Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2020, 02:17 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
As for defense, the issue is not defenders per se (although Koch has a tendency to, umm, c*** it up). It's that the midfield and forward players couldn't be arsed to harry and press today. I get it, the season is quite compact, and quite a few of them are running ragged. If that's the case, time to call in other players and rotate. Müller deserves a recall.

From another perspective, this game was coming. A lot of the really good sides play a ridiculously high line (e.g. Bayern and LFC), and one could only do that when one's midfield and forwards press, thereby limiting good service to forwards making runs behind the high line. Both Bayern and LFC have already been exposed this year (by Hoffenheim and Villa), and Germany getting a pasting was always a possibility. That said, conceding two goals from corners is rather atrocious.
i think the match was ample proof that individual quality isn't the issue.

Trying to employ tactics that require 11 men working together like a swiss clockwork fails if just a few cogs don't spin at the correct place and time, so to speak. Can make players the caliber of Neuer, Süle, Werner, Gündogan, Sane, Gnabry, Kroos, Goretzka look like a pub team.

I see why Löw thought cutting Müller, Hummels and Boateng at that time was necessary, but with the last remaining key player (Kimmich) absent, there is a distinct vacuum in the team's command center. Not entirely forseeable, but a coach is judged by his decision making and he had no luck there at all.

I think a change of personnel on the bench might giver the team a breathe of fresh air.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:55 PM

Btw, I’m surprised that Bayern gave Richards a start. All the more perplexing, as they shunted Alaba to CB and had Richards start at left back.

Otoh, the U.S. is just a winger, a striker, and a two defenders away from being able to name a starting eleven with Champions League playing time. The USMNT can certainly field a starting 11 who either start for teams in the top leagues (e.g. EPL, La Liga, Serie A, and Bundesliga) or has Champions League experience. That’s a huge step up from the situation barely two years ago.

Last edited by echappist; 11-26-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:37 PM

Some crazy (CL) games today - wow!!!!
Old 12-01-2020, 04:54 PM

That RB Salzburg v Atletico match is going to be tasty. As are the remaining matches in Group A. Both Inter and Real could get dumped out. Since i started watching football (which is only ~5 years or so), I don’t recall that interesting of a group.

And what about Shakhtar, a veritable team in exile beating Real home and away...
Old 12-02-2020, 02:12 PM

Stephanie Frappart, first female ref in a CL game (Juve/D Kiev) - about time!!
Old 12-02-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
That RB Salzburg v Atletico match is going to be tasty. As are the remaining matches in Group A. Both Inter and Real could get dumped out. Since i started watching football (which is only ~5 years or so), I don’t recall that interesting of a group.

And what about Shakhtar, a veritable team in exile beating Real home and away...
Assuming that you meant to say Group B, I totally agree.
Who would have thought that both, Inter and RM might bite the dust...
Old 12-02-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Assuming that you meant to say Group B, I totally agree.
Who would have thought that both, Inter and RM might bite the dust...
Ah yes, Group B, indeed.

Something's gotta be wrong with Inter when they aren't making in a significant push in either the CL group stage or Serie A. Conte isn't know for being a "bottler", but Inter trails its neighbors by five points right now.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:10 PM

What a cracking match at the Arrogantz (sorry, I meant Allianz) Arena.

Red Bull goes top with a great breakaway goal, only to have München score two in short order. And then Red Bull strikes yet again.

Certainly far more entertaining than any Premier League “top-6” matches this year.

Also, Musiala is a gem of a player. Wonder if he’ll pick England ahead of Germany though. Neither seems particularly strong when it comes to defending these days.

Last edited by echappist; 12-05-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:14 AM

RIP Paolo Rossi
Old 12-12-2020, 10:29 AM

Oh man, I don't know what to make of Dortmund, other than the fact that it's in omni-effing-shambles.

Lucien Favre is utterly clueless, and the team lacks mentality (almost like Spurs of yesteryears, except even more fragile). I would love to see Herr Klopp take over again after he solidly places LFC back on its perch. But then again, he may have had enough of a self-flagellation experience the first go that he wouldn't want to go back...
Old 12-12-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Oh man, I don't know what to make of Dortmund, other than the fact that it's in omni-effing-shambles.
True. But the goal by Reyna was pure class.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
True. But the goal by Reyna was pure class.
No doubt; that was exquisite. And he curled in a beauty from just inside the 18 last week, salvaging a point against Frankfurt.

If BVB doesn't hire a coach who can shore things up, I won't be surprised to see him leave town in search for trophies.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:47 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
No doubt; that was exquisite. And he curled in a beauty from just inside the 18 last week, salvaging a point against Frankfurt.

If BVB doesn't hire a coach who can shore things up, I won't be surprised to see him leave town in search for trophies.
BVB is a training camp for top clubs, and has been so for the last couple of years.this is OK for their accountant but they will need to be more ambitious once the finances are back on rail, the fanbase grown in the Klopp years will fade if they don't at least put up a challenge. With Bayern (anderstandably) struggling this season, there would be a chance to break the monotony of the league but it becomes obvious that Favre is maybe a good man for developing talent, but is he the man to make that bold move. German media already say he may be without a job at Xmas.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
BVB is a training camp for top clubs, and has been so for the last couple of years.this is OK for their accountant but they will need to be more ambitious once the finances are back on rail, the fanbase grown in the Klopp years will fade if they don't at least put up a challenge. With Bayern (anderstandably) struggling this season, there would be a chance to break the monotony of the league but it becomes obvious that Favre is maybe a good man for developing talent, but is he the man to make that bold move. German media already say he may be without a job at Xmas.
this really puts Klopp's achievement in stark relief, finding and/or refining players such as Lewandowski, Błaszczykowski, Kagawa, Subotic, etc and turning them into a cohesive unit. Lewandowski aside, quite a few of those player really overplayed their potentials under Klopp. Hell, he even made Grosskreutz useful, in a manner not dissimilar to how he's made James Milner useful (though I'd say Milner has more natural talent).

Personally, I thought their transfer policy has been wanting. Spending on overrated or over-the-hill players (e.g. Schulz and Hummels) and focusing way too much on offensive firepower without shoring up the defense.

As for the league, Neverkusen could go top tomorrow, though the real threat is of course Red Bull (I mean Rassenball) Leipzig. Apparently, a few English commentators referred to the team as Red Bull; I'm sure the team owners are unhappy about that
Old 12-13-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
...aaand he’s out.