Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 10:14 PM

Or you could go budget for $20 on local Craigslist site.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:32 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
My partner wanted a HydroRow, so we got one of those coming on the BF deal.. will let you all know how it goes. Got good reviews. Seems like a decent way to get some extra strength work in that'd be good for me too. We'll see.
If your options are C2 vs another brand, then IMO C2 is the way to go, but if your options are another brand vs nothing at all, then by all means, get one of those.

Rowing is a great exercise (better than cycling, IMO) and if you live someplace where it's tough (or impossible) to ride outside during the winter, then it's one of the very best cardio options out there.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:33 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlance View Post
Or you could go budget for $20 on local Craigslist site.
Looks like it's worked out well for her...
Old 12-04-2020, 10:53 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
My partner wanted a HydroRow, so we got one of those coming on the BF deal.. will let you all know how it goes. Got good reviews. Seems like a decent way to get some extra strength work in that'd be good for me too. We'll see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
James recently got a water rower. It's nice. Looks more like furniture to me though. lol.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
If your options are C2 vs another brand, then IMO C2 is the way to go, but if your options are another brand vs nothing at all, then by all means, get one of those.

Rowing is a great exercise (better than cycling, IMO) and if you live someplace where it's tough (or impossible) to ride outside during the winter, then it's one of the very best cardio options out there.
HydroRow is more like Peloton. Subscription. Interactive. Etc.

If I use it a couple times a week, that's great. Should help combat the computer neck/back and cycling kyphosis.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
James recently got a water rower. It's nice. Looks more like furniture to me though. lol.
Between that and his sauna, he's living the dream.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:27 PM

Without a subscription, the Hydrow is a brick. I've got a buddy who has a Tonal. While expensive, it looks awfully nice and with gyms closed, makes all the sense in the world. Has anyone here tried one? It also is useless without subscription and minimum 3 yr is required, I believe.

Hydrow, Peloton, Mirror, Wahoo/Zwift, Tonal, NordicTrack, etc. We're awash with subscription based exercise programs. I wish there was more partnership/consolidation between these services because I'm not paying for multiple subscriptions. Since Hydrow doesn't have a bike and Peloton doesn't have a rower, they should combine. Except for Wahoo/Zwift, I'm not going to pay for others. This is why I like the C2/WaterRower option. I've got a friend who's given me access to Peloton subscription for yoga/stretching.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Without a subscription, the Hydrow is a brick. I've got a buddy who has a Tonal. While expensive, it looks awfully nice and with gyms closed, makes all the sense in the world. Has anyone here tried one? It also is useless without subscription and minimum 3 yr is required, I believe.

Hydrow, Peloton, Mirror, Wahoo/Zwift, Tonal, NordicTrack, etc. We're awash with subscription based exercise programs. I wish there was more partnership/consolidation between these services because I'm not paying for multiple subscriptions. Since Hydrow doesn't have a bike and Peloton doesn't have a rower, they should combine. Except for Wahoo/Zwift, I'm not going to pay for others. This is why I like the C2/WaterRower option. I've got a friend who's given me access to Peloton subscription for yoga/stretching.
There is a "free row" setting now on the Hydrow but she wants all the services and programs stuff anyway, and feels like paying for it is appropriate since there are instructors and a community built around it. I'm kind of whatever on it. There's a 30-day free return trial, so, just gonna give it a try and see.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:40 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
There's no way that I'd be interested in "Subscription / Group Weightlifting" stuff. I can see it for cardio, that frankly can get boring indoors (although IME as far as the "brain turning to mush" effect goes, 30 minutes on the rower are way, way easier to tolerate than 30 minutes on a "dumb" trainer or rollers), but for weights, or stuff like TRX or kettlebells it's impossible to get bored, and I feel like I have enough motivation on my own.

Interestingly, the Tonal device uses a magnetically damped flywheel. It's the sort of thing that looks like it might be fun to try, but the cost is high enough that you can't do it on a whim, and would need to be sure that it works before spending the dough.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:24 AM

Rowing and backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
Guessing from what I’ve read elsewhere, rowing is not the best for someone with a herniated disc. Any of you guys row with back problems? Looking for an alternative to sitting on a bike that goes nowhere this winter.
I rowed in college and stopped because of back issues probably caused by the torque of having only one oar with two hands on it. Rowed after college in a single for 25 years (no such torque in a single.) Have had almost every C2 machine iteration going back to the fan blade original. Was in Crash-b sprints etc.
Ended up with 2 back surgeries for ruptured discs. Tried the C2 machine a few years ago - very gently - and had foot numbness - I suspect from some kind of pressure on spinal nerves from the rowing position or motion. No more of this for me. This got me into cycling. My 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:42 AM

We're new into this game, honestly with Covid didn't run around to stores. We got a WaterRower, it is very smooth/comfortable to row. We don't fill the tank as my back isn't in best of shape. Really like the water sound when using. I devised a simple way to mount laptop. I needed a walker after my first back surgery, put is right over the tank then a board across below handles. Make perfect bench for laptop. Wife is watching the Crown, 1 hr segments perfect timing. If in a house/apartment setting think this will fit in if you don't have special room for workouts.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oakterrace View Post
I rowed in college and stopped because of back issues probably caused by the torque of having only one oar with two hands on it. Rowed after college in a single for 25 years (no such torque in a single.) Have had almost every C2 machine iteration going back to the fan blade original. Was in Crash-b sprints etc.
Ended up with 2 back surgeries for ruptured discs. Tried the C2 machine a few years ago - very gently - and had foot numbness - I suspect from some kind of pressure on spinal nerves from the rowing position or motion. No more of this for me. This got me into cycling. My 2 cents.
Thanks! Used one at the gym a few times any like you I had numbness in my shin, really liked the machine but guess I need to pass
Old 12-05-2020, 10:33 AM
'97 Ti Legend

When the lockdown happened I wanted a rower and the Concept 2 was on a 8 week (turned out to be closer to 16 week) delay. A deal came up for a high end Fluid Rower (VX-3 on mashable) and I bought. I really like the sound and the feel. I have an older Concept 2 at our family home and like it a lot, but the sound of a water rower, even when putting out 300 watts, is a pleasure.

I know the Concept 2 is ubiquitous for a reason, I wish I had that computer, but I'm totally sold on the Fluid Rower, and I'm glad I didn't miss 3 months of training.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:22 PM
Administrator

C2 or you're just playing around.

How many of you have ever rowed a Model A? My crew coach let me take one home for the summer to keep rowing on when I was racing. It used to sit forlornly in the corner of the boathouse while everyong was training on Model B's (a big step up). I actually enjoyed watching that bicycle wheel with it's plastic card like inserts rotating around while rowing that thing. My neighbors downstairs hated it though becaue it would make a big sound while hammering out intervals...wwwWHOOOSHhhh!!!....wwwWHOOOSHhhh!!!...wwwWHOOSHhhh!!!

Bought a Model C back in 98 and it has been in daily service ever since. Love that thing and I still say that if you could only have one piece of exercise equipment the C2 Erg is it. When I was fighting it was also an important part of my training, and when I was training others to fight I would introduce them to the fiendish but effective workouts one can get from a C2. As far as the back is concerned, I actually find that my back is in better shape when I am rowing regularly. It's when I start missing days on the erg that I start to have issues. If my back is jacked up then I may have to stay off it for a little while but generally I can row lightly even then.

I'm never going to be without one until the day when I can't physically crawl onto one under my own power (hopefully a long way off)

W.

Last edited by William; 12-05-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:07 PM

I've used the various iterations of the Concept2 going all the way back the original fan bladed one and to me none feel at all like rowing, other than engaging mostly the same major muscle groups. There's absolutely no finesse at all required and they seem to encourage pulling instead of pushing (though you can see good form rewarded instantly on the cool power curve function on the more recent models).

I'd love to hear anyones experience with the Oartek or RP3 dynamic rowers (setting aside the much greater costs). How hard is learn to row these full gas? Do either have a power curve function?