Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2020, 01:19 AM

Orucase B2 vs. Post transfer case

Looking at these two compact bike cases, I'm hoping for some real world feedback/experience with them in terms of protection.

My primary concern is that both of them are soft by construction. The B2 has the large harder front and back panels, but the small side panels are basically just cloth covers. If the case lays flat on its large side and something heavy is on top, whatever inside gets squeezed because the two smaller side panels offer no structure support. The transfer case is the opposite: the two smaller sides are structurally hard but the large front and back are soft. If it lays flat on a large side and something smaller than the area of the large panel is on top or something larger hits it at an angle that misses the hard panels first, the bike inside takes a relatively unprotected blow.

Is this the necessary sacrifice/risk one needs to take in exchange for possible avoidance of excess fees? Is a hard case the ultimate solution if protection is the primary goal?
Old 11-30-2020, 02:27 AM

Cyclingtips had a story some years back from a baggage handler and cyclist who pretty strongly recommended soft bags. Easier to maneuver in the belly of a plane, less likely to slide off a carousel, easier to zip back together if needed to be opened for inspection.

My Post Carry handled a very bumpy international flight to France with no issues, and several domestic flights since without a problem. In the Post design at least, the side protection really is the wheels, though the side panels do have some soft padding as a buffer. And if something is hitting hard enough to toast a wheel, well, not much any soft bag will do to stop that.

They're both very similar case, but the Post wins out for me in portability. Having wheels built in was a godsend over lugging an unwheeled bike bag through an airport.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Cyclingtips had a story some years back from a baggage handler and cyclist who pretty strongly recommended soft bags. Easier to maneuver in the belly of a plane, less likely to slide off a carousel, easier to zip back together if needed to be opened for inspection.

My Post Carry handled a very bumpy international flight to France with no issues, and several domestic flights since without a problem. In the Post design at least, the side protection really is the wheels, though the side panels do have some soft padding as a buffer. And if something is hitting hard enough to toast a wheel, well, not much any soft bag will do to stop that.

They're both very similar case, but the Post wins out for me in portability. Having wheels built in was a godsend over lugging an unwheeled bike bag through an airport.
Thanks. The B2 is updated with wheels too but structurally different as mentioned. It seems a hard case will get more abuse but possibly provides some more protection inside whereas a soft case has less protection but also less abuse?
Old 12-02-2020, 09:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

Never tried the B2 but do own the post.

When you hear soft you think no good protection but that is not the case, the bag is very well made and is super tough and really inspires confidence when you drop it off with the baggage handlers. I have done a few trips with mine but bike arrived perfectly. It is big enough so you don't have to wrestle with it like an S&S case where if TSA opens it, you are probably screwed and they won't be able to get it back.

I really like mine (oh I said that already), and its a great price. When I bought mine I considered the B2 but was not out yet, I messaged orucase about it and they never replied (I do like orucase, they make nice stuff, I have a few other products from them) so I bought the post and would buy it again. Now lets get covid out of here so I can do my trip to Portugal for the year.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Thanks. The B2 is updated with wheels too but structurally different as mentioned. It seems a hard case will get more abuse but possibly provides some more protection inside whereas a soft case has less protection but also less abuse?
It's not as binary. The hard case is great on protection until some TSA jabroni's has to clip it all back together and forgets to put the support post back in. Or something you can't easily load into a cab or rental car.

They both have pluses and minuses. It's a personal calculus.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:06 AM
aka RAEKWON

Absolutely agree. There are pluses and minus to all of them,

I think the only thing I miss about S&S is that I can just put my bag in with normal baggage, the post is too big so has to go into the special bags carousel. Maybe the smaller size post fits but I have the large and it doesn't.

The wheels are a must, I can't imagine not having wheels like the orucase ninja. The post also comes with some bike protection, the kit is pretty rudamentary and I would definitely strap some extra protection but it is something while the orucase one, although seems like a great kit you have to buy (albeit only $49 if you buy the case)

Last edited by R3awak3n; 12-03-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:22 AM

I’m a ramp agent (baggage handler). The tiny airport where I work moves about 300,000 bags per year, so I’ve seen everything. My cases are CoMotion soft-sided S&S and custom Orucase-like soft cases for non-breakaway frames. My suitcases are Patagonia Black Holes.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
I’m a ramp agent (baggage handler). The tiny airport where I work moves about 300,000 bags per year, so I’ve seen everything. My cases are CoMotion soft-sided S&S and custom Orucase-like soft cases for non-breakaway frames. My suitcases are Patagonia Black Holes.
So it sounds like soft cases is the way to go based on your experience?
Old 12-04-2020, 12:20 AM

They’re not really “soft”. The CoMotion is a rigid plastic sheet inside a cordura fabric, the joints at the corners are sewn rather than molded. My bikes have traveled safely many times, but I have quibbles with the overall bag design. The other case I use (for non breakaway) is also cordura with layers or coroplas and high density foam, again with flexible corners. These have traveled very well with steel frames and never had an issue (pm me for images, etc). These are bags I designed and are similar to the Orucase concept, but slightly different in padding design. Like the Orucase, they’re stealthy, and the fabric is pretty tough. I have 3, I’m considering rebuilding one and maybe selling one, but overall they’ve been great, and at 7lbs/ case, less than half the weight of the CoMotion and many other cases.

I’m not a huge fan of molded plastic for many of the same reasons the CyclingTips article mentioned: they slide on the belts. There are certain brands of golf club cases we call “torpedoes”, because even in warm, dry conditions we have to use other bags to keep them on the belt. Shiny hardshell bike cases can often do the same, and many roll awkwardly. I wedged a hardshell case that rolled flat between two walls in Venice and nearly dislocated my shoulder.

I’ve also studied the Buxum Boxes, and though I think their ideas are pretty good, the first thing I see is how they will injure me at work, so there is considerable room for improvement.I have redesigned what I think is a better method of the concept but haven’t had time to get it too far beyond CAD and a card stock mock-up.

Contrary to popular belief, we won’t throw your suitcase, and generally, we don’t hate bike cases (I can tell you what we do hate, but that’s a different discussion). Damage to suitcases and contents happens from things sliding down belt loaders or getting ground by conveyor belts, not from us throwing things. Stuff will get dropped from waist height though, so pack accordingly (if you think I’m bending over to gently place a 50lb+ bag on a floor-level belt, you’re very optimistic and perhaps a bit naive). Odd shapes like SciCon (et al) will go on top or against a wall, because they stack poorly. My CoMotions probably go on the bottom because they stack well. My Orucase-like cases probably go on their edge or on top, because they don’t stack well either. If you’ve packed a moving truck, you get the concept of how things get loaded on the airplane.

For now, I’m pretty sure all US airlines except United have stopped charging for bikes, but will charge for oversized and overweight, so being stealthy isn’t as much of an issue as it used to be. That’s not to say those fees won’t come back some day, there’s no way to know. The other issue to consider is mechanical skills as the Orucase design is only 2 threaded couplers less work than an S&S or Ritchey breakaway frame. On my last trip, I got 2 S&S bikes broken down and packed in under 40 minutes, but I’m well-rehearsed. Before you travel, practice packing the bike many times, and don’t do it in the garage or workshop. Do it in the bedroom, unless you stay in really weird hotels.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:37 AM

I really enjoy my Airport Ninja and Sub62 oru cases but plan to swap to a B2 now that airline restrictions have relaxed and most of my travel is with gravel bikes which make the Sub62 and Ninja are a bit tight of a squeeze. If I was traveling with my road bike I wouldn’t likely make the switch.

Also of note, Oru cases are on sale through today if that’s any push.

Last edited by Kyle h; 12-05-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:38 PM

Love my Orucase Ninja. Traveled to Argentina from LA twice with my TT bike and Europe with a carbon road bike. Arrived perfectly and no bike fees.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2020, 07:48 AM
aka RAEKWON

this thread is making me want to travel real bad, I can pack my bike in the next 15 min and I am ready to go.

I really hope airlines start laxing on the bike bag fees, its ridiculous and if they were smart and charged a small fee (say $20-$50) each way, people would be totally ok with paying it. My post has gone stealth but still annoying to lie about my so called "exercise" equipment.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:01 AM

Wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has any feedback on either the Orucase B2 or the Post Transfer Case.

I've been eyeing the B2, but learned about the Post Transfer Case after seeing this thread. The two of them look pretty similar... the dimensions are basically identical. However, the Post Transfer is around $130 cheaper.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:50 AM

I have the original Oru case and the biggest drawback is the lack of wheels. Not a huge deal since I'm not hauling it around long distances in the airport. Does have shoulder straps like a back pack so I can throw it on my back for relatively short distances. Never have had damage or had to pay extra for oversize luggage. Nice and compact but requires fork removal to fit but I have rim brake calipers so not a big deal.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torelli View Post
I have the original Oru case and the biggest drawback is the lack of wheels. Not a huge deal since I'm not hauling it around long distances in the airport. Does have shoulder straps like a back pack so I can throw it on my back for relatively short distances. Never have had damage or had to pay extra for oversize luggage. Nice and compact but requires fork removal to fit but I have rim brake calipers so not a big deal.
Yeah, the backpack straps seems like a great feature... bet I'd use that more than the wheels themselves!

Good to hear about the lack of damage. What do you use to pad your bikes with in the case? I'm thinking of adding some pipe insulation foam... hopefully that's enough?

Fork removal is no problem... not sure why some folks view it as a drawback. As long as it can accommodate a frame with internally-routed hydraulic disc brakes (not full internal routing), these bags seem like the way to go.