:54 PM

Another vote for DT Swiss Oxic’s - meet your aesthetic criteria, ‘classic’ look and I have found them to be great all round wheels