Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I'm also waiting on the '21 MBP in 16". Had a '17 13" and it really sucked. Went back to my '13 MBP in 15". Missing ports,*****ty keyboard, usb C charging port instead of the old standby mega safe. I had to get the charging port fixed cause it does not disconnect like the old one.
The '21 are supposed to have most of the ports of the 2015 models plus going back to the mega safe.
My 2013 is still a great machine and is in use every day with no issues. Maxed out the ram and put in a faster SSD and a few other tweaks and it still runs some hungry programs pretty easy on High Sierra OS.
Agree, I am not impressed with 2019 16pro, lose keys regularly, pain in a** to use extender to use normal USB stuff. But at the cost, don't see me going to anything new even if it had these problems fixed.

wife in love with her new 12.9 iPad. she can actually see the words in words with friends
Old 07-10-2021, 08:13 AM

Only two ports on new M1 Macbook Pro

Last night migrated data from the 2019 MBP to a new 13" MBP M1. The older machine has four Thunderbolt ports, and I have a Lasuney dongle/adapter that has 5 USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, two card readers, 2 HDMI ports, and one Thunderbolt port (hoping this is the right term?) I have the power supply and the 27" monitor plugged into two of the other three Thunderbolt ports.

The M1 machine has two ports. I want to continue to use the Lasuney adapter. I think the easiest approach is to switch the external monitor to a HDMI to HDMI cable and plug it into the Lasuney. But, I'm open to better solutions from the PL hive mind.

FWIW, the new machine has the M1 processor but otherwise has rim brakes, full Campy Record, and will take up to 32mm tires. And a Spurcycle Frankenbell is on order...
Old 07-10-2021, 09:22 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Last night migrated data from the 2019 MBP to a new 13" MBP M1. The older machine has four Thunderbolt ports, and I have a Lasuney dongle/adapter that has 5 USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, two card readers, 2 HDMI ports, and one Thunderbolt port (hoping this is the right term?) I have the power supply and the 27" monitor plugged into two of the other three Thunderbolt ports.

The M1 machine has two ports. I want to continue to use the Lasuney adapter. I think the easiest approach is to switch the external monitor to a HDMI to HDMI cable and plug it into the Lasuney. But, I'm open to better solutions from the PL hive mind.

FWIW, the new machine has the M1 processor but otherwise has rim brakes, full Campy Record, and will take up to 32mm tires. And a Spurcycle Frankenbell is on order...
Something like this from Anker if you are going to leave all those cords plugged in to this adapter and unplug it all at once from the MBP.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-MacBook...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Last edited by kppolich; 07-10-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:31 AM

Thank you. I see those types of options, and I am searching for what perhaps doesn't exist - a simple "multiplier" where plugging into one port has three or so ports. Something like this one...but all thunderbolt (if that's the right term, they also seem to be called USB4 now ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Something like this from Anker if you are going to leave all those cords plugged in to this adapter and unplug it all at once from the MBP.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-MacBook...926878&sr=8-14
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 10.30.22 AM.jpg (12.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-10-2021, 09:34 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Thank you. I see those types of options, and I am searching for what perhaps doesn't exist - a simple "multiplier" where plugging into one port has three or so ports. Something like this one...but all thunderbolt (if that's the right term, they also seem to be called USB4 now ?)
Any extra ports on the back of the monitor you could use instead of this adapter?
edit: if you switch to HDMI on that monitor I'm almost sure data won't transfer along with audio/video.

I went through a similar thing a year or so ago when I still had an Apple Thunderbolt Display at work.

Ended up grabbing. a new 4K USB-C monitor instead of worrying about dongles and adapters since it seems to be the future.

Last edited by kppolich; 07-10-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I think you mean USB-C.

The Anker hub is a nice piece of kit, and it gives you lots of options (USB, HDMI, ethernet, etc)...might have enough USB ports for you...(there are a couple of different models). You can plug the hub into the wall and charge the Air through one of the USB C ports, by the way...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-10-2021, 09:43 AM

At the risk of abusing your generosity, what does this mean in practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
edit: if you switch to HDMI on that monitor I'm almost sure data won't transfer along with audio/video.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:57 PM

PC at work, MAC at home. Windows seems like it is 10 years behind OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Lots snipped..

Nice first post...’thinking of a new Mac laptop....

Reminds me of ‘thinking of getting a new “put new group here”, and somebody will give a few paragraphs of why THEY think it’s crap.

I am part of the apple universe, have been since a “Woz” Apple ll GS in 1985. Both grand daughters are on some school issued PC laptop for online learning. As mentioned, going from them(dell, I think)to any Apple anything is like going from a Yugo to a 2021 new Mercedes. I and family have had, since 1985, dozens of Apple stuff...desk tops, laptops, watches, phones, iPads and except for a couple of new batteries, have never had any issue ever.

Mobile on a 3 YO iPad but next is probably a 13inch APPLE laptop.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:30 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
At the risk of abusing your generosity, what does this mean in practice?
Using this statement:
I have the power supply and the 27" monitor plugged into two of the other three Thunderbolt ports.

I gathered you have your current monitor plugged into the dongle using a USB-C to USB-C cable.

If so, does your existing 27" monitor have any open ports on the back that can be used as a standalone hub?

My statement regarding the HDMI cable is this:
If you switch to using a HDMI from the dongle to the monitor and you have existing open ports on the back/side of the monitor to plug in additional accessories--I don't believe you will be able to get any data from the monitor's ports to the MacBook via HDMI--only audio and video via HDMI.

With USB-C you might have a chance.

Background:
-USB-C is the modern connection on the side of the MacBook Pro/air lineup
-Thunderbolt 1 and 2 use the same connector as Mini DisplayPort (MDP), whereas Thunderbolt 3 and 4 reuse the USB-C connector from USB

So from here on out let's call it USB-C if the end looks like this:

and Thunderbolt if the end looks like this:

Last edited by kppolich; 07-10-2021 at 10:36 PM.