Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 01:25 PM

If virtue signalling can solve anything then we got this thing licked.

Otherwise it's just a bunch of clowns patting themselves on the back for doing nothing.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:20 PM

yawn
Old 09-20-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftf View Post
If they are making stuff for US consumption, doesn't that make the US culpable for those emissions?
Pretty much, yeah. This forum is mostly about riding, but a lot about buying. Lots of my hobbies are about buying more stuff, something I realize I have to consider more carefully going forward.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM

I personally think its going to take Florida getting swallowed up by the ocean for the US to do anything meaningful about curbing emissions. By then it will probably be too late. I don't know how you actually get people to care. Its one thing to shut down your website, its quite another to quit driving your car or not fly on vacation or not buy piles of plastic ****. If people aren't willing to do those things, our politicians aren't going to be willing to act against their masters.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post

Otherwise it's just a bunch of clowns patting themselves on the back for doing nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spiderman.jpg (18.9 KB, 240 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 06:09 PM

I wonder if any activists planted a single tree today?

Or

did they make thousands of signs made out of wood, paper & cardboard that they'll eventually throw next to an overflowing trash can.......

Old 09-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
I wonder if any activists planted a single tree today?

Or

did they make thousands of signs made out of wood, paper & cardboard that they'll eventually throw next to an overflowing trash can.......

Consumption happens. It Is very simple minded (not saying you both have a simple mind) to think of solving problems like climate change in absolutes.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:23 PM

well the activists at least made enough of a stir for specialized and others to close their site down which started this thread which reminded some of us again that this problem is not going away and we really ought to do more.

Now we can just sit here and say that they arent really doing anything standing around with signs if that makes us feel better ofcourse.. Or we could try and take in the message again. We need to change our habits and makes some changes for sake of our future.

Next friday our company will tell our customers that we will make deliveries for you if neccasary but we rather you not book any work today for the sake of climate change awareness. I will personally work this day but not all of our staff will and hopefully we will not have a lot of work. Will it save the earth? Nope but its something small that we can do pretty easily.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 09-20-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:35 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
well the activists at least made enough of a stir for specialized and others to close their site down which started this thread which reminded some of us again that this problem is not going away and we really ought to do more.

Now we can just sit here and say that they arent really doing anything standing around with signs if that makes us feel better ofcourse.. Or we could try and take in the message again. We need to change our habits and makes some changes for sake of our future.

Next friday our company will tell our customers that we will make deliveries for you if neccasary but we rather you not book any work today for the sake of climate change awareness. I will personally work this day but not all of our staff will and hopefully we will not have a lot of work. Will it save the earth? Nope but its something small that we can do pretty easily.
Excellent.
That seems like a very effective way to convey the message, and to have your clients really think of their own positions and actions, rather than easily, simply, very possibly dismissively react to yours.
Far more effective than just shuttering the doors and going completely silent for a day imo.
Bravo.

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 09-20-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:54 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post

Sometimes, whatever it takes to get others (who may be otherwise unaware) to take in the message can be a positive.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:56 PM

Its hard to take direction from an entity who consumes or makes $10,000 bikes. I might listen to a person riding a 25 year old steel bike with sensible tires who rides to work everyday.

But if you have a stable of high end bikes and a closet full of Rapha, don’t tell me I’m the problem.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:01 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Its hard to take direction from an entity who consumes or makes $10,000 bikes. I might listen to a person riding a 25 year old steel bike with sensible tires who rides to work everyday.

But if you have a stable of high end bikes and a closet full of Rapha, don’t tell me I’m the problem.
This reply came in right after mine, so I don't know if it's for me.

Don't confuse what I do for a living with who I am. I chose to work alone, and for me to have sustained, I have to charge what I do. PS I have two matching bicycles that have each been repainted 8-9 times since 2007. And I own maybe 4 riding outfits.

Apologies if I've wrongly assumed you were posting to me.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post

I think you are way off the mark. Sounds like you have something against those who ride expensive bikes and wear Rapha?

That has nothing to do with the point being made here and the activism. Rapha is made in a factory in the same manner as the cotton t-shirt sold in a department store. Same with your 25 year old bike vs. a $10k Spesh. They are all produced and made from consumables which many believe are the root of the climate problem.

Any company and especially one that has the market’s eye/attention getting behind a cause is a good thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 07:19 PM

The Earth doesn't know who's Chinese, American or French.

One people, one earth.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:44 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
This reply came in right after mine, so I don't know if it's for me.

Don't confuse what I do for a living with who I am. I chose to work alone, and for me to have sustained, I have to charge what I do. PS I have two matching bicycles that have each been repainted 8-9 times since 2007. And I own maybe 4 riding outfits.

Apologies if I've wrongly assumed you were posting to me.
Suspect that he was referring to Specialized.