Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2024, 10:43 PM

Wahoo compatible wrist HRM?

I'm looking for bluetooth wahoo compatible HRM that I can wear on my wrist instead of the usual chest strap for some rides. I've seen some arm band options but I'm after something akin to my apple watch, but talks to the wahoo. Anyone have one that does this/they like? Consensus seems to be a wrist option isn't accurate enough, hence the dearth of options.

Last edited by batman1425; 08-27-2024 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:06 PM
Back At It!

I use a Garmin Fenix 6 and it is at least as accurate as the Wahoo chest strap, meaning they are usually reading within 1-2 beats of each other..
Old 08-27-2024, 11:10 PM

I got one of these back in May and it's been flawless. The band is soft and wide enough not to bind.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5RF6L9J...sin_title&th=1

I had a Schosche for many years but the sensor eventually split and failed. The Schosche needed charging every 4-5 days. I let the new one go until my Garmin tells me the battery is low, about three weeks.
Old 08-28-2024, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
I'm looking for bluetooth wahoo compatible HRM that I can wear on my wrist instead of the usual chest strap for some rides. I've seen some arm band options but I'm after something akin to my apple watch, but talks to the wahoo. Anyone have one that does this/they like? Consensus seems to be a wrist option isn't accurate enough, hence the dearth of options.
Sorry, not clear. Do you want it to tell time and do watch-type things also? I assume you do with reference to Apple watch and that you want to wear it on your wrist for a reason?
Old 08-28-2024, 06:10 AM

It sounds like you’re describing the Wahoo Tickr Fit.
I’ve been using one for the last 4 or 5 years. I wear it on my upper arm (at about short jersey sleeve level), but it comes with 2 different band lengths, I suppose it could be worn around the wrist. It’s rechargeable, and the battery life is about 30 hours. Mine’s worked as advertised since I’ve owned it.
Old 08-28-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
It sounds like you’re describing the Wahoo Tickr Fit.
I’ve been using one for the last 4 or 5 years. I wear it on my upper arm (at about short jersey sleeve level), but it comes with 2 different band lengths, I suppose it could be worn around the wrist. It’s rechargeable, and the battery life is about 30 hours. Mine’s worked as advertised since I’ve owned it.
Typically, for some reason, armband models are not recommended for wrists. No idea why. example from the Coospo instructions. Forearm seems ok, but not wrist. Maybe the Garmin VivoSmart would work out. It has BT connectivity, but can't say it would transmit HR to a Wahoo head unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hrmArmband.jpg (21.3 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by RoosterCogset; 08-28-2024 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:04 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AaLClbCurg

something like this will work

find a fitness band with broadcast HR function
Old 08-28-2024, 11:58 AM
#RYFB

Along the same lines as the Fenix, is there a Suunto watch that broadcasts HR over BT or ANT+?
Also, will the Fenix (or other Garmin watches) talk to a Wahoo?

Last edited by cgolvin; 08-28-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2024, 12:16 PM

Arm sensors

I have been using the Wahoo tickr Fit for many years and it works great. Wahoo support has been great when I needed help from them. This or any of the other arm units is highly recommended. Only downside I have seen in winter clothing which just makes it harder to turn on. It works fine once on.

I wouldn't go back to a chest strap and watches seem less precise to me and most watches don't broadcast to head units.

Alan
Old 08-28-2024, 12:40 PM

I can set my Garmin Fenix watch to broadcast to my Garmin bike computer.
Old 08-28-2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Sorry, not clear. Do you want it to tell time and do watch-type things also? I assume you do with reference to Apple watch and that you want to wear it on your wrist for a reason?

Nope just the sensor. For short rides it would be easier and more comfortable to have a wrist wearable option. I see lots of arm bands but I want something I can wear on my wrist. If I could get the Apple Watch to talk to my wahoo that would be problem solved but that’s not possible AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2024, 01:05 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
If I could get the Apple Watch to talk to my wahoo that would be problem solved but that’s not possible AFAIK.
one reason why I went from an Apple watch to a Garmin.. really haven't missed the Apple watch at all other than 1 or 2 very minor things.. and the extras the Garmin has more than makes up for it.. and my Garmin sure seems to be within 1 or 2 (a the most) beats with my Wahoo chest strap when I was testing both (Garmin on my wrist and Wahoo strap reading to my head unit..)

I think there is a pretty nice Fenix 7 for sale in the classifieds.. I have a 6 and really like it!
Old 08-28-2024, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
one reason why I went from an Apple watch to a Garmin.. really haven't missed the Apple watch at all other than 1 or 2 very minor things.. and the extras the Garmin has more than makes up for it.. and my Garmin sure seems to be within 1 or 2 (a the most) beats with my Wahoo chest strap when I was testing both (Garmin on my wrist and Wahoo strap reading to my head unit..)

I think there is a pretty nice Fenix 7 for sale in the classifieds.. I have a 6 and really like it!

Yea I don’t really use my watch for a lot other than the haptic notifications which are helpful. I also wouldn’t pay apple prices to replace it if it broke because of that. I’ll look into the Garmin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2024, 02:00 PM

I've tried and used a bunch of HRM's over the years, going back to Polar in the mid 90's. Even though I started with the chest straps, I've never really liked wearing them, not a one. Optical wrist stuff I still use some, I guess results vary across skin types. They work ok for me during the day, and my Garmin watch seems pretty accurate riding, but for whatever reason across several brands I get inconsistent results when I wear them to run.

I looked into a small HR only or primarily HR wrist based system to broadcast HR to a cycling computer and didn't find anything I wanted to buy. The reviews seemed to find the ones available to be less accurate or more problematic in one way or another than stuff I'd already tried.

For cycling I'm currently using the Polar Verity Sense, I wear it above my tricep below the deltoid, I forget it's even there. Less bulky and more comfortable than the Schoshe bands I've tried. I think you can wear it on the forearm too but I've already got enough weird tan lines. I don't love charging the Polar but it is simple to use, I don't accidentally change the settings, and so far it works well. Though I've seen that with other optical systems, they work till one day they don't.
Old 08-28-2024, 02:05 PM

I have tried a few different arm band sensors and they never worked well.
Now I use a Polar H10 chest strap and it works 100% of the time.
It doesn't bother me at all to wear it and it does not interfere with arm warmers or long sleeve jerseys.